Profile for jts.author@euphony.net > Reviews

Content by jts.author@eup...

jts.author@euphony.net (Guernsey, Channel Islands)

Page: 1 | 2
The Golden Keel
The Golden Keel
by Desmond Bagley

5.0 out of 5 stars STRANGER THAN FICTION!, 31 May 2001
This review is from: The Golden Keel (Paperback)
The fact that Desmond Bagley picked up the threads of this his first novel from an ex WWII soldier in a Jo'burg bar is a fact known only to a few people. Being mentored by the great man in the last years of his life, I learned the story over our evening cocktail when the day's education/advice into the many and varied aspects of novel writing was over. So, if you haven't read Bagley's first novel I urge you to do so. And remember this tale of fiction is quite possibly a little more than that! I have passed on the full backround to its genesis to Nigel Alefounder who runs the Desmond Bagley official webpage...
Nigel is currently in the process of adding this to the autobiography section of that webpage. In the meanwhile I hope you enjoy this superior action adventure. DB always called it his lucky book. For a first novel of its time I would say superior.
John Templeton Smith

Blott on the Landscape
Blott on the Landscape
by Tom Sharpe

5.0 out of 5 stars THANK GOD FOR TOM SHARPE, 16 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Blott on the Landscape (Paperback)
Sharpe makes me laugh on depressing Winter days (which last for nine months of the year in the West Midlands). As British television is so mediocre, this is good. "Blott on the Landscape", as with everything else Sharpe has penned, is my guaranteed fix on keeping my sanity - i.e. laughter is the best medicine. As a writer of fiction for the last 20 odd years, I have long given up reading fiction as my analytical mind invariably works out the denoument in about the first 20 pages. Sharpe is different, he keeps me smiling in a world that has forgotten how to smile.

Archangel
Archangel
by Robert Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars PROFESSIONAL, 6 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Archangel (Paperback)
As a writer of action fiction I rarely read it, finding that my analytical self moves in to gear from page one and not only attempts to resolve the tale to a one line precis, but tries to seek out those niggling little flaws that the author and the copy editor have somehow missed. However, on a recent airline trip of considerable length, I picked up this book from an airport book shop, for nothing more than the appealing title (and memories of a spy story I wrote in that neck of the woods during the cold war).
An excellent premise, well conceived, researched, plotted, and written. In a word: Professional.
This from John Templeton Smith.

High Citadel
High Citadel
by Desmond Bagley

5.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE BEST ..., 15 Nov. 2000
This review is from: High Citadel (Paperback)
I have just re-read this book after many years. Suffice to say it has lost none of its brilliance. Indeed for any pilots and ex-pilots out there, I challenge you to come away from this story not believing that the author was an ex-flyer himself. Yet nothing could be further from the truth. Bagley was simple a writer of the first rank who had long since realised that the key to a good novel was the depth of research. It was a tip he passed on to me, and one I have endeavoured to pass along to other aspiring writers. Read Bagley for the first time and I guarantee you'll end up reading all fifteen novels he produced before his untimely death in 1984.
From John Templeton Smith.

Porterhouse Blue
Porterhouse Blue
by Tom Sharpe

5.0 out of 5 stars MORE THAN HUMOUR - SHARPE IS A NATIONAL TREASURE., 2 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Porterhouse Blue (Paperback)
Porterhouse Blue is without doubt one of Tom Sharpe's funniest books. I remember reading it for the first time some years ago. I had picked it up at Heathrow prior to boarding a New York bound 747. I think the stewardess thought I was having a seizure - people do not normally sit in an airline seat and laugh until they cry! Such was the effect of this story. I think it should be prescribed on the National Health, make people forget their ills. Brilliant read.

Page: 1 | 2