Profile for Mark Bowers > Reviews

Content by Mark Bowers

Mark Bowers (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
3x Pro Juggling Balls - Deluxe (LEATHER) Professional Juggling Balls Set of 3 +Fabric Travel Bag. (Black/Red)
Offered by Flames N Games Ltd-Specialist Juggling Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Feb. 2016
One word: amazing

The Secret of Platform 13
The Secret of Platform 13
by Eva Ibbotson

5.0 out of 5 stars Ibbotson novels are predictably brilliant, 6 Feb. 2014
I regularly read Ibbotson's novels to my 9 year old son and each one is perfect. This one has just the right amount of spooky and weird without being frightening for bedtime reading. She is such an accomplished writer.

Why Eating Bogeys is Good for You
Why Eating Bogeys is Good for You
by Mitchell Symons

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of fun (and revolting) facts..., 6 Feb. 2014
My kids both loved reading this series and my only regret is that whenever I ask my youngest to stop picking his nose he blinds me with science in his defence...

Quick & Flupke : Fasten Your Seat Belt
Quick & Flupke : Fasten Your Seat Belt
by Hergé

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and funky - perfect for 7-12 year olds, 6 Feb. 2014
This is a fun and sometimes whacky cartoon story of the 'Tintin' kind. My 9 year old loved it and I regret there aren't many more in translation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2015 11:05 PM GMT

Destination New York (Jo, Zette & Jocko)
Destination New York (Jo, Zette & Jocko)
by Hergé

5.0 out of 5 stars if your kids love Tintin, they will love this, 6 Feb. 2014
Bright, colourful and beautifully produced, a perfect gift for kids who've read all the Tintin books! Deserve to be read by more!

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed the way I think about myself., 6 Feb. 2014
This book was recommended to me by a friend who had re-evaluated herself after reading it. The same happened to me. I had always thought of myself as a sometimes reluctant extrovert, but having read this, I realise I have made introvert features. The science seems solid, the prose lucid and the experience of reading very rewarding.

Five Days
Five Days

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my absolute favourite but still a winner, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Five Days (Kindle Edition)
This is painted on a smaller canvas and not as powerful or moving as his other novels, but still a wonderful book. As with most Kennedy novels, I read it over just days.

The Mistake
The Mistake

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant read from the wonderful Douglas Kennedy, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Mistake (Kindle Edition)
What to say? Again, Kennedy has produced an excellent novel that (unusually) will be enjoyed by men and women of all ages. The universality of the themes and the careful depiction of place and character, is what makes his books so powerful.

The Reason I Jump: one boy's voice from the silence of autism: one boy's voice from the silence of autism

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated and does not resonate, 6 Feb. 2014
There are parts of this book that are both moving and informative but overall I think its overrated. I know this condition well and this book did not really resonate with me. I wonder if something was lost in translation?

Horrible Histories: Vile Victorians
Horrible Histories: Vile Victorians

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Histories wins again, 6 Feb. 2014
My 9 year old boy is not a quick reader but he wolfs the Horrible Histories down time and again. This was no exception. a great, funny, quirky and very informative read.

Page: 1 | 2