Profile for N. Wright > Reviews

N. Wright (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick 128 GB
SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick 128 GB

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but ultimately unreliable and disappointing, 15 Sept. 2015
On the face of it 64 Gb of Wifi memory stick seems like a good idea.

Pro:
- The ideal place put your music collection plus some photos and movies to free up space on your phone and/or tablet.

Cons:
- To use the stick with your iOS (or Android) device you'll need to use the WiFi connection which is flakey - having the stick and device within a couple of feet or even inches of each other is no guarantee of an immediate or steady connection.
- The stick drive isn't generally available to the likes of Filebrowser or similar apps which is a shame.
- The Sandisk app you need to use to access the stick has limited capabilities. For example you can skip to the next/previous track but you can't move back & forward within a track (particularly annoying with audiobooks); you can browse pictures, but animated gifs aren't supported, etc.
- The stick is only USB2 and not USB3 so it will take a while to load up from your Mac (or Windows PC).

Overall I found this disappointing and in particular due to the unreliability of the WiFi connection I'm reluctant to recommend it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2016 8:01 AM GMT

Magnum 3 Pack Base Pack Black Socks - Small
Magnum 3 Pack Base Pack Black Socks - Small
Offered by shoeshoebedo

3.0 out of 5 stars Too short, 19 Aug. 2015
Too short for Magnum 8-inch boots

Apple Watch Case, Spigen® [Ultra-Thin] Apple Watch 42mm Case Slim **NEW** [Liquid Air] [Liquid Crystal] Premium Semi-transparent Super Lightweight / Exact Fit / Absolutely NO Bulkiness Soft Case for Apple Watch 42mm (2015) - Liquid Crystal (SGP11495)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight protection from scratches, 22 May 2015
It's a good fit and should protect the case from minor scratches without being too obvious. There is a slight dimple pattern the sides which I could have done without but certainly isn't a show stopper, at least on the plain aluminium sports case.

Wireless Charger Fast Charging Receiver Qi Standard For Apple Iphone 6 4.7 Inches Charging Coil Accept
Offered by Viworth

3.0 out of 5 stars Qi charging with your existing case!, 12 May 2015
Update: With iOS 8.4.1 this is now becoming very unreliable even when I remove my case completely with iOS whining as soon as the receiver is connected , to the point where I've had to stop using it. The Forrader Qi receiver case is still behaving for the time being.
---
Slips nicely inside my grippy Spigen case (SGP11019) which has a self-adhesive Novoskin smart card pouch on the back. I have to remove the cards from the pouch to allow charging but otherwise works fine. As expected you have to position the phone just-so on the cheap Qi charging pads with a single coil and there are whines from iOS about not being a supported device, but this usually pops up once 100% charged. A good alternative to the shiny/slippy Forrader Qi receiver case.

Forrader Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Back Case for Iphone 6 and All Qi Standard Transmitter (for Iphone 6 Black)
Offered by ForraderDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking good!, 21 Jan. 2015
Works as advertised with cheapo generic Qi charger from a certain well-known auction site connected to PC usb port - e.g. from 84% to 100% in just under an hour. The case is smooth and there's enough room to slip a RF card inside which is good news as the Novoskin Smart Card Pouch I had attached to my grippy Spigen case was causing problems when used with the charging case. So, first impressions are very favourable but I'll update if I hit any problems down the road.
Update: Slipping an RF card inside proved to be unreliable in practice - my swipe card worked on some occasions but not others - shame but not too surprising. The charger needs to be paced in a 'sweet spot' on the charging pad so that it beeps to say it's charging, but not constantly beeping as it finds, loses, finds again the charger - this may be the cheapo charging pad or a general issue. When it's finished charging I sometimes get a message saying 'the attachment is not official' which may not bode well for the future? Some time in the future Apple may get around to an official wireless charging solution (which will probably cost 10x as much, but be shiny and utterly reliable) but until then this will do nicely.

Plantronics BackBeat 903+ Stereo Bluetooth Headphones
Plantronics BackBeat 903+ Stereo Bluetooth Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - but not for the office, 23 Sept. 2014
Excellent product for general use. Only drawback is noise spillage in quiet environments where the in-ear Backbeat Go has the edge (when they're not slipping out!)

Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 Wireless Earbuds with Charge case - Black (Retail packaging)

4.0 out of 5 stars European ears smaller than american? Really?, 16 Sept. 2014
These come with three sets of earbuds. You might be forgiven for thinking they'd be small, medium and large. Well, in comparison to Sennheiser for example, they are medium, large and extra-large. Which is hard luck if like me you need small. I checked with Plantronics support and they promptly confirmed that they don't do any other sizes of earbuds. Seriously? Are european ears really smaller than american??

I've ordered some third party 'extra small' earbuds that fit a variety of connectors, so in two - four week's time I'll know if I've got a result, but this is ridiculous.

Update: Extra Small Black Silicone Earbuds have arrived and do the job, so upped my rating two stars. I prefer the BackBeat 903+ for general use, but in quiet environments the spillage is noticeable, so the Go's are ideal in the office but still prone to slip out.

Polar Bluetooth WearLink 92043574 Chest Strap M to XXL
Polar Bluetooth WearLink 92043574 Chest Strap M to XXL
Offered by Millets Sport

4.0 out of 5 stars Moto G and iCardio ok, 24 May 2014
Just a quick note to say it paired ok with my Moto G, although it seemed to be hanging - I disabled and re-enabled BT and it was there ok. iCardio gave me a reading after I moistened the back of the belt, so 4 stars to start with and I'll get back later once I've used it a few times in anger.

RFID Blocking mens Genuine Leather Shielded Credit Debit cards Protective Wallet (Black1)
Offered by KORUMA id protection SHOP

2.0 out of 5 stars Too bulky for me - otherwise 4 or 5 stars, 10 May 2014
This is a well made, good quality leather wallet. All things being equal, I'd be rating it at least 4 if not 5 stars.

Since my bank sent me an RFID card I decided to get a shielded wallet. This looked an ideal replacement with a similar capacity for my old trifold fabric wallet with coin pocket. What I'd not taken into account was just how bulky the new leather wallet would be.

Straight out of the presentation box it is as thick as my old wallet fully loaded with cash, receipts, cards, etc. If I transfer contents it virtually doubles the thickness - making it unusable for me. I tried removing business cards, swiss army utility card, and even considered snipping off the flip out card flap before accepting it just wasn't going to work for me and that I would have to give up and return it.

So if you're considering a shielded wallet you may want to be wary of the bulk, particularly if you're currently using a fabric wallet.

Belkin 1.2 m Lightning to USB Charge and Sync Cable for Apple iPad Pro/iPad Air 2/iPad Air/4th Gen/iPad Mini/iPad Mini Retina/iPhone SE/5/5s/5c/6/6s/6 Plus/6s Plus (MFI Approved) - White
Offered by Luxor_

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Apple-approved cable, 17 Dec. 2013
Bought direct from Amazon, a genuine Belkin Apple-approved cable so works a treat with the Retina iPad mini which plain refuses to charge using non-approved cables (the earlier iPad mini just complained and charged slowly with such cables under iOS7). Seems sturdier than the Apple leads and at a reasonable-ish price. If you need another lead for your iPad then look no further.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5