Profile for Didrick Namtvedt > Reviews

Content by Didrick Namtvedt

Didrick Namtvedt "music lover" (Bergen, Hordaland Norway)

Page: 1 | 2
Frozen [DVD]
Frozen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Buck
Offered by Springwood Media

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful movie for all ages, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Frozen [DVD] (DVD)
I usually can't stand the Pixar/Disney CGI style of movies in recent years, I grew up with hand drawn 2D movies like The Little Mermaid and Beauty And The Beast and those had flawless 2D animation and music that still looks and sounds amazing today. But seeing as Frozen takes place in Norway, where I am from, it made me really curious to see it and I actually did really enjoy it! Aside from the fact that this is modern CGI all by computers, all the classic Disney elements are definitely still present: Strong character development and ditto personalities, funny sidekicks and wonderful song numbers that have the potential to become as legendary as Part Of Your World and Beauty And The Beast and it all just makes for a very enjoyable movie the whole family will enjoy!

She
She

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice sing-a-long laid back kinda song, 2 April 2006
This review is from: She (Audio CD)
This is very different from what you'd expect from this duo who usually does trance. This is a mid-tempo Atomic Kitten-esque (Think "The Tide Is High" and you get the idea) song that puts a smile on your face. The lyrics are really cheesy at times ("she looks like Marilyn, walks like Suzanne...she talks like Monica and Mary Ann") but still you can't help but sing along and realize that this just is a pure genious piece of a song. It's got a very summery feel to it and would be the kind of song you'd play down by the beach sitting around the bon fire.
I only wish it had more remixes with a club feel ala Groove Brothers and others in the same vein, the trance remixes kinda butcher this song in opinion, hence giving it four stars. But you will enjoy the radio edit and the extended version for sure.

I Could Be the One
I Could Be the One

4.0 out of 5 stars Great song - but why no remixes???, 4 Nov. 2004
This review is from: I Could Be the One (Audio CD)
This song totally had me from the first listen with its catchy hook and a hot 70's disco feel to it. Was very disappointed with the tracklisting though as I think this song would've sounded even better with some club remixes of it. I could hear Love To Infinity turning out a great remix of this song. Shame her record company didn't commission any remixes for it. Oh well...hopefully she'll have remixes next time she releases a sinlge. (Crossing fingers...)
Still a great song and dare I say Stacie's best release off her album so far. Would've given five stars if it included remixes but don't let that put you off from enjoying this song.

Take Me to the Clouds Above
Take Me to the Clouds Above
Offered by Slinky Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome combo-track!, 13 April 2004
This tune is exploding all over the world, and it's not hard to see why. LMC samples elements from U2's "With Or Without You" and they get Rachel McFarlane to sing the first four lines of Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" and the result is a refreshing and delightful tune that makes you feel good. These songs are perfect for each other and it all blends together flawlessly. Someone here said that the mixes included the original Whitney vocals but that is not correct. All six versions have the Rachel McFarlane vocals. I have heard the original mash-up bootleg version though, it was made last year and has Whitney's original vocals in it. Whitney's record company didn't allow LMC to release the mash-up officially with her vocals but the sampling from U2 was allowed by their record company so that's how things are.
Great tune, and LMC made both of these songs even better than they've ever sounded!

Ray Of Light (U.S. Version)
Ray Of Light (U.S. Version)
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Madonna album ever!, 17 Mar. 2004
After hearing all the brilliant singles from this album through 1998 and hearing people say this album is her best ever, I decided to pick it up on a recent trip to the UK. And I did enjoy the album very much and it's a great add to my record collection. Here's a rundown on the tracks.
1. Drowned World/Substitute For Love - Very cool drum effects in this song and a nice melody. The bassline is great when played loud.
2. Swim - A song with a hint of guitars and other electronic effects and the harmonies are wonderful.
3. Ray Of Light - The title track and also a fierce dance track that got released as a single. If you've seen the video, everything is going fast forward at the speed of light, going faster than - yep - a ray of light. I like how it starts with calm guitars and then bangs in with a thumping dance beat.
4. Candy Perfume Girl - This track is a little weird, it's one of the tracks that doesn't really get to me in a way. It doesn't really go anywhere and it's also a little repetetive.
5. Skin - The intro on this one is AWESOME! Another great dance track with fast beats and I got the chorus stuck in my head right after hearing it. It has single potential, but unfortunately never was released as a single.
6. Nothing Really Matters - Another song that got released as a single, and it's really groovy. It climbed the dance charts and other charts worldwide and for a good reason.
7. Sky Fits Heaven - This is something that is a mixture of ambient and trance, but with a commercial approach. Cool lyrics and it has a great chorus.
8. Shanti/Ashtangi - Now this track is really weird. But seeing that it's inspired by a yoga poem, it makes sense why Madonna featured it on the album. A few dance beats in here too but still a weird track.
9. Frozen - The first single from the album, a very laid back slow ambient song with a haunting chorus. Madonna's duplicate vocals later in the song really adds to the beauty and mystery of it.
10 . The Power Of Goodbye - The intro on this song is really beautiful! The sweeping string-like, yet mellow synths just get to me everytime and sends chills down my spine. The song itself is a great ballad about the pain of splitting up with someone you love.
11. To Have And Not To Hold - A kind of sad song with a mystic vibe. However, there are places in the song where it gets a bit too "cafe-jazz"-like for me.
12. Little Star - This is another beatiful song, very drum'n'bass inspired with sweeping electro instruments and Madonna sings beautifully about her daughter Lordes. She sings with motherly love and it truly shows.
13. Mer Girl - This song just freaks me out. Madonna sings about the ghost of her dead mother chasing her around. Wait, she's not singing, she's talking and that makes it monotone and boring. The only weak track on the album.
All in all a great album although some of the tracks seems to be somehow overproduced and are a bit too long. Nonetheless, this is a classic masterpiece that will truly stand the test of time!

Nothing But You [CD 1]
Nothing But You [CD 1]
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars A great PVD tune - with norwegian lyrics!, 21 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Nothing But You [CD 1] (Audio CD)
I've been hearing this tune a lot on norwegian radio lately, and one day the DJ told everyone to listen carefully to the vocals. The girl in the song is singing "Jeg har ingenting, men jeg har alt når jeg har deg" which in english means "I have nothing, but I've got everything when I've got you". I first had no idea Paul had norwegian connections, but then I later found out the girl was british. It's quite weird hearing a brit sing in norwegian on a trance tune, but what most likely is the case is that she's just varying between vocal and consonant sounds and the result simply makes norwegians hear it as an actual sentence. Overall, this is a great tune, another top PVD production!

Greatest Hits: Remixes
Greatest Hits: Remixes
Offered by InMusicWeBelieve

4.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of rare remixes, 23 July 2003
This review is from: Greatest Hits: Remixes (Audio CD)
Being an old 2 Unlimited fan and having their albums "No Limits", "Real Things", "Greatest Hits" and "II" and a few singles, I knew I had to grab this rare item. One of the tracks that stand out here is the rare, much talked about Almighty Radio Mix of "Tribal Dance" and it's a great remix, like most Almighty mixes are. The Sharp "Maniac" Mix of "Twilight Zone" is also cool, really deep and groovy. Some of the remixes here are a bit weird, but most of them are from the early 90's after all. I won't say this album would blow you away, but it's good to listen to and get a little nostalgic thinking about those good ol' days when 2 Unlimited were huge in the charts and was the nr.1 music export from the Netherlands.

Hot In Herre
Hot In Herre
Offered by cyclone media

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny re-make, but the original is better, 23 July 2003
This review is from: Hot In Herre (Audio CD)
I've always wondered how Nelly's "Hot In Herre" would sound if it got remixed into a dance track, and now I've got the answer, more or less. Tiga does a fair intepretation of the song, but he somehow lacks the energy of Nelly's vocals and he should've used female vocals on the phrases "I am getting so hot, I'm gonna take my clothes off", cos it sounds so weird with low male vocals. All I can say is at least this song is converted to a club tune but it remains to see if it will be more successful than the original.

Dance For Me
Dance For Me
Offered by remypat

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your average remix album, 27 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Dance For Me (Audio CD)
When buying this album, I thought "Yeah, yeah - here we go again. Another remix album with the usual radio edits...yawn." (J. Lo hint, hint...) But I was pleasantly surprised listening to it as I discovered they were all full length club remixes and I realized that I hadn't wasted any money by purchasing this brilliant album! It's DJ friendly and many of these remixes aren't even released here in Norway where I live and some others are just released as radio edits here (J. Lo...LOL) so when I saw that it was available as an import item, I think it's gonna make many norwegian Mary J. Blige fans and other mainstream remix enthusiasts happy. I just wanna say one thing: BUY THIS ALBUM! It's definetly my favourite remix album of the few ones I have and a must buy for all die hard fans of Mary J Blige and mainstream club remixes.

Tony Di Bart - Do It
Tony Di Bart - Do It
Offered by Liberty-Star

5.0 out of 5 stars A true dance classic!, 21 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Tony Di Bart - Do It (Audio CD)
Tony Di Bart has had many dance hits through the 90's, and his best known ones are "The Real Thing" and "Turn Your Love Around". I first heard "Do It" on various mix compilations where they used the Dance version (aka extended version) of it to mix with other tracks and I got really hooked on that catchy beat which can be heard in the intro and ending of the long version, but in the mix compilations they had put annoying sound effects on top of the beat, which ruined the groove feel of it and it made me wish I had the full version without any stupid effects. And browsing through Amazon.co.uk, I found the cd single! I bought it, and now I finally have the full extended version to mix around and have fun with for myself! There are two other remixes on it also: The Soul Mix is exactly what the name says - it's more soul/R&B midtempo style. A cool remix. The U.S. Mix is deep house with cool organs and a groovy bass which has a very Club 69/Peter Rauhofer-like sound to it. Recommended to all fans of 90's dance hits!

Page: 1 | 2