Profile for Fiona Millar > Reviews

Content by Fiona Millar

Fiona Millar "cookiemum" (Edinburgh)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Gallinée Hand Cream 50 ml
Gallinée Hand Cream 50 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars ... hand cream bills itself as something wondrously new and fantastic, and this one's selling point is that it ..., 1 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Every new hand cream bills itself as something wondrously new and fantastic, and this one's selling point is that it has a natural PH and 94% natural ingredient, along with a load of pre-, pro- and postbiotics. It doesn't contain any nasty chemicals and is not tested on animals, so all good plus points. It goes on the skin easily and is quickly absorbed, with no greasiness left behind. It certainly does what it says in terms of softening and moisturising the skin too, and I find the smell quite pleasant and not overpowering. I'm not sure it works any better than various other hand creams which are cheaper, but the high proportion of natural ingredients and the animal friendly testing policy I think make it worth that wee bit more.

Great Answers to Tough Questions at Work
Great Answers to Tough Questions at Work
by Michael Dodd

5.0 out of 5 stars The good thing is that the strategies and formula tips given ..., 1 April 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really comprehensive book which takes you through various strategies for dealing with difficult questions, not just in interview situations, but when something goes wrong at work and needs to be dealt with calmly and confidently. The author gives examples to let you see how to apply the principles shown into your own line of work, and as well as covering how to answer those tough questions verbally, the book also gives plenty of detail on prior preparation, how to use your body and voice to come across confidently, and how to deal with different personality types effectively.

The good thing is that the strategies and formula tips given here can be applied to pretty much any type of job, and none of it is too difficult either to remember or to apply. Very useful book if you want to be sure you're operating at your best professionally, and that you're ready for any tough question!

A Tragic Kind of Wonderful
A Tragic Kind of Wonderful
by Eric Lindstrom

3.0 out of 5 stars but I've rated it in terms of the enjoyment and involvement I felt while reading the story, 31 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mel is struggling with a lot of things - the loss of her brother, a falling out with her closest friends, and the pressures of hiding her bipolar disorder from everyone at school and at the care home where she works. Told from Mel's point of view, this book takes a close look at mental health and how it can colour and distort perceptions, and the pressures it puts on both the person dealing with those issues, and their friends and family.

From the point of view of the subject matter and how it's dealt with, this book probably deserves more than the three stars I've given it, but I've rated it in terms of the enjoyment and involvement I felt while reading the story. Because of Mel's issues, she doesn't always see the bigger picture - she's very inward-looking and self-absorbed at times, and that makes for quite a frustrating read and a character it's sometimes hard to warm to. The climax of the book doesn't really satisfy either, because of course there's not going to be an easy fix or a happy ending for Mel, and so understandably the book's ending feels a little incomplete. It's well written, insightful and thought-provoking, but I'm not sure I could say I really enjoyed it.

Postit 3M48777 Cube Joy Note Pad - Pink
Postit 3M48777 Cube Joy Note Pad - Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wee Post-It cube, 21 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great wee Post-It cube, featuring different colours - pink, orange, purple and a nice light pink sandwiched in the middle. These notes will stick nicely to all sorts of surfaces, and will accept pretty much every ink I've tried them with. A cube this size will last you a good while, and will make sure your notes and reminders will get noticed!

Évos | MTV Palais Hi-Res In-Ear Earphone with Built-in Microphone - Sliver/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I've never had earphones of such amazing quality before - the sound they produce is incredibly ..., 21 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first thought on these earphones were that they were incredibly expensive - I've only ever used cheaper earphones and couldn't see how these could be worth so much more money. I was totally wrong - they are worth every penny. I've never had earphones of such amazing quality before - the sound they produce is incredibly clear and crisp. It genuinely makes my music feel as close to live listening as possible - there's no sound there that shouldn't be, no hissing or static, just pure music. I turned the sound up totally to the maximum before it started to lose any quality - and you shouldn't be listening to music anywhere near that loud anyway! I've been going through my music library, and have listened to tracks where, despite having heard them hundreds of times, I've heard new layers to the music that had just never appeared with my cheaper earphones. Every instrument is clearly defined, with a perfect balance of bass and treble.

These fab earphones come with three different sizes of earbud, and a very handy little hard case so you can keep them safe in transit. They are very comfortable to wear, even for long periods of listening. I haven't been able to try out the Bluetooth feature, because my ancient phone throws a paddy when asked to do anything as difficult as pairing with devices. The build quality and sound of these earphones is amazing though, and if my review sounds totally gushy, I'm unrepentant - I completely love these earphones, and I'm loving listening to all of my music and hearing it as I've never heard it before. Could not recommend these any more highly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2017 10:41 AM BST

BRITA fill&go Vital Water Filter Bottle - Green
BRITA fill&go Vital Water Filter Bottle - Green

3.0 out of 5 stars and thought this would be great for taking out and about, 20 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My tap water tastes very strongly of chlorine, so I have a Brita jug filter, and thought this would be great for taking out and about. It certainly works just as well as the jug in removing the chlorine taste and giving good tasting water, however, the fact it's filtering as you drink means you don't get a very fast flow of water. Not much use if you're really thirsty, as you're literally having to suck the water out rather than just drink it. This also means that it's very difficult to drink from without making quite a lot of noise, which might be a bit embarrassing if you're using it at work, in the college library etc!

The spout doesn't pull up very far either, and the lid seems larger than necessary - it does stay out of the way while drinking though, and I've experienced no problems with any water leaking out. So far, I've been using this for keeping water beside me to drink while at home and through the night (I have cats who like to drink out of water glasses when you're asleep!). However, when it comes to taking water out and about, ultimately I've found it easier to take my insulated Klean Kanteen and fill that with filtered water from my Brita jug - it keeps it much colder than this bottle would, and is much easier to drink from.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2017 9:47 AM GMT

No, Thanks! I'm Quite Happy Standing!: Marie Sharp 4
No, Thanks! I'm Quite Happy Standing!: Marie Sharp 4
by Virginia Ironside

1.0 out of 5 stars Marie's insights are rarely funny, and often bitchy, 17 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's very rare that I would give a book a one star review, and even rarer that I would find myself unable to finish a book before reviewing it, but this one had me beat. 'Full of hilarious truths' according to the Daily Mail, and that endorsement tells you all you need to know about the target audience for this tripe.

Marie is a granny, and this book tells a year of her life in diary form. Usually, this kind of epistolary novel relates interesting events, but not so with Marie. Instead, we're treated to turgid tales of her babysitting her grandson, her new iPhone, her on/off relationship with her ex-husband, and repeated insights into just how deeply unlikeable she is - summed up when her house is targeted in a spate of break-ins. As a burglar alarm rep tells her how others in the area have lost deeply sentimental items, Marie replies 'I don't want to know any more. I feel sorry enough for myself, frankly, without having to feel sorry for anyone else right at this moment'. When she travels to India with her friends, she notes the starving children and deep poverty, but only in the most superficial manner and with an unease which seems to dissipate quickly enough.

This is a book which your typical Daily Mail reader might well chuckle over - things are described as 'jolly', 'frightful' or 'ghastly', the nearby council estate is of course bursting at the seams with thieves, drug dealers and people who've never worked, and despite a weak attempt to display an open attitude towards immigrants, the racist undertones can't help but bubble through now and again. Perfectly illustrated when Marie is caught in a traffic jam where folk stuck in it get out of their cars for fresh air. She briefly mentions a Polish truck driver and a Chinese woman using a laptop (lazy stereotyping 101!), neither of whom interact with her, but there's also an 'amiable English gent' who plucks hedgerow flowers to give to a young lady missing her birthday party - we are also 'treated' to him showing off his knowledge of every native flower he has picked. This kind of lazy colonial attitude pervades the entire book.

Marie's insights are rarely funny, and often bitchy, even towards her own family and friends. If that's your cup of tea, perhaps you'll identify with Marie and find her 'full of hilarious truths', but after enduring half of this book, I had no desire to spend any more time with such a pompous, unpleasant and frankly dull character.

Summer Shadows (FINDING SKY)
Summer Shadows (FINDING SKY)
by Joss Stirling

5.0 out of 5 stars an easy read with tension, 15 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The final chapter of the savant series which started with Finding Sky, this book tells the story of Summer, a gifted savant who can control minds, but whose life is controlled by her mother's twisted savant ability and her father using Summer to keep her in place. Summer finds herself torn when the Benedict family ask for her help in tracking down Victor, who has gone AWOL in order to find and rescue his soulfinder, who has been framed and is languishing in a jail in Afghanistan.

This book is just as enjoyable as the rest, an easy read with tension, danger, romance and humour all well-balanced to give a pleasing read. It isn't strictly necessary to have read the previous books, but it certainly is helpful to keep track of all the characters and their relationship to each other. A great end to the series, and I'll be interested to see what Stirling writes next.

Hallmark Mum Mother's Day Card "Lovely" - Medium
Hallmark Mum Mother's Day Card "Lovely" - Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Mother's Day card with a very sweet wee verse and cute wee illustrations, 13 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely Mother's Day card with a very sweet wee verse and cute wee illustrations. It's a good quality card, as you'd expect from Hallmark, and it's perfect for mums who don't like flowery soppiness - this is neither too soppy sweet or too lighthearted, but a nice balance of funny, sweet and loving.

My Embarrassing Dad's Gone Viral!
My Embarrassing Dad's Gone Viral!
by Ben Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars I always find them very entertaining and funny. This book follows the exploits of Nelson, 11 Mar. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've read a few of Ben Davis's books, and despite the fact I'm not in any way the target audience, I always find them very entertaining and funny. This book follows the exploits of Nelson, who comes home from school one day to find that his mum has left him, his dad and his little sister Mary. As if this wasn't bad enough, his dad soon decides they should pack up, move to the sticks, abandon modern technology, and spend their lives whittling and being one with nature!

Nelson decides he has to raise enough money to persuade his mum to come back, and he's sure he can become a successful vlogger - things don't quite go to plan, until he inadvertently films his dad at his eccentric, whittling, wild-living best, and suddenly Nelson's dad becomes an internet sensation. Unfortunately, he's the only one who doesn't know it, and Nelson knows it's only a matter of time before the whole thing blows up in his face. Can he get his mum to come back to them before that happens?

This is very funny, but also very touching and poignant, as Nelson and Mary try to cope with both their parents abandoning their former roles - Davis combines the serious side of the story and the comedy very well, and the book builds to a very satisfying conclusion. It's almost a shame that it does - I'd have gladly read more about Nelson and his Grizzly Dadams father!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20