Profile for Boone19 > Reviews

Boone19

Part & Parcel
Part & Parcel

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 star band, 4 star album, 12 April 2012
This review is from: Part & Parcel (Audio CD)
I first saw the skints supporting Reel Big Fish early last year, and I was blown away. I've always loved reggae, ska, and rocksteady, and to see a NEW band take it and give it such a relevant modern edge was amazing. I immediately bought 'Live, Breathe, Build, Believe' and wasn't disappointed: the reggae basis was there, but the rock and grime flavours infused with it made it a unique listening experience. It was full of passion and energy, with heavy political undertones. If I had one criticism to make of LBBB, I would say that it just lacked a bit of finesse and lacked the maturity of a really classic album.

So I bought Part & Parcel in high hopes, and was extremely satisfied with it. The maturity that was lacking in LBBB makes P&P, and its a sophisticated mixture thoughtful and diverse reggae tracks. It was also great to hear a more even spread between the three vocalists: Josh providing P&P with its distinctive London edge, Jamie's soulful tones mellowing a few of the more chilled tracks and Marcia's effortless voice the glue holding it all together. The rhythms a sharp and interesting, and the keyboards add more body to the the guitar's skank, and the sax brings another dimension into the mix. Musically, P&P is very difficult to fault, and is supported by excellent lyrics. Whether it's the simple but effective imagery in 'Sunny, Sunny', or the elaborate tales of East London life in 'Live East, Die Young', the lyrics, if not always extremely complex, make interesting listening anyway.

So why then only four stars? Although musically very tight, lyrically very interesting and an all-round mature and thoughtful album, the passion and raw energy of LBBB lacks slightly. Don't get me wrong, P&P is an excellent album, but the slightly aggressive edge of LBBB is not really here. For some, I realise, that will be a positive, but for me, that edge just adds that final ingredient. If this were another band, I might well have given P&P five stars: it's certainly good enough. However, I'd love to save that for the masterpiece the Skints will inevitably release in the future. The Skints are probably the most exciting band around at the moment, so I would highly recommend both albums, and say go and follow them. In the future they will be big.

What We Left Behind
What We Left Behind

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Pop Punk sound, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: What We Left Behind (Audio CD)
I went to see these guys at a gig a few months ago, and i thought that for a supporting band, they were pretty sick. However, it was only recently that i downloaded their album, and i have to say that it is an absolutley brilliant collection.

They avoid being generic, which is the downfall of so many pop punk bands, and have fused the styles of bands like New Found Glory and Four Year Strong, as well as adding their own sound. If more bands like this can make their mark, then I think that Pop Punk could make a serious comeback.

Buy this album, listen to this album, love this album, and just try not to jump. This is SERIOUSLY good stuff.