Profile for J. Poole > Reviews

THE TABLECLOTH SHOP Atlas Wipe Clean Oilcloth Tablecloth 1.5 Metres
THE TABLECLOTH SHOP Atlas Wipe Clean Oilcloth Tablecloth 1.5 Metres
Offered by Designer Fabrics Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Kid Love It, 18 Jan. 2013
This is very nice and the kids love it, seems very hard wearing so far. I would recommend to others.

Trojan Horse
Trojan Horse

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Dull for a "Cyber-Thriller", 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Trojan Horse (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to like this book as I generally love this type of thing, but it took ages to get going (kept introducing more and more characters and then leaving them before anything really happens). Things finally start to gel about a third of the way in but really, a thriller should keep you on the edge of your seat and this one did not. The characters were not interesting to me and I kept finding reasons to put it down.

Mean Moms Rule: Why Doing the Hard Stuff Now Creates Good Kids Later
Mean Moms Rule: Why Doing the Hard Stuff Now Creates Good Kids Later
by Denise Schipani

3.0 out of 5 stars The Latest Foray Into The "Mommy Wars"..., 25 Nov. 2012
Just what we need, another non-expert (a blogger turned author) telling us all what we're doing wrong in raising our children, based on no professional expertise or empirical evidence beyond "well, this is how MY Mommy did it and it was good enough for her!"

I actually agree with a lot of her parenting philosophy (boils down to "don't spoil your children" -- there I just saved you £8), but I just don't feel that the publishing industry is doing women any favours by turning blogs of OPINION into parenting manuals presented as anything more than that -- one lady's opinion about how she raises her kids (who are still only 6 and 8 -- the jury is hardly back on how SHE performed as a parent and how well these philosophies worked for her kids).

Not terrible but not needed when mothers today are already so hard on themselves and dealing with so much conflicting "advice."

Maine
Maine
by Courtney Sullivan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Characters But No Plot, 9 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Maine (Paperback)
I enjoyed the writing style and the characters, who were all very different and interesting. However, nothing actually seemed to happen in the book and it seemed to be more of a character study than a real story.

Broken Harbour: Dublin Murder Squad:  4.  Winner of the LA Times Book Prize for Best Mystery/Thriller and the Irish Book Award for Crime Fiction Book of the Year (Dublin Murder Squad series)
Broken Harbour: Dublin Murder Squad: 4. Winner of the LA Times Book Prize for Best Mystery/Thriller and the Irish Book Award for Crime Fiction Book of the Year (Dublin Murder Squad series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Hers I've Read, 3 Aug. 2012
I enjoyed this book a lot, more twists and surprises than her previous novel, and the crime was more interesting and suspenseful. Great read; I will read more by this author.

Faithful Place: Dublin Murder Squad:  3 (Dublin Murder Squad series)
Faithful Place: Dublin Murder Squad: 3 (Dublin Murder Squad series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Flavour of Ireland in a Decent Crime Story, 29 July 2012
I agree with the other reviewers who say that the story and the mystery may be a bit lacking, and even the small "twists" follow the genre's predictable pattern. However, I loved the language and the Irish dialogue and turns of phrase, and the story and characters are interesting enough to keep me reading to the end. I wouldn't rush out and read another of hers (since I read many reviews saying this is her best), but if you are looking for a decent crime novel this one isn't bad.

Wife 22
Wife 22

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Wife 22 (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and found the voice of the 40-something protagonist to be unique and real. The contact with the researcher did feel a bit forced, though Alice's answers to the questions were often hilarious. I did predict the ending about halfway through, so the big "twist" or surprise was completely obvious to me and I found the ending a bit of a letdown. But overall I enjoyed the descriptions of marriage and parenthood in your 40s and really enjoyed the (very realistic) uses of Facebook and technology.

Bond Girl
Bond Girl

2.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Naive and Silly, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Bond Girl (Kindle Edition)
I tried to enjoy this book, but to anyone remotely familiar with finance, it was a pretty ordinary tale of her entry into the industry after university. I suppose because I know many people in this industry, I was not shocked by or very interested in the macho atmosphere on the trading floor. This ground has all been covered before in much more interesting memoirs.

And the author annoyed me with her naivety about the job she was taking (especially after explaining how her father was an investment banker and so she basically grew up in the industry). She shows up on her first day of her new job, after achieving a finance degree, and still has no idea what anyone is talking about and unable to do basic maths or even use her own calculator on her first day, which struck me as ridiculous.

I didn't even make it halfway through this book before it bored me. Perhaps it is meant for someone younger or with no familiarity with the industry, who may find it eye-opening or interesting. I didn't.

No Cheating, No Dying: I Had a Good Marriage. Then I Tried to Make It Better.
No Cheating, No Dying: I Had a Good Marriage. Then I Tried to Make It Better.
by Elizabeth Weil

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Memoir On The Nitty Gritty of a Marriage, 19 Jun. 2012
I really enjoyed this brief memoir. The parts which were about her and her marriage were the best-written and the most interesting. The parts that were about marriage in general and trying out various ways to "fix" a marriage seemed more artificial to me and less authentic, but I always feel that way when a book uses some kind of artificial construct to structure it.

I would have enjoyed more depth and detail to the memoir bits and less to the various theories on what makes a good marriage (which is impossible to define anyway). The fixing up the house, welcoming kids into a house with 2 career writers, getting to the heart of various disputes over family obligations, dealing with the fallout of loss and guilt of a pregnancy that went wrong, and the husband's coping mechanism of extreme cooking were all very interesting (and could have been longer and more detailed), while the sessions at the various therapists (verbally "mirroring" each other's feelings, expressing sexual jealousy over former lovers) were a bit dull for me. As I said, I would have liked more memoir and less artifice. It seemed like she was just going through these various motions because she was writing a book.

I would read another memoir by this author, certainly. I found her to be intelligent, interesting, and honest.

Pure
Pure
by Andrew Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Atmosphere And Setting But "So What" Plot, 5 May 2012
This review is from: Pure (Paperback)
I loved the setting and the descriptions of Paris were wonderful, however I kept waiting for something to happen that would drive the plot forward. I felt like the author was using the demolition of the cemetery as the plot instead of as the backdrop for a more interesting plot. There were good characters and a sense of place, but the story just didn't keep me interested, sadly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7