Profile for Roxanne Adams > Reviews

Dungeons And Dragons [DVD] [2001]
Dungeons And Dragons [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Justin Whalin

5.0 out of 5 stars So Bad It's Good, 15 Aug. 2011
Don't go into this movie expecting a fantasy epic, you will be disappointed. Go into it for unintentional comedy. It's fun and in absolutely no way serious. The plot is generic, so are the characters, the costume designs are weird at best and there's no dungeons. It "steals" from everything that came before it, hoping to cash in, and the acting... what can I say? There's one great scene that I think really sets out to reflect the differences between over-acting and under-acting. You can't take this film seriously!

And the ending is... surreal. I can't make sense of it.

Why 5 stars? It's a brilliant movie if you go into it expecting fun, like I said, none of the actors are taking it seriously - it gets five stars for being so downright enjoyable. It would get zero stars for a fantasy epic but, you know, it isn't a fantasy epic. It wants to be one. It's a sidekick to the fantasy epic.

Want a film you can laugh at with friends? Get this.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS)
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS)
Offered by Netro Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing, 20 May 2011
While not trying to give anything away in regards to the plot I shall simply say that this is one of my favourite games.
One of the few that I stayed up all night to finish until four in the morning. I couldn't put it down.

You can find out the blurb for yourself and from that point onwards, the story just gets more and more complex. The puzzles are very good. It isn't extraordinarily difficult but it's enough of a challenge to not leave you disappointed. Loveably characters - very loveable characters. I wanted to save this characters! Seriously. The makers knew how to characterise them and they did it superbly well. Graphics: very nice.
You don't need any buttons to play this game, all point-and-click - so perfect for one handed gamers.
This game this just... I can't only say that I love it and I wouldn't change anything.

Let's find a flaw... There's one gapping plot hole. That's it, but if this game was any better my DS would have exploded because it could not have handled it.
I have thoroughly suggested this game to lots of people and I will continue to do so. It's a great game.

The Lord of the Rings (3 Book Box set)
The Lord of the Rings (3 Book Box set)
by J. R. R. Tolkien

5.0 out of 5 stars -, 21 Jan. 2010
I have nothing else to add that other reviewers have no. I simply believe that the series deserved another set of five stars. I first read this when I was eight and I've read it ten times since, each time picking up something I didn't realise in the last times. I can't get over this book. It is one of my absolute favourites and I do adore it.
It's a book that I think everybody should at least try to read, whether or not you like it.

Paprika [DVD] [2007]
Paprika [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Megumi Hayashibara
Offered by A1-Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Different from the book, 2 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Paprika [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
As a person who read the book first I can't help but compare the two. The differences between the two are extremely different, this in itself is a good thing and a bad thing. The book is packed with quite a lot of story so it's reasonable for it to be cut so it could fit into such a film, which also means it doesn't include the parts of the book I didn't like.
I would say they only included 35% of the full novel. Some of the differences are major yet how they cut them down isn't that big a deal. For starters the first fifty pages of the novel were missed entirely. They stripped the body of it all down to one bone. The storyline changed in such a way that really it's a story all on its own and not that connected to the book.
They managed to turn two characters into one and limited their (or should I say his?) back-story to as tiny as they could manage. This is bad in one case because the character of Osanai isn't developed at all and, as he was one of my favourite characters, I was extremely disappointed. Not to mention Kuga and Jin-nai who are squashed down into three minutes and one movement.

Now ignoring the original novel the movie was brilliant. It's all to be expected from Satoshi Kon (I saw his "Paranoia Agent").
The art is superb, in the sense of colour, flow and just being extremely well drawn. The characters all suit their faces and you have to hand it to the artists when it comes to those dream sequences.
There's enough in this film for everybody. There's fun, there's some fluffy romance, and surrealism for those who love media that dances on the edge of sanity.
I could properly spend hours saying what I love about the soundtrack. So instead I'll hold up my copy of the album. It's that good. Also the voice acting was brilliant (NB: I watched the Japanese version with English subtitles).
The characters are loveable and the villains... well, not so much. The two major ones - unfortunately - don't get enough time and simply aren't developed. Then again, the main villain in the original novel hadn't been developed well (to my standard) so the film isn't to blame.

Overall a brilliant film and certainly one to watch if you're a Satoshi Kon fan and if you're not it might just get you hooked onto his work. There's one scene that might make some people slightly uncomfortable but it doesn't last for long and the heroic action continues as planned. Definitely a film to see.
Mind that parade. ;)

Cat In The Window
Cat In The Window
by Derek Tangye

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply perfect, 31 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Cat In The Window (Paperback)
Blurb: " Derek was a dog lover. He was not enamoured of cats ~ until Monty that is! This book, briefly, tells of their life on London, how Jeannie 'acquired' Monty. As those of us who adore cats know, there is always one that has a special place ~ Monty's life was special to both Jeannie and Derek! Every page tells of some adventure or account that brings back fond memories for Derek and Jeannie. How Monty adapted to life at Minack from being a town cat to a country cat. His momentous leap over the stream a view we are all familiar with and every visitor stops to wonder at the stream. Monty's spirit will always live on at Minack. "

With a book like this it's hard to know where to start.
It's an absolutely brilliant book and really deserves more notice. My gran bought a copy for herself and loved it; she passed it down to my dad and he adored it; and now I have it and it is my favourite book. Above epic poems and classical novels of all sorts this short book have to be my all-time favourite.
I shut myself in my room for a day to read it; it's not difficult on any level. It's written from Derek's point of view and soon I fell in love with Monty - as a proud cat lover myself - and so far it has to be the only book that has ever made me cry (and my dad for that matter and he rarely cries). It takes a lot for a book to really connect to the audience in such a way and this book does just that.
It's a book I'll be passing down to my children and if I could only recommend one book in the world to everybody I knew this would be the one.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Thorn
Thorn
by Vena Cork

4.0 out of 5 stars -, 1 May 2009
This review is from: Thorn (Paperback)
I picked this book out of my friend's attic since I needed something to read. It's an easy read, it took me about two/three days to fly through it.
This is a whodunit with the murder in the middle but that's not even half of it, which is what I quite enjoyed. There's about fives plots all mixed together in this but it is crowded at the same time. These subplots where all answered, at the end of it all the loose ends where tied up all very neatly (except one major thing that if I state I will spoil).
The characters are realistic and all equally suspious which I half liked. I did like how anybody and everybody could possibly be evil (besides from the main character) but I thought the writer put slightly too much emphasis on the little 'this character could be the bad guy' bits. Though, unfortunately, without those bits I doubt I would have thought the enemy could be anybody.
It has all the elements for a mystery but the main fault I found with this book is that I correctly guessed who did it. It's not seen a mile away but once you read a lot of Agatha Christie and know how a mystery book works you can make a good guess and once the writer went through each subplot and said 'this suspious character isn't' (leading up to a brilliantly done climax) you can tell where it's going.
Overall a good book and beside from what I said there were no other faults. Since it took me a couple of days that's a sign it definitely had me wrapped within it. Give it go.

White Guardian
White Guardian
by Duo Brand

1.0 out of 5 stars I consider it my duty to warn people of bad books., 21 Mar. 2009
This review is from: White Guardian (Paperback)
The summary/blurb:
The Kingdom of Landa, once a proud nation, is weakened by internal espionage. Returning home to restore order, Crown Prince Linth Highwind Belc Landa IV, is determined to bring about change. In order to succeed with his plans, Linth needs the heroic General Sei--the one man who had left behind the intrigue of the palace for the freedom of the seas.
General Sei now guards Landa from his command post on a naval ship. Unknown to him, amoung the new ensigns on board is a young prince who is secretly plotting his return to shore! How far will Linth go to bring Sei home? Can a battle weary soldier become a guardian angel?

That makes it sound amazing, doesn't it?
Let's start of with the drawings (it's what you see first): they're fine. You can easily recognise each character from page to page. The buildings look like buildings and the ships look like ships. That's the only thing that earns it a star.
Then you've got the awful characters:
Linth has some mental problem I swear. He switches from a determined yet not so bright teenager to a serious leader within five pages, then he starts acting like a three-year-old, back to adult, back to teenager and slips into a comic relief whenever necessary.
Then there's Sei who, for about the first half of the first chapter is "too cowardly to kill" himself because he has "no attachment" to the world. Suddenly he rapes the prince and everything's hunky-dory. One round of that and the prince makes him want to live, and it proves to the prince that he's a good man who he can trust. ... Yes, I was confused by that too.
Sei openly states he's 'raping' Linth because it's gratitute for saving Linth on the third page. Obviously at this point he doesn't know Linth is the prince. Once he does they start arguing like a cute couple, those ones when one scoulds it's because they care. Sei is also a comic relief when necessary.
Plus during this entire 'rape' scene they're talking about politics. Drawn well, but it's distracting.
Since this is one of those 'romance' stories where there's another plot along side it (well I wouldn't call it that), this plot is one of those ones that lacks action but has more talking in it. In the second chapter Linth is trying to work out who is and who isn't on his side - don't worry this isn't that boring, it lasts a page - until you meet Sei's ex-lover, Touri. It isn't mentioned for a while but it's pretty obvious who he is.
He gets jealous of Linth and then, alone, he molests Linth because that's what you do when you're jealous... Linth doesn't get upset by this - why not? - and askes Touri to join him. He faints and he doesn't seem to care. Sei's upset too but if Linth says it's all right... Plus Touri remains there just so he can plant kisses on Sei whenever he can, Sei never stands up to this and starts acting like a uke when he's meant to be a seme. Why must his already failing character die whenever Touri's there?
By now the relationship between Linth and Sei seems to have exploded into them loving each other as though only each other mattered. Sei just wants to protect Linth and Linth desperately wants to please Sei and to stop doing stupid things. They fail miserably. The lines are so cute it almost makes you forget how they got together and that they're relationship would be nothing without the sex.
After that - and the flashbacks within flashbacks - we reach something fairly interesting. Apart from more sex (that's the only time something 'romantic' happens...) Linth does something even more stupid that appointing his rapist as his guardian and his molester as Prime Minister, he tries to spy on some enemies and gets caught. This is a happy ending story, of course he gets saved.
The ending is also disappointing. On the second from last page a villain makes a short appearance as the classic final boss. From the one picture you see of him he would most likely be another rapist but I doubt he'd be given another seat of power. It contains some lovely foreboding and I love foreboding. Except, there is no sequel. This is both good and bad. Good: well, one bad book is better than two. Bad: the plot has just died half way through! The threat of a villian and a huge invasion has just been dropped completely! Bad or not, I finish through things till the end.
I must note that a bad review made me buy this. I wanted to see if a writer could possibly do so many bad things in only 164 pages. Yes, it is possible. Only get the book if you really want something to laugh at or if you need to show somebody how not to write. Just don't buy it. Seriously.

Soap: The Complete First Season [DVD] [1978] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Soap: The Complete First Season [DVD] [1978] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by *** MAGIC-MEDIA ***

5.0 out of 5 stars It should be a classic, 21 Mar. 2009
About a year ago some odd episodes were on late t.v. and my dad recorded one or two for me and I absolutely feel in love with it. The age of the show, I think, doesn't matter at all because this show was made about twenty years before I was born and I think it's genius.
You've got some incredibly rememberable characters: Chuck and Bob (that's two for a start), so realistic and yet so ridiculous (in a good way). The plots jump from the start and nowhere does it get weak at all. The show just keeps on going and everybody who took part in it deserves every penny they get because this has to be one of my favourite shows.
Not only does it make you laugh (very hard and a lot) it also has scenes that will make you cry. The writers and directors have this ability to stir up so much emotion even though the lines make you laugh at the same time. From the start all the characters (apart from the villains) are loveable and it's almost impossible to choose a favourite.

All in all it's a show for drama fans and comedy fans. It's absolutely brilliant and I wish it had gone on for longer.

Anthony Goicolea
Anthony Goicolea
by Anthony Goicolea

5.0 out of 5 stars Morning After, 15 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Anthony Goicolea (Hardcover)
To be honest, Anthony Goicolea's art doesn't suit everybody's taste but for those who have gone though his website (which I do suggest you do before buying this) and like/love his work: do get this. You get art that isn't on the website and, even better, you get extreme close ups - you begin to notice things you can't see on the smaller prints. Also with some of the close up, he's edited them from the original work: the more the better. All of the prints are high quality with beautiful colour.
Also in the front cover you will find a DVD with his videos (apparently Outtakes and an Interview are on there, but I haven't been able to find them) which are just as chilling as his art. Once again: he is the only model/actor thoughout his art.

Selfish Love: Bk. 2
Selfish Love: Bk. 2
by Naduki Koujima

4.0 out of 5 stars Selfish Love, 4 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Selfish Love: Bk. 2 (Paperback)
I have to say I love this book, the plot isn't too confusing. You follow Ryuya Fujio, whose hated rich people since he was a child, he gets chosen for Vice President of the Honours Society by Orito Kuroha, President, who is in love with him but is trying to force Ryuya to say he loves him by constantly kissing him (etc...). Later you find that Kyogo Manazuki, Ryuya's best friend, has a crush on him but Ryuya said the whole "just friends" line and he got over it.
The pity with this book is that it only has Orito forcing himself on Ryuya page after page and Ryuya finally thinks to himself he loves him, but won't say it because they're both guys.
The drawings themselves are brilliant you can recognise Naduki Koujima's drawings anywhere. But, I will say this; they all have big hands.