Profile for Yellerbelly > Reviews

Content by Yellerbelly

Yellerbelly (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Passage (The Wonderland Series: Book 1)
The Passage (The Wonderland Series: Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Competition for the Outlander series, 30 Dec. 2016
Some real competition for Diana Gabaldon here! I thoroughly enjoyed this book so why have I only awarded four stars? Mostly, it's because of some very avoidable errors. I understand the author is American and, therefore, can be forgiven if she didn't know that the holder of an hereditary title would not be eligible to stand for election to Parliament (remember Viscount Stansgate who had to become plain Tony Benn to get elected?). The county town of Surrey is Guildford, not Guilford. An English editor should have picked up on errors like this. Similarly, an English woman would refer to her current account, not her checking account and I've never heard anyone other than an American talk of falling "ass over tea-kettle" but Neve, the English protagonist, appears to think in these US-ian terms. There are one or two minor continuity errors but, overall, nothing to spoil the flow of the book.

The principal characters, Neve, Hugo and Max, are well fleshed out and quite believable as people, even if their adventures are sheer, well-written fantasy. Even Naomi was well defined as, potentially, the mother-in-law from Hell while you'd always want Sister Angela in your corner! The careful weave of fiction with historic fact was almost seamless and the use of real locations, such as St Nicholas church with its cat gargoyle helped in this.

I became quite involved with the characters and was sorry when I'd reached the end so that I immediately set about reading the second book in the series and now I'm looking forward to occupying the winter evenings with all five..

Ayotu Case for Kindle Voyage E-reader Auto Wake and Sleep Smart Protective Cover, For 2014 Kindle Voyage Case Painting Series KV-04 The Cat
Offered by Ayotu mall-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile purchase, 24 Aug. 2016
This cover fits the Voyage neatly and easily with no faffing around with elastic straps, etc. It is very light in weight and yet appears robust and substantial in use. I love the Cats design which makes me smile every time I pick up my Kindle.

FLEURS D ORLANE eau de toilette spray 100 ml
FLEURS D ORLANE eau de toilette spray 100 ml
Offered by Perfumes VIP

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, 26 Nov. 2015
I've been using this lovely floral fragrance for around 25 years now and I absolutely love it. I have never understood why it isn't more widely known and more widely available in this country. I have no skill at describing perfumes but I'll try: it's a complex mesh of floral scents with orange blossom top-notes and an underlying mix of fresh blossoms. I can detect rose and jasmine, underlying carnation and a hint of cloves with traces of cedar, sandalwood and honey at base. That last one doesn't mean it's sickly-sweet, however. Absolutely not. .
Don't let all these floral ingredients put you off; it's not one of those cloying violet, old-lady perfumes that Miss Marple might sprinkle on a lace handkerchief! I fell in love with it when I was fortyish and still find it entirely appropriate in my sixties.and, while I occasionally fancy a change and use something else for a day or two, always I come back to this.
If I have to liken it to any other perfume, then I'd suggest that fans of Estée Lauder's 'Pleasures' will probably like this. It's light enough to wear all day, every day and glamorous enough to go anywhere for evening. It's long-lasting on the skin; your friends will say you smell gorgeous but, unless you're very heavy-handed, it never over-powers. A quick spritz in the morning is all it takes to make any day feel better!.

The Lost Queen
The Lost Queen

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing Read, 11 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Lost Queen (Kindle Edition)
It's been many years since I read anything by Norah Lofts and, until I started on this book, I'd forgotten just how skilled a writer she was. The Kindle edition was slightly marred by some OCR errors which really should have been spotted at the proof-reading stage: 'Knut' being rendered as 'kraut', for example. However, in the end, these did not spoil the overall reading experience for this is an absorbing tale. The characters come to life on the page and I found myself empathising with poor Caroline, bartered like a piece of cheap jewellery in the great Royal Marriage Marketplace. Fifteen years old without even the life experiences of her own maid to fall back upon, shipped off to Denmark to marry her crazy first cousin; faced with a step-mother-in-law who loathes her and plots against her; subjected to abuse and humiliation and forbidden ever to speak her own language - how could she feel anything other than wretched and was it not inevitable that she should fall for the first presentable man to treat her kindly?
Ms Lofts has cleverly woven checkable fact with well-written fiction and the finished product is almost seamless and has left me wanting to find out more. For instance, what ultimately was the fate of Princess Louise Augusta? To my mind, this book is a cut above the works of Philippa Carr and Alison Weir and has made me want to go back and re-read some old favourites.

Photoshop Elements 13 For Dummies
Photoshop Elements 13 For Dummies
by Barbara Obermeier

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful companion, 4 Feb. 2015
I was completely new to Photoshop Elements and desperately in need of a little guidance. This book ticked all the boxes for me. I read the introductory chapters in their entirety then skimmed the rest, bookmarking with Post-it notes the bits I wanted to refer to again. Now, I dip in and out as I work with Elements, checking out things that I need help with. It's in the style of all the 'for Dummies' books that I've seen: clearly laid out and written in plain and straightforward language with a touch of humour and there's a good index at the back. I now feel much more confident with Elements 13 (which I absolutely love) so I don't refer to the book quite so much but it will remain within easy reach of my desk for the foreseeable future!

Kindle Case - ACdream Amazon Kindle 5 & Kindle 4 Protective Case - Ultra Slim PU Leather Cover Case for Amazon Kindle 4 / Kindle 5 With Magnet Closure (Only fit kindle 4,not fit kindle 7th Generation Or kindle paperwhite/kindle touch) , Sky Blue
Offered by ACdream EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, 4 Feb. 2015
I ordered one of these 'shell' cases for my Kindle Voyage and liked it so much that I then bought one for my Kindle 4. They're lightweight and fit the products well so there's no difficulty in accessing any of the controls. It's a tight snap fit so you don't have to worry about bits of elastic going saggy. Despite their light weight, these cases appear very well made and should offer reasonable every-day protection. They're very slim so your device will still fit a large pocket or medium-sized handbag; there's a good range of colours so you can buy different colours for different devices so you know which one to grab on your way out of the house! In terms of value for money and appearance, these covers are streets ahead of the current over-priced and flimsy 'official' Kindle cases. Certainly, this will be my first stop if I need a cover for any future devices.

Graef Economic 134 Allesschneider
Graef Economic 134 Allesschneider

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd found this earlier!, 3 May 2014
Like another reviewer, I used to own a Kenwood slicer which was temperamental, under-powered, a pig to clean and rarely produced two slices the same thickness. Unfortunately, I was unaware that anything better was available for the domestic user until the Kenwood died of old age and I had to start looking for a replacement.
I bought the Graef Economic 134 largely based on the views of other reviewers and, thanks, folks, this clearly was a correct decision.
It's brilliant - does exactly what you want it to do and will whizz through a big, rolled gammon joint in a couple of minutes, producing a neat pile of even slices all the same thickness (which may be anything from 0.5 to 15mm as you wish). It makes a mean coleslaw in no time flat and slices cheese without fuss or bother.
In short: I'm delighted with my purchase and, if there were six stars available, I'd award them.

Katie Mulholland
Katie Mulholland

3.0 out of 5 stars Overdone, 3 May 2014
This review is from: Katie Mulholland (Kindle Edition)
It's many years since I read a Cookson novel but I had some idea of what to expect - brave and beautiful protagonist struggles against poverty and great odds to achieve eventual happiness. My grandmother was a Jarrow lass and contemporary with Catherine Cookson and the stories she told of her own childhood bear out Cookson's fictionalised accounts of grinding poverty, desperation and the ever-present fear of losing ones job and ones home with absolutely no safety net.
In 'Katie Mulholland', however, I felt the author was in competition with herself to see how many Awful Things she could make happen to one character! Rape, unwanted pregnancy, wife-beating, murder, miscarriage of justice, corruption, false imprisonment, eviction and homelessness, incest, unrequited love - this book has it all and more.
I kept reading because I was bemused by the piles of ordure being heaped on the wretched Katie and wondering how on earth she could emerge for a satisfactory conclusion. Unfortunately, by the time I was two-thirds of the way through, I'd ceased to care and would have been happy enough to see Katie and the rest of the cast put aboard the Titanic and sent to the bottom of the ocean. Alas, the writer chose not to include that disaster in this saga of misfortune! By the time I got to the end of the book, I thoroughly disliked most of the characters - the words manipulative, scheming, complacent and smug all have an application here. I felt the ending was far from satisfactory although that, at least, reflects real life.
I've given it three stars because of the writer's skill in bringing to life a set of personalities and a way of living which is almost impossible for a modern audience to comprehend and for her evocation of Tyneside speech patterns which bring back many personal happy memories.

Girl on a Train
Girl on a Train

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing mystery, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Girl on a Train (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished reading this and I loved it. Carefully plotted, the tale absorbs you from the start with a credible protagonist and a great sense of location. The clues are there throughout the book if you look for them but there are many twists along the way and, unusually, I didn't guess the outcome. I look forward to reading more by A J Waines.

Forsaken: A Novel of Art, Evil, and Insanity
Forsaken: A Novel of Art, Evil, and Insanity

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What the Strap-line says it iis!, 3 Feb. 2014
I enjoyed this enormously, even though I worked out by about half-way through what the 'twist' was going to be. The characters are believable - believable enough for this sort of fantasy, at any rate. In some ways, it reminded me of early James Herbert books and, if you enjoy a fast-moving gothic horror story then this is for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6