Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for Gavin Owen > Reviews

Content by Gavin Owen

Gavin Owen (Wiltshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Lumie Bodyclock GO 75 Wake Up Light Alarm Clock with Sounds
Lumie Bodyclock GO 75 Wake Up Light Alarm Clock with Sounds

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 11 Nov. 2015
This is the second sunrise clock we've owned. It does the job well and I find it much easier to wake up on dark mornings after the light has slowly faded up. So why only three stars? Two problems - first, the controls/menus are not very intuitive, I had to read the manual to set it up; second, it loses time - about a minute per week - which is very poor in this day and age.

ChiChinLighting® 8.1W E26 E27 Warm White 3000K LED Motion Sensor Light Bulb LED Motion Bulb Motion Activated Light 85-265V
Offered by Chichinlighting

1.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere, 11 Nov. 2015
Awful! It's so inconsistent - sometimes it comes on when you're 12 feet away, sometimes I can go up to the bulb and have to physically tap it for it to notice I'm there. I would have returned it but I was so busy I forgot. Strongly recommend you not to buy this item.

ASUS T100HA 10.1 inch Convertible Notebook with Detachable (Intel Atom Z8500 1.44 GHz Processor, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Integrated Graphics, Windows 10) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Small price, big value, 11 Nov. 2015
I pointed one of my clients in the direction of this device as a replacement for her battered series 1 Surface RT tablet and once it arrived I set it up for her. It's a very nice Windows tablet - and it's important to remember that this is exactly what it is, a Windows tablet with a detachable keyboard, NOT a laptop. I read some reviews in the IT press that complained this Asus is underpowered, but they were not comparing apples with apples. The T100HA uses the latest Intel quad core mobile processor so it is in fact quicker than tablets using the previous generation processor. It has 64GB of storage, of which about 37GB was available after I had installed all of my client's sofware. It charges via the USB port, so no need for a bespoke charger, and the included charger is 2A, rather than 1A, so charges the unit twice as fast as a standard USB charger would. The screen resolution is 1280x800 - at maximum brightness I found it too bright too look at it indoors, so should work well in bright ambient light, and viewing angles are good. With the keyboard attached the T100HA opens and closes just like a laptop, though the maximum opening angle is not very wide - I suspect this is for balance reasons - the tablet contains all the tech so it is heavier than the keyboard and if you could lean it back any further it would probably topple over. There are holes in the back of the tablet for the speakers to sound through - the sound is tinny but then I've only ever owned one laptop that had really good sound. Can't comment much on battey life, except to say that it was taking a long time to charge from flat, not because the charging is slow but because the battery has a high capacity. The keyboard is excellent for it's size - good key travel and not spongy - if it was backlit it would be spot-on. As well as having a micro USB port in the tablet, the T100HA also has a full-sized USB port in the keyboard - the best of both worlds and I was therefore able to get my client's printer working without problems. When closed, the tablet/keyboard combo feels nice and solid but small enough that you can happily walk around with it in one hand. If my client experiences any problems in due course I will update my review, but for now I would happily recommend the T100HA again. For the money it's a bargain - compare what you have to spend on a Surface to get the same memory and performance.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2015 7:10 PM GMT

Pegasus Press Camel Up Expansion Supercup Game
Pegasus Press Camel Up Expansion Supercup Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition if you enjoy the base game, 15 Aug. 2015
The Supercup expansion is as beautifully made and presented as the base Camel Up game.If you found the base game complicated you probably don't want to get into this expansion, but if, like me, you love working out the possible outcomes to the leg that can change with each player's turn then the added twists of Supercup are for you. Rather cleverly, Supercup is divided into four expansions and you are free to use any combination you like, which actually means you now have many new ways to play Camel Up, not just one new way. The full instructions for Supercup are available as a PDF on the Pegasus web site so you can find out exactly what the expansion includes (just search the web for "camel up supercup rules english").

Big Cherry Board Game Bits Kit, Playing Pieces, Counters, Dice, Pawns, Spinner
Big Cherry Board Game Bits Kit, Playing Pieces, Counters, Dice, Pawns, Spinner
Offered by Random Empire

5.0 out of 5 stars Potential replacement parts for many a board game, 15 Aug. 2015
I bought this kit because I run a board games club and very often we have more people wanting to play a game than the theoretical maximum. Lots of games that are for 2-6 players will easily support 8 players if you've got the extra bits you need. Until now we've just used coins, but with this set I now have eight different pawn pieces we can use, eight Monopoly-esque playing tokens as well as a few counters, a pair of dice and a few other bits and pieces, most of which will probably come in handy in due course.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Microfibers Cleaning Cloths - 5 Large Colorful Cloths Suitable for Cleaning Glasses, Spectacles, Cameras, iPad, Tablets, Phones, LCD Screens, Silverware and Other Delicate Surfaces by ECO-FUSED(8 x 8 inch / 20 x 20 cm Black, Grey, Green, Blue, Yellow)
Offered by ECO-FUSED UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great, 5 May 2015
There's not much you can say about lens cloths! These are great, far superior to the little squares of cloth that came with my new specs.

Boccia Men's Titanium Leather Strap Watch B3538-01
Boccia Men's Titanium Leather Strap Watch B3538-01

5.0 out of 5 stars Four stars for the watch + one for Amazon customer service, 2 April 2015
As others have said, this is a lovely watch, especially at this price point. Before purchasing I read quite a few of the reviews and noted that one purchaser commented that the second hand on his watch did not line up with the marks around the edge of the dial. When I received my watch I spotted at once that it had the same problem - e.g. when the second hand should be pointing to 0 seconds it was in fact half-way between 0 and 1. I immediately reported this to Amazon customer service who, as usual, replied within minutes. The reply said that they had arranged for another watch to be dispatched to me that day for next day delivery and that they had requested that the item be inspected before dispatch to check that the replacement did not have the same fault as the original. The replacement duly arrived with a second hand that points perfectly to the marks around the dial. It's this level of customer service that keeps me coming back to Amazon again and again. As other reviewers have noted, the watch does have a noticeable tick but personally I like that and the watch does indeed have a relatively short strap. Laid flat, the watch measures approx 23.5 cm from one end of the strap to the other (in comparison my Accurist Classic measures 28 cm). I have slim wrists and have the strap on the fourth of seven holes, so I can see that someone with a large wrist might find the strap too short and need to replace it. It might not be a Mondaine, but at about a third of the cost the Boccia is a good buy and at that price if it gets lost, damaged or stolen it won't be the end of the world (I'd rather have ten watches that cost £50 and gave me a range of styles for all occasions than one watch that cost £500).
Comment Comment | Permalink

Phase 10 Twist Card Game
Phase 10 Twist Card Game

4.0 out of 5 stars A clever and enjoyable twist on the classic card game, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Phase 10 Twist Card Game (Toy)
If you like Phase 10 you'll like Phase 10 Twist. It introduces a number of twists on the classic card game, the most significant of which is that you progress around the board at the end of each hand even if you didn't complete the phase, albeit more slowly than those who did complete the phase. What that means is that you don't get stuck on one phase for hand after hand which, in my experience, can cause the game to drag on, particularly when played with a large group. With the original card game we would often give up before anyone got to Phase 10, with Phase 10 Twist we always complete the game. Given that the game includes a standard pack of Phase 10 cards so you can play the original game as well as the Twist version, it's very good value for money. Minus one star because the cards were a bit thin compared to my original Phase 10 deck.

Canon imageFormula DR-C225W Document Scanner
Canon imageFormula DR-C225W Document Scanner
Offered by Office Nerd

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, consistent and efficient document scanning, 23 Mar. 2015
Having read an article online about the Fujitsu ScanSnap iX500 I decided to look at the alternatives and ended up buying this device. Why? Five main reasons: the Canon has a smaller footprint on the desk and I had limited space; the Canon has a plug-in for OneDrive (as far as I can determine the Fujitsu does not); some industry reviews found that the Canon narrowly outperformed the Fujitsu in converting scanned documents to text; the Canon supports TWAIN but the Fujitsu does not and finally at the time of ordering there was a £35 cashback offer from Canon. The Canon DR-C225W was relatively straightforward to setup and within a short space of time I had it connected to my router and working with my desktop PC, two laptops and my iPad. The scanner can only be connected to one device at a time but the wireless network driver can be set to automatically connect to the scanner when it is detected and to automatically disconnect if another device requests access and the scanner is not being used by the current device. The wireless network driver connects to the scanner and creates a vitual USB device on your PC/laptop, so when you connect you hear the usual sound Windows makes when you plug-in a USB device. I needed to play around with the Canon Capture On Touch software for about half-an-hour before I properly understood how it works, but once I'd determined how I wanted to configure it I was able to quickly setup all my computers the same way. The software has many options and you can create your own scanning presets using any combination of those options. In addition, you can select some of your presets to be favourites and then select one of those favourites to be automatically run when you press the scan button on the scanner. It's having so many options that means you need time to figure it all out. Once set up to taste, the scanner works quickly, consistently and efficiently - paper is fed through at an astonishing rate, both sides being scanned simultaneously and blank pages being automatically ignored (e.g. when there's nothing on the back of a page). Optical character recognition (OCR) is indeed impressive. When saving a scan as a PDF, the scanner performs OCR on the document and creates an invisible layer of text over the document. This means that when you open the PDF you can search for a word and, as long as it was recognised correctly during OCR, Acrobat will highlight the word in the scanned document because the invisible word is positioned perfectly above it - it's like magic! I expect other document scanners work in the same way, but I have only used the Canon. I'm already in the habit of scanning anything I want to file that arrives in the post each day and organising it into folders like a virtual filing cabinet, it takes just a few minutes, no longer than filing paperwork in a filing cabinet, but has the tremendous advantage that the electronic files can be searched and retrieved in seconds - no more trawling through a file looking for a specific piece of paperwork. Bliss! The scanner is already one of those devices that I wouldn't want to be without.

Canon EF - Telephoto zoom lens - 70 mm - 300 mm - f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM - Canon EF

2.0 out of 5 stars High price, low image quality, 16 Sept. 2014
If you search for reviews of this lens you'll find that the majority rate it poorly - take those reviews seriously! The only thing this lens has going for it is that it is small for a lens with this range. On the negative side, image quality is poor and when zooming the lens quickly reaches a minimum aperture of f/5.6 - this means it either needs a lot of light or high ISO to get a sharp exposure. To make matters worse, this lens has the least effective IS of any Canon lens I have owned. Colours are washed out and the strange bokeh effects you've read about are all too obvious. I traded this lens in for the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II USM which has proved to be the best lens I have ever owned and it's weight and size are entirely forgiveable when you see the superb images it produces. If the f/2.8 is out of your price range, you can pick up the 70-200 f/4 L IS USM for less than the price of the DO - that's a bargain. I picked up my DO lens from another source for less than two-thirds of the normal retail price and that was still too much to pay. Enough said?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2015 5:56 PM BST