Profile for V. S. Stewart > Reviews

Content by V. S. Stewart

V. S. Stewart "Val" (Kent, UK)

Oregon Scientific RM313 - Funky Projection Clock with Indoor Temperature
Oregon Scientific RM313 - Funky Projection Clock with Indoor Temperature
Offered by Smart Living

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll be delighted., 19 May 2017
This was a direct replacement for an earlier model, which had given up the ghost after many years. If this one lasts as long, I'll be delighted.

The Hour of Separation
The Hour of Separation

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Hour of Separation (Audio CD)
Just beautiful.

Nation
Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars A much loved book. I think one of his best, 16 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Nation (Kindle Edition)
A much loved book. I think one of his best, though I also love Dodger. Terry Pratchett will be greatly missed by his fans.

Patchwork and Quilting in Britain (Shire Library)
Patchwork and Quilting in Britain (Shire Library)
by Heather Audin

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting wander through the history of patchwork, 24 Mar. 2014
Not a glossy book of ideas for patchwork, but a well written book about its history. I make my patchwork purely by hand, so they feel like a little bit of history to me anyway, but this certainly reinforced that. It was interesting to find out why older silk patchworks deteriorate, and why red was such a popular colour.

One Hundred and One Patchwork Patterns (Dover Quilting)
One Hundred and One Patchwork Patterns (Dover Quilting)
by Ruby Short McKim

5.0 out of 5 stars A real find, 4 Sept. 2013
If you are looking for a standard (modern) patchwork book, full of glossy colour pictures of projects, this book is not for you. It is a reprint of a 1930s original, the paper is slightly yellow, the pictures are all sketches & diagrams in black & white, BUT there is a wealth of really useful information, & patterns for a vast number of traditional blocks. After half an hour, I was planning my next quilt but one, & the one after that (I just wish I had time to do more of them). Once you get past the paper, & lack of colour pictures, this is actually a very attractive book, & the little stories about some of the blocks remind you that this is a craft that has developed over many decades, which makes your current project feel like something that really has its' roots in history. This will be a valuable reference for me for years to come.

Cushions & Quilts: 20 Projects to Stitch, Quilt & Sew
Cushions & Quilts: 20 Projects to Stitch, Quilt & Sew

5.0 out of 5 stars a worthwhile addition to you patchwork library, 4 Sept. 2013
I am building a modest library of patchworking books, & I found that this was a very well-presented publication, with some excellent tips & some attractive projects. I am sure that I will be attempting some of them.

The 1930s Jazz Recording Project
The 1930s Jazz Recording Project

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful recording, 2 July 2013
A bunch of musicians get together, & using technology from the 1930s make a record. On the face of it this should not have been an especially good recording, but these musicians are very talented, & clearly enjoying what they were doing. The use of the ancient (by modern recording standards) microphone has given the music a warm, velvety texture that is ideally suited to the genre. If Lake Records decide to make another record with this equipment, I would certainly buy it.
An interesting addition to my jazz collection, & one I will listen to many times.

The Knitting Circle
The Knitting Circle

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad, but really worth reading, 13 Sept. 2011
I loved this book. It is sad, but like most people, I have lost
loved ones, & it has a beautiful way of showing people who are coping with loss helping each other. I've just downloaded another of her books.

Auschwitz : The Nazis & The 'Final Solution'
Auschwitz : The Nazis & The 'Final Solution'
by Laurence Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars Auschwitz - an excellent treatment of a harrowing subject, 21 April 2006
I was surprised just how readable this book was. The subject matter is, of necessity, distressing, but the author has produced a book that is well-written & actually quite difficult to put down.