Profile for ange2670 > Reviews

ange2670

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

5.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't already read it! Buy it! Read it! Enjoy it!, 27 July 2016
A fantastic thriller with loads of twists and turns. I read it on holiday and couldn't put it down until it was finished. . . my family were completely ignored for a whole day!

I am not going to give a synopsis . . .there are plenty out there. All I am going to say is read it! You will be riveted!

The Torn Up Marriage
The Torn Up Marriage

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written story, 27 July 2016
Kate's life is torn apart when her husband admits to having an affair.

This is the story of Kate trying to rebuild her life with her daughters and I found all the characters realistic and very well written. I felt real empathy for Kate. . . I especially loved her in-laws who were definitely on her side!

A great story that just describes the day to day routine of a woman trying to get to grips with a new reality. No major events, no thrills or spills, no big bangs or explosions. . . just a straightforward story, beautifully told.

The Prodigal Sister
The Prodigal Sister

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written family saga, 27 July 2016
This story moves from present day to the events that happened in the past which blow a happy family unit apart.

After the sudden death of their parents, 18 year old Rebecca Lambert takes on the mantle of both mother and father for her three, younger sisters. What happens during this period is told through letters written by the youngest, Cathy, to her dead mother. These letters take us up to the events that lead to Cathy running away at 15 years of age.

Cathy is now settled in New Zealand and, after years of silence, has invited her sisters to her wedding. The sisters are three completely different personalities, with completely different lives and much of the story is taken up with their adventures on their way to get to Cathy's wedding.

I am not going to give too much away here but this story is beautifully written and covers the complexities of family life beautifully - and also reiterates the importance of communication and honesty with the ones you love before its too late.

A lovely book and well worth a read.

The Good Lawyer: A Novel
The Good Lawyer: A Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars A fast-paced page turner., 27 July 2016
Nick Mannino is a legal aid lawyer with a mafioso uncle and a richer than rich DA girlfriend! Add to this mix his having to defend a man who has been charged with three counts of sexual assault on little boys and you have the recipe for a fast paced, intriguing book.

The story was fast paced and while, at times, I had to slow down a bit just to take stock of everything that had happened, I found it a riveting page turner, not knowing what the heck was going to happen next.

It was a bit John Grisham-esque but without all the legal language that sometimes overwhelms me when reading his novels.

A really enjoyable read with plenty of twists and turns. Well worth giving it a go!

A Better Life
A Better Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't make it to the end, 20 Nov. 2015
This review is from: A Better Life (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the book at the start. Anna's adoptive mum has recently died and now her adoptive dad is remarrying a woman that she hardly knows and is moving to Scotland. Just as Anna begins to feel the void left by the absence of her parents, her Italian birth mother appears with news that Anna's birth father is near to death. The book quickly moves from London to Rome where the Grescobaldi family live. This was where the book began to descend into farce for me - too many characters, too many things going on and too many gaps in the writing. I managed to read on for a bit because I was genuinely interested in Anna but just couldn't do it. By the time the newly widowed Sophia (her mum) appears from Rome and stays with Anna the whole story just fell apart for me. I just couldn't give the story any credence nor any more time. I thought I was going to love this book because my family are from Rome and I have been there many times and so assumed that I would just immerse myself in the writing and let the story carry me along. Alas, it was not to be.

The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle
The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written book, 21 Oct. 2015
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Its set mainly on Arran and, although, I have never visited the island myself (despite living in Glasgow) I found myself visualising the place in my mind's eye. The story moves between present day, with the story of Martha who is trying to find out more about Elizabeth Pringle who has made this strange bequest to her mother, and the past with the story of Elizabeth herself being recounted in the first person through her memoir.

I am not going to tell you any of the story but what I will say is that as I read it, I smiled, I cried, I was surprised and genuinely moved. To many Elizabeth was just an old lady who had never left the island of Arran but when you read her story you understand what a strong woman she had been - I suppose this is a story that makes you realise that the elderly were young once too!

The story is beautiful, poignant and extremely well-crafted. I would recommend this to anyone!

Summer of Dragonfly Changes (Loon Lake Series Book 2)
Summer of Dragonfly Changes (Loon Lake Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent sequel, 18 Oct. 2015
I bought this book as soon as I had finished reading Summer of Dragonfly Memories because I wanted to know how the story continued for Sammy and her sisters. I was not disappointed.

The story picks up nearly a year after the last one finished and I was hooked by the end of the first page.

You don't have to have read the first one to read this one because it does explain little bits and bobs as the story goes, but I was glad that I had read the first one before starting this particular story. Like the first, this one is a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, where you find yourself laughing and crying along with the characters.

I believe there are going to be a few more of these and I just cannot wait!

Summer of Firefly Memories (Loon Lake Series Book 1)
Summer of Firefly Memories (Loon Lake Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book so much I finished it and bought the sequel straight away., 18 Oct. 2015
I read this book while on holiday and, while it can be accused of being predictable and a bit schmaltzy, I found it charming and a lovely celebration of the love and bond that siblings can have, regardless of how different they are.

The main character in the book is Sammy and the story revolves around a holiday she has organised for her and her sisters to the place where the family used to go on holiday every summer before the untimely death of their parents. I found the descriptions of Loon Lake really lovely and evocative and I felt I got to know every single character in the story and laughed and cried along with them.

This is not high brow literature. Its purely and simply a great read that you will find yourself getting completely engrossed in.

Us
Us

4.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Day Grand Tour, 2 July 2015
This review is from: Us (Kindle Edition)
I was hooked from the very first page of this book and found myself quite involved with the three main characters. However, at some point, and I am not sure when exactly, I found myself disliking each of them quite intensely but felt that I had invested so much that I had to read the book to the end and I am really glad I did.

Its a well written, if somewhat far-fetched, account of an unlikely couple, Douglas and Connie, who are hurtling towards separation now that their son, Albie, is about to fly the nest. They embark on a final Grand Tour with their unwilling son in tow and this story documents the "interesting" events that occur during this time. Poor Douglas is desperately trying to keep his family together but his behaviour only seems destined to drive them all further apart!

I enjoyed it and will definitely read more from this author.

The City Affair
The City Affair

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant story of family secrets!, 20 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The City Affair (Kindle Edition)
An absolutely brilliant read. Tish's life is turned upside down when her much loved dad passes away suddenly, leaving not only a massive gap in her life but also a legacy of secrets and unimaginable betrayal. Its brilliantly written and you feel real empathy with Tish. It a lovely book - and a quick read! In fact. . .it was over too soon for my liking!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8