Profile for David > Reviews

Content by David

David "mombasadog" (Frankfurt Am Main, Germany)

Page: 1 | 2
Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens for Canon
Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens for Canon

5.0 out of 5 stars A grade camera at a C- Price, 31 May 2015
You might think that because this lens is cheap, that it is not very good. I use it on an A7 with a Fotodiox pro adapter and I am delighted with the results. It is sharp and suffers from no Chromatic Aberration at any focal length that I can detect at greater than 100%. It has no stabilisation, is this a problem? No it isn't, mostly I use this handheld and only in manual focus (AF doesn't work adapted to an A7). I would like to say that the Macro mode is superb, read the instructions on how to move the switch, it depends on where the zoom ring is set to enter macro mode, and where the focus ring is set to return to normal mode !

You do not need better than this unless you are a perfectionist who likes to spot edge of frame issues magnified at 400% or unless you have plenty of money and want to keep up with the photographic jones. Personally I would not pay an extra 1,000 quid to get the Sony equivalent with 100mm less reach, the same speed and stabilisation. Even paying the extra 100 quid to get the Tamron with stabilisation but no macro feature isn't worth it unless you've got the DT's ! It is rarely off my A7, and when it is, it is because I am using wider angle.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Googo GG-25 2.4GHz Mini Portable Wifi Wireless Video Surveillance Camera Baby Call Nursery Monitor, White/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Peace of Kit, 22 May 2015
This is great. I paid 30 euro's for it and it works fine. I couldn't find the App for Android and so i downloaded the iPhone app onto my iPad Air 2 and it works fine. Not sure what some of the reviewers expected for this price but it doesn't do HD quality and it is plasticky but its perfectly adequate to see what's going on. It works well all over my (3,500 sq ft) house. If this lasts for 1 year then it is worth every penny, don't be put off by bad reviews, but if you are some sort of dyllis that expects $500 worth of kit for this price, spend $500 and get an HD one, plenty about ! I would say this is adequate for spying on neighbours, checking that your wife isn't cheating on you, making sure you guests don't steal from you, toddler monitor (if you have children) just about anything.

Samsung NX30 18-55 Kit - Black (20.3MP, Digital IS + OIS) 3 inch AMOLED
Samsung NX30 18-55 Kit - Black (20.3MP, Digital IS + OIS) 3 inch AMOLED
Offered by WAA Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Overcame Prejudice to find a gem of a camera range, 10 Sept. 2014
I am heavily invested into the Micro Four Thirds (MFT) / Panasonic range but I have used this camera albeit for a weekend and I was most impressed. The image quality is better than my MFT 14-42mm, and I did blow up to inspect this particularly. I was prejudiced against Samsung by other MFT evangelists but I have no axe to grind, it is better than my Lumix G6, and has more features than you can through a stick at including wifi that actually works (eventually). I am going to buy the NX1000 because of the massive price drop and the 18-200mm lens, and this is the achilles heal of the Samsung NX range, 200mm is the longest lens you can get at the moment, this is 300mm in 35mm terms and is a couple of hundred shorter than I would like but I understand the Olympus 1.7x tele converter screws nicely onto the front giving a reach of just over 500mm. I am buying it because of the price, wifi, size and quality of image, I reckon the NX30 will be under 350 pounds next year and all being well we should see a 300mm lens. This weekend I will do a Youtube review against the G6 under the pseudonym Reg Oswaldtwistle if you are in two minds.

Panasonic DMC-FZ72 Camera Black 16.1MP 60xZoom 3.0LCD FHD 20mm Lumix DC Vario
Panasonic DMC-FZ72 Camera Black 16.1MP 60xZoom 3.0LCD FHD 20mm Lumix DC Vario
Offered by L&J Photo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Ultra Zoom Bridge Camera, 13 Aug. 2014
This is well worth the money as long as you keep your expectations in check.

1) Image quality. In good light conditions with this camera it is easy to produce great images. In lower light conditions, the small sensor will require you to work harder. On longer zooms, you will work very hard to maintain good focus and good pictures especially above 900mm (35m equivalent) but images are good enough up to 60x with a solid tripod, they tend to diminish with intelligent zoom which is effectively enhanced cropping anyway.

2) Zoom. This is what this camera is all about, and it is quite excellent. I compared images against my heavy DSLR APS-C at 500 mm zoom, the limit of my DSLR and in good sunlight so far, I was pushed to pick out the better image, the DSLR took the prize though in terms of clear pixel forms and realistic colours but only when magnifying to 200%. At A4 there was no discernible difference. At 1000 mm, I had to crop the DSLR image to compare and the Panasonic leaped ahead. The advantage of a large sensor quickly disappears over optical zoom.

3) Build quality is fine but in Panasonic terms below average. But given that Panasonic usually make cameras out of top quality materials, most people will be happy with it, and I am. Be aware that knobs and dials are a bit cheap looking and feeling.

4) Handling. This is a nice handling camera, it has a large grip, and after some time in use, the necessary dials and buttons are easy to find and you never feel like you are going to drop it. It has a pleasant tactile feel to it and well balanced in one hand.

5) Features. Plenty to play with here (read the spec elsewhere), the only extra I would like is one of these red dot trackers for snapping Aeroplanes at full zoom, that said, you can switch to the optical view finder and this will be good enough with a little practice.

Because of the zoom, portability and control, I am a big fan of Bridge cameras, yes it can be harder work to get a good image than a DSLR in some conditions, the advantages in weight in most circumstances makes it worth the extra effort.

This camera gets some criticism by the "expert" reviewers, in my 40 years as a snapper, I have found that it takes weeks of use to get the best out of any camera, they get half a day. Life is a compromise, I like to take photos of bad weather on a "dark and stormy night", 60% of my DSLR photos go into an album, I have also taken some great images with my pocket Nikon s9300 with a 1/2.3 sensor but maybe with a 20% success rate, and that's what I mean by hard work ! It's a nice challenge to squeeze out top quality from a Bridge, and that's what it's all about for me.

I look forward to posting some from my FZ72 soon.

Samsung NX1000 SMART Digital Compact System Camera - Black (20.3MP, 20-50mm Lens Kit) 3.0 inch LCD
Offered by WAA Electronics

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sensor, Good Camera, Poor Lens support limited to 200mm, 1 Aug. 2014
First off this is a great camera, I cannot fault the images, it is light to carry and has all the features of a good all round camera with a DSLR type sensor.

If you will only buy one camera however, this isn't it. It is intended to be a small light camera yet it comes out of the box with an oversized 20-50mm lens which is not wide enough for landscapes and at full zoom is good for portraits. The second problem is the good lenses are very expensive upwards of £300 for the 16-50mm power zoom, £1000 for the pro 16-50mm lens and some fisheye through wide angle fixed length pancake lenses. The real killer, is that the longest zoom is 50-200mm at £250, this is it, this weighs in at a 35mm equivalent of 75-300mm ish.

If you assemble the minimum collection of interchangeable lenses you need the minimum 20-50mm and 50-200mm which as a package is around £500. The 50-200mm is long and heavy although the pictures are great, If you want to zoom in on aircraft, take sports photos close up or wildlife, you've had it.

I recommend a bridge camera with their incredible wide angle to long zoom (1200mm and upwards) and capable of taking great images in good light or if you want to get artistic, get a DSLR or CSC from a manufacturer with good lens support. You may not think you need a 1200mm lens, but buying a camera that doesn't give you the option is not necessary when there are plenty of other manufacturers who support their cameras with a full range of lenses.

I suspect many people feel this, and that's why RRP have dropped from over £500 to £150 in a matter of months.

Best Kept Secret: 3 (The Clifton Chronicles)
Best Kept Secret: 3 (The Clifton Chronicles)
by Jeffrey Archer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic !, 5 July 2014
Haven't read it yet but if its as good as the other three I will be delighted. Paid 1p, delivered quickly, great condition.

The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles)
The Sins of the Father (The Clifton Chronicles)
by Jeffrey Archer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !, 5 July 2014
Great story, paid 1p, very good condition, delivered quickly.

Bug-A-Salt - Original Salt Shooter - Perfect For Pesky Flies!
Bug-A-Salt - Original Salt Shooter - Perfect For Pesky Flies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but no need to pay more than £45 elsewhere., 5 July 2014
Look on on Google and buy it for £45.

Gore Bike Wear Path Men's Cycling Trousers
Gore Bike Wear Path Men's Cycling Trousers

5.0 out of 5 stars Id love these but, 23 May 2013
I have a 41" waist and 31" inside leg (medium stocky) and just don't have sufficient sizing information to order online, shame really, and you would think a seller would appreciate that and especially where items cannot be adjusted.

Adults TWO PAIR PACK More Mile cushioned LONDON running sock
Adults TWO PAIR PACK More Mile cushioned LONDON running sock
Offered by The Sportswear Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Sleep Alone Again !, 12 May 2013
I received these as a free gift from my great grandmother who is 93 years old on Tuesday, requires a walking stick and is blind in one eye. She was born in Ealing but due to ill health moved to Silvertown to take advantage of better quality air, she trains twice a week for veterans triathalon but over the last 5 or so years has started to get ankle pain and occasional blisters when transitioning between the cycling and running stages. Her psychiatrist kept telling her that it was all in her mind but there was no conning the old fox, she knew better. She decided to change her socks which she had knitted herself when times were hard during the war, it used to help take her mind off the sound of bombs detonating during the blitz. Whilst out doing some Fartlek down Mile End road, she saw these socks in a second hand charity shop and purchased them. She persevered for two long years but ultimately she could not get used to them, as she always says, "..a little change is a good thing, but no change is better..". Her inability to keep up with progress was my good fortune however, low and behold, the following Christmas, wrapped in an old newspaper (thrifty old sweety that she is) were these lovely fashion socks, recently hand washed and ready for use. Any road up, to cut a long story short, I do not run due to excessive participation in the modern western diet but I somehow feel athletic when I don them for bed, they keep my feet warm and cosy, to be honest, and I am not sure whether it is the socks, but I have lost 2 lbs already, and I've only had them 5 months, I give it 5 stars just for that !

Page: 1 | 2