Profile for Mary Ann > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
War's Last Dance
War's Last Dance

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: War's Last Dance (Kindle Edition)
At first I was gripped by the novel, it echoed my own childhood when my mother, little brother and I travelled to post war Germany to join my father. It was all so familiar. Sadly, Julia Underwood uses her characters like puppets, and manipulates them to fit in with the plot. The disintegration of a seemingly happy marriage was not convincing. The alarming personality change of husband Bill even less so. By about half way through I struggled. The denouement was farcical, the characters plasticene figures, and the ending was a " tidying up " operation, seemingly done in a hurry. A lot of typos, too.

Real Fast Food
Real Fast Food

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigel Slater is The Best, 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Real Fast Food (Kindle Edition)
I already have many hard copy Nigel Slater cookery books. I treated myself to this kindle version and read it in the middle of the night. Needless to say, I couldn't wait for breakfast.

The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries
The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries

1.0 out of 5 stars UNUSABLE, 27 Jan. 2015
The font in this e-book is very small and cannot be adjusted. Such a pity that it won't be used. I can read it, just, but life's too short to make that kind of effort. Cooking should be a pleasure, not a penance. I'm so disappointed. Get your act together Amazon. I thought you were trail blazers when it comes to e-books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2015 12:38 PM GMT

The Decalogue (DCI Priest Series Book 1)
The Decalogue (DCI Priest Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars UNCOMFORTABLE READING, 9 Dec. 2014
Mark Pettinger doesn't seem to be comfortable with the process of writing. The style is stilted, formal, and overly wordy. The characters are stiff and not very interesting. A lot of unnecessary detail is thrown at the reader, but a lack of feeling for the right words and rythms leaves the book devoid of atmosphere and pace. Truly hard work, and I can't recommend it.

Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher
Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring., 31 Aug. 2014
Same old, same old, unconvincing, dull, crime thing wrapped up in tedious adolescent sex. Couldn't get past the first few chapters although I tried.

Andy Bates - Modern twists on classic dishes
Andy Bates - Modern twists on classic dishes

3.0 out of 5 stars SOME INTERESTING IDEAS, 31 Aug. 2014
but too complicated for its own good. I find myself reading the recipes and spotting easier ways of doing it as I go. Also, the light hearted way he throws difficult to acquire ingredients into the mix, as though the average domestic cook can just wander into Sainsburys or Morrisons and pick them off the shelves. He is a television cook with access to all sorts of obscure goodies. I live in London but I find it difficult to get hold of some of his ingredients. He needs to get out of the professional kitchen and think like a real person, with limited time, money, and shopping facilities.

The Lost (Paula Maguire 1): (Paula Maguire 1) (Paula McGuire )
The Lost (Paula Maguire 1): (Paula Maguire 1) (Paula McGuire )

3.0 out of 5 stars A fatal flaw, 15 May 2014
I enjoyed the book, it was an interesting read, not top notch, but good enough. The fatal flaw is that Paula McGuire is a psychologist, and unlike any psychologist that I have ever known, she can't keep her mouth shut. She jumps to conclusions, doesn't listen, gets carried away with her own theories, and cannot stop herself from babbling. In fact, she's sadly lacking in real intelligence or self control. I can accept a maverick, but not a fool. Very unconvincing in her role as a psychological profiler.

British Gardens in Time - Nymans
British Gardens in Time - Nymans

1.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to read, 30 April 2014
Shame on you BBC. The font size in the kindle version is tiny, and cannot be enlarged. The books are virtually impossible to read, the kindle venture is pointless, what a shame.

Stolen Futures
Stolen Futures

1.0 out of 5 stars I managed to finish it, but it was hard., 30 April 2014
This review is from: Stolen Futures (Kindle Edition)
I wanted to know the outcome, but the writing style was painfully stilted and formal, I imagined it being written in a little school notebook. I was awash with the interminable cups of tea which occurred every few pages and seemed to be used as a
" filler " whenever the writer ran out of steam. A very amateur production.

Saga Diary
Saga Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars I Use This Diary All The Time, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Saga Diary (App)
This is probably my most used app. I use it as a diary, day book, appointment book. I can copy and paste items from the internet. It would be nice if there were a few options like highlighting, stars, ticks, etc., even a colour choice. But I've found yhat the more options an app has, the less it's likely to work. It's a very good way of keeping a diary, and it can be kept private with a password to keep out snoopers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4