Profile for A. Young > Reviews

Content by A. Young

A. Young "AMCY" (Hertfordshire, UK)

Jabra Revo Wireless Bluetooth On-Ear Headphones with Mic - Black/Gold
Jabra Revo Wireless Bluetooth On-Ear Headphones with Mic - Black/Gold

5.0 out of 5 stars A year on and I still love them., 18 Jan. 2016
A year on and I still love them. I use them every day on a commute. They have great sound quality, the battery lasts well, they are robust, there is no real sound leakage. All in all, a great buy. The only negative I have is that the top volume is sometimes not loud enough.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely useless. Does not work at all, 18 Jan. 2016
Absolutely useless. Does not work at all. The camera cannot focus and is blurred even with manual focus on full zoom. A complete waste of money.

Traces
Traces

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise of 2010, 20 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Traces (Audio CD)
I am always reluctant to believe reviews that date albums as the best of the year. I listen to lots of music of varied genres and can rarely agree on the best albums of any year with myself!

However, this is easily in my top 3 albums of last year. From the first time I heard it, I was gob-smacked. It is clever music played by accomplished musicians who deliver thought provoking lyrics to a solid backing of layered music. I am not sure what I expected when I ordered it, but it was in another stratesphere. The guitar playing of Ade Jones is almost David Gilmour-esque in places, without being a cheap copy. The singing of Marc Atkinson makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck and the keyboards, bass and drums are perfectly played. The production is lush and the whole packaging is beautiful with great artwork throughout. It is an album of the old vinyl days in many ways - about 50 minutes in length and meant to be played in one sitting.

Some albums are great when you first hear them, but then quickly fade as you stop to hear anything new from them. Other albums do not hit the spot immediately but grow with subsequent plays. Traces is something rare - the first time I heard it, I loved it and knew it was a special album. However, it has just improved with each subsequent play. In case anyone wonders, I am not related to any of the band or on their payroll! This is just such a perfect, multiple-layered, awe-inspiring album. I would recommend anyone who likes independent, alternative rock towards the prog (with a very small "p") end of the spectre to take a chance and buy this work of art.

I was lucky enough to buy it with the bonus CD. If you can get it with that thenyou are truly in for a treat. It is not a disc of throwaway outtakes, but completely new workings of songs or parts of them and as good as the original album itself.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2011 7:59 PM GMT

Stay With Me Til Dawn
Stay With Me Til Dawn

3.0 out of 5 stars Lazy compilation, 23 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Stay With Me Til Dawn (Audio CD)
This is a lazy compilation of great songs. It covers her first 3 (brilliant) albums ('Welcome to the Cruise', 'Sportscar' & 'I am the Phoenix'), plus her 7th album ('Turning Stones'). The reason for this is copyright - the first 3 albums were on Rocket Records and 'Turning Stones' was on Polydor, the other albums were on different labels.

It then takes 4 songs from each album. Not the best 4 in my opinion (no 'For You' for example). The compilers then just stick the 4 songs from each album together, although (bizarrely) they then mix up the album order - 4 songs from the 1st album, 4 from the 7th album, 4 from the 2nd album and then 4 from the 3rd album.

This gives the album a jumpy feel - a 10 year jump is noticeable from an artist whose style does not stand still.

Don't get me wrong, the songs are absolutely (I would give all her first 4 albums 5 stars), but this is just a poor compilation. If you want a full retrospective, then the recent 'Moon on A Mirrorball' is a better place to start, and if you only want a compilation of the first albums, then I would get 'Road Noise - The Official Bootleg' (recently re-released).

She is a genius (even if her voise is an acquired taste), but this does not do her justice. I would give 3.5 stars if I could.

Someone Here Is Missing
Someone Here Is Missing

5.0 out of 5 stars 2010's music just improved remarkably, 19 May 2010
This review is from: Someone Here Is Missing (Audio CD)
How many top-drawer albums can one group release and still remain relatively unknown? In the case of The Pineapple Thief (TPT), the answer appears to be 8 - this is their 8th studio album (excluding compilations, re-releases, etc) and they continue to evolve and produce high quality work. This album probably hangs together as a single body of work better than any so far and, believe me, that is saying a lot as all their old work (mostly long since deleted) is consistently rounded, mature, professional and just plain "good". There are probably more twanging acoustic guitars, more heavy guitar solos, less mellotron-layering and more harmonies than before and a consistent feel across the tracks - even the quieter acoustic sections feel they belong to the same album as the longer heavier bits.

I hate the continual musical references the band get (Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, Elbow, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins et al). They may seem necessary to explain the sound, but TPT are anything but a pale copy of these groups. They have moved and gone where they want to go and are leaders of their own genre rather than followers of someone else's. Whilst I was full of anticipation for Porcupine Tree's The Incident last year, but felt disappointed when it arrived, this is the reverse - exceeding all my expectations and worth every day of waiting for the package to hit my doormat.

Bruce Soord's lyrics and singing are always bitter, brooding, resentful and paranoid. That is not a bad thing to my mind - the songs sing of important passages in his life and are full of feeling. From the quiet and moving "Barely Breathing" through to the longer "So We Row" and the single "Nothing At Best", the album is full of highlights. I have played it about 8 times and still have no clear favourite, no song I want to skip and no desire to remove it from my player.

If there was any justice in the world, these guys would be on Jools Holland, at the Brits and headlining Glastonbury. Whilst they deserve it, part of me is a little glad that they remain a secret to me and a few tens of thousands of other true music lovers. Do yourself a favour - give it a go.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2010 5:49 PM BST

Identity
Identity

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of 2009?, 29 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Identity (Audio CD)
This is, without doubt, my favourite album of 2009. The debut album from this Norwegian group has reworked versions of songs on previous EPs, but (despite this) works as a whole work in its own right. Anyone who likes David Gilmour's guitar playing and the more melodic side of Pink Floyd will appreciate Identity. It flows so well and gives you almost 55 minutes of beautiful music - slow, thought provoking and worth digging out.

3000 Days
3000 Days

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - as close to perfection as I can imagine, 10 Aug. 2009
This review is from: 3000 Days (MP3 Download)
I was at first reluctant to buy this compilation. I have everything Bruce Soord has done with The Pineapple Thief and am a great fan of their work - studio and live. However, I thought, I have all these songs on their original albums. Why should I spend good money on a compilation? Being a completist when it comes to all things pineapple, I eventually pre-ordered it though.

Boy am I glad I did. The packaging is superb. The notes are a brilliant insight into how Bruce feels about his songs. The selction is wonderful. However, the best bit is the remixing the songs have received from Bruce and Steve Kitch. As the previous reviewer said, they work as an album in their own right purely because of the time and thought put into remixing, reengineering and getting the track order right. I originally thought it odd that several songs from one album were close together on one disc, with none on the other disc - but it works. It works so well.

My only problem is finding enough uninterrupted time to play this masterpiece through in a single sitting and give it the attention it so richly deserves.

Bruce has always been a perfectionist - he withdrew 12 Stories Down because it was not right in his mind and took time to come up with 10 Stories Down instead. This is as close to perfection as he has yet managed to get.

Bring on the new album in 2010!

Tightly Unwound
Tightly Unwound

5.0 out of 5 stars Why are they so unknown?, 16 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Tightly Unwound (Audio CD)
This is the 7th album by The Pineapple Thief and a classic. Unlike some groups, whose output just goes in ever decreasing circles by repeating the same formula, TPT keep going off in slightly new directions. This album is heavier than previous ones, but paradoxically includes My Debt To You, which is probably their quietest track yet. As well as plenty of great 4-5 minute classics (Shoot First, And So Say All of You and The Sorry State being my favourite of these), there are two of their best ever epics. The ebbing and flowing of Different World and Too Much To Lose (my favourite track by anybody from 2008) are awe-inspiring and leave you emotionally drained and reaching for the rewind button.

It is the likes of these two tracks that have them labelled as "prog" - but don't be fooled, this is not 20 minute keyboard solos and has nothing much in common with Yes, ELP, Mike Oldfield and the like. Instead, anyone who likes Coldplay, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree or any good alternative rock band will find something they like here.

Why are they not more famous? Who knows, but grab the chance to own this masterpiece and also to see them live where they are better even than the recorded version. Go on, take a chance, give it a few plays and be impressed.