Profile for Michelle Pusey > Reviews

Content by Michelle Pusey

Michelle Pusey (London United Kingdom)

The Dream Of Scipio
The Dream Of Scipio
by Iain Pears

4.0 out of 5 stars Civilisation as we know we could end at any second..., 1 Sept. 2003
This review is from: The Dream Of Scipio (Paperback)
I loved this book. I took it on holiday expecting something not too far from Instance of the Fingerpost and although the themes of faith versus logic persisted the characters were far more sympathetic. The love story was beautiful and still felt unrequited even when it wasn't. The stories opened up whole areas I know nothing about: anything to do with Rome (!) and the middle ages and to a degree the occupation of France. I was left wanting to understand how these social and cultural/political calamaties get carried along but their own inertia and end in disaster, ok maybe exclude the Black Death from that.
It was hard going, but the writing was beautiful enough and the ideas dragged me along by the scruff of the neck. I knew when I started the final chapter, well I wont mention the end.
I think at this point in time our "civilisation" is on the abyss of a huge global catastrophe. This book shows how our humanity insists that we carry on with the minutiae of our daily lives and how we risk missing the horros that surround us and may engulf us.... ok so it's not always a barrel of laughs. Great read.