Profile for Stewie4of5 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Sarah Jane Adventures - The Complete Series 3 Box Set [DVD]
The Sarah Jane Adventures - The Complete Series 3 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Elisabeth Sladen

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely loved Liz Sladen as Sarah-Jane Smith, 6 April 2016
I absolutely loved Liz Sladen as Sarah-Jane Smith. My only grip is why aren't the earlier season on blu ray yet? Yes please , thank you very much!

Lost in Space: The Complete Adventures [Region 1]
Lost in Space: The Complete Adventures [Region 1]
Offered by Newtownvideo_EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Explain to me why it wasn't colourised like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, 1 Mar. 2016
I bought Lost in Space box set many years ago now! I understood the first season was filmed in B/W . But! Explain to me why it wasn't colourised like Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Then we could've had a choice. Bewitched and others were offered in America in B/W and as colourised.
With a little effort the sound track could've been transformed at least into digital stereo rather than digital mono. Even mono shows over the years have been redone into 5.1 or does that mean the cost is too high? All in all it will be nice to see the show in HDD. but I still think the producers could've done better!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2017 11:28 PM GMT

The Six Wives Of Henry VIII - Complete Series [1970] [DVD]
The Six Wives Of Henry VIII - Complete Series [1970] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Keith Michell

5.0 out of 5 stars Fortunately for us the viewing public, 25 Feb. 2016
I watched this series upon it's release on TV here Australia many years ago and later went to an exhibition of the costumes. It was what has become *the typical genius * of the wardrobe department at the BBC . how they created these costumes on less than a shoe string budget!
Fortunately for us the viewing public, the funds received allowed the production of Elizabeth R. where Glenda's costumes were in some cases accurate reproduction of some of Elizabeth's dresses from paintings of the time! The actresses that played the part of Henry's wives are still household names and have gone on to many things, also what ever happened to Keith Michell?

Elizabeth R (3 Disc Box Set) [1971] [DVD]
Elizabeth R (3 Disc Box Set) [1971] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Glenda Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars This will be short and sweet! Without doubt the most superb re-creation of Elizabethan ..., 25 Feb. 2016
This will be short and sweet! Without doubt the most superb re-creation of Elizabethan times and indeed Elizabeth herself.
The dvd set is truly worthy of being totally restored and re-released on blu ray. Glenda Jackson and Robert Hardy are superb!
I adore Vivian Pickles as Mary!

Reign - Season 2
Reign - Season 2
Dvd ~ Adelaide Kane
Offered by Atomic Movies

3.0 out of 5 stars (who by the way is an Aussie from Perth) Megan gets all the good, fun lines, 21 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Reign - Season 2 (Hardcover)
Just where do I begin! Most of the fabrics wouldn't have been available in the 16th Century, certainly not zips, check out Catherine's dresses.
Apart from actual historical events being added to or completely changed. Francis didn't kill his father, Catherine didn't kill Diane the list goes on.
Ok, it took a while to work out this is loosely based on Mary Queen of Scots. I have personally visited both Ladies graves in West Minister Abby, I dare say Mary will be turning in hers. I first (like many ) saw Megan in Anne of green gables, what an impact that made on people peoples lives.
Now a few* years later she is a star of this show, as noted by Adelaide, (who by the way is an Aussie from Perth) Megan gets all the good, fun lines!
But the clincher and might I add it also happened in Murdoch Mysteries was when Mary was sipping her tea from a Royal Daulton "Old Country Roses" cup and saucer, which by the way didn't come about until 1962 in the 16th century as in Mary or the 19th in Murdoch.
It's these little things along with the moulded aluminium goblets that spoil the grandeur of the show, play with the anacruses by all means, but the clothes and the props? Now you Catherine fronting up face to face with Elizabeth (she must be chuckling on the other side! Walsingham would've had her head the moment she set foot in England! Will season 3 she Mary in Scotland? Francis dead from his brain abscess in his brain, Catherine as Regent whilst her other sons are too young to rule. What will ever happen to Claude? All at a time money buy anything, including a place in heaven! The church hasn't changed much not even 5ooyears r so later! Mary Queen of Scots the movie with Vanessa Redgrave and of course the Great Glenda Jackson as Elizabeth in Elizabeth R. If Mary was anything as she is portrayed in Reign* she wouldn't have so foolish as to be used by the church as martyr for the Catholic cause. historians are shaking their heads and probably wagging more than their finger ant the massively inaccurate account of all the main characters in this drama. I think a disclaimer should have been made before screening and sale of the show/dvd. Yes I've enjoyed it, but spent equally as much time delving into the place for the *truth*. It is disrespectful to speak Ill of the dead!

Supergirl - Season 1 [Includes Digital Download] [Blu-ray] [2016] [Region Free]
Supergirl - Season 1 [Includes Digital Download] [Blu-ray] [2016] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Melissa Benoist

3.0 out of 5 stars THe Original Premis for Super Girl!, 11 Jan. 2016
Don't get me wrong, I can understand updating story lines etc. to a modern theme. I watched the Super Girl Movie many years ago which was nothing more than a show case for Faye Dunaway and Brenda Vicaro (sorry if mis-spelt she hasn't been around for a while)
In the movie the entire Argo city had been projected into the phantom zone, in the comics it was deemed unacceptable. Argo city was shot into space with it's protective weather doom. After a while it approached a yellow sun and turned to Kryptonite. Zorel and Aullura Kara/super girl's parents packed her off to earth to be with her cousin Kalel in a rocket/space ship! Zorel and Aullura projected themselves into the Survival zone a dimension simular but detached from the Phantom Zone! Kara did a manual landing ,Superman caught up with Kara when she arrived on earth and helped her set up a secret identity Linda Lee. She was placed in an orphanage was later adopted by the Danvers hence she became Linda Lee Danvers. Only superman ever (rarely) used her birth name of Kara. Why these details have to be changed is beyond me, it's like changing Clark Kent to Cary Strongbridge! get it? not necessary! Don't get me started on Kryptonite Green, red, gold, blue and white!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2016 3:02 PM BST

Steps - The Ultimate Tour Live [DVD]
Steps - The Ultimate Tour Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steps

2.0 out of 5 stars Out of STEP!, 25 Oct. 2015
I've been a fan from almost the beginning, didn't care for 5678! I've watched several of the concert DVD's and only a few of the songs do they actually sing live! The rest is lip sync and dancing. Not what I call value for money at a concert these days. I came across them doing Chain reaction at the London Palladium, no dancing everyone standing in front of Mic's hand movements only and not sounding all that good either.
They are a studio (manufactured) group, which is fine! Like a say I enjoy their songs and videos but they can't sing and dance live like the used to do (not)! So if they what to get together , record albums fine! But if you can't sing live in concert why bother going!

Murdoch Mysteries - Series 5 [DVD]
Murdoch Mysteries - Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yannick Bisson

5.0 out of 5 stars We now have season 5 which is wonderful, love the characters, 22 May 2015
We here in Australia have had problems with the re-release of the Murdoch Mysteries series, as ITV have seemed to have changed distributors, so we were basically hung out to dry waiting for the re-release of season 5 in particular. We have 1,2,3,46,7. and have been waiting and waiting for Village Roadshow to gain the distribution rights, but as you can see patience is not something we have in abundance when we seemed to have been hung out to dry! Amazon is the place to go! We now have season 5 which is wonderful, love the characters, Doctor Julia who as it turns out in real life is from Perth Western Australia . We hope there are many more fascinating, well written/acted season to come! Many thanks Amazon.

Doctor Who - The Web Planet [DVD] [1965]
Doctor Who - The Web Planet [DVD] [1965]
Dvd ~ William Hartnell

5.0 out of 5 stars The good olde' days!, 30 Mar. 2015
There are a few of the First Doctor's adventures which are truly compelling! This is one of them, Like a few others they would benefit being upgraded to blu ray quality and colorized! I've seen many colour stills from the Hartnell era (and yes Bill was right, it should've been filmed in colour!) The atmosphere that was created for this particular story was unique especially for the time, and the budget! Watching the adventures through time and space and looking at and remembers how the characters all looked back in the 60's was a real buzz! The original companions were almost like family and was at times hard to say goodbye! Even worse when the were killed, remember Sarah Kingdom! Perhaps the Doctor and Co could return to Vortis at sometime. It was also a time when we got to see more and spend more time in the Tardis, it was a wonderful set, much better than what was to come, especially up to the McCoy era! I've seen many of the models and creatures at various displays across the UK. Even the Mechanoid at Blackpool! This, and other complete stories would benefit and cross the great divide of time (sadly so many wont watch b/w, I don't see colour as a replacement, more as an option. These days the main characters complain they don't get enough lines if there are too many companions! Seemed to have worked just fine here! Raise your glass to the First Doctor, the original you might say!

Doctor Who - Last Christmas [Blu-ray]
Doctor Who - Last Christmas [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi
Offered by Champion Toys

5.0 out of 5 stars Ho Ho Ho, 26 Mar. 2015
Technically speaking the very first Christmas episode was way back in Bill Hartnell's tenure as the Doctor. Remember the epic Dalek story, that they toned down for Christmas. I like the Christmas stories, all of them. They have a message of peace and hope! I remember the very Christmas I was told, there really wasn't a Santa Clause , I was about 5 or 6yo. Truth be told our parents went out Christmas Eve, got home late and slept in Christmas Morning! I smile and get that fuzzy feeling watching children's faces around Christmas time and of coarse the true meaning of Christmas.
Just because it's the Doctor it doesn't mean someone, anyone has to be exterminated, especially at Christmas! Great DVD Great extras, it will be part of the next seasons dvd release just in time for next christmas

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4