Profile for Ash > Reviews

Content by Ash

Ash

Page: 1 | 2
Zoostorm 7270-0021 Home PC (Core i5-4440 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB SATA HDD, DVDRW, Windows 8.1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance, very pleased., 9 Jan. 2015
Bought this on a "black friday" deal to replace an older PC I was using for Linux-based gaming & flight simulator. I went straight for installing my Linux system of choice, Lubuntu 14.10 64Bit. The computer itself while feeling light is in fact quite well constructed, with metal case sides & a slot for adding a second hard disk. My only minor gripe is that while there are spare SATA ports on the board, they only provide 2x SATA power cables from the power supply - both of which are used (1x for hard disk, 1x for cd drive) which means using an adaptor if you want to power a second hard disk. Performance is as expected, 3.1GHz Core i5 and 8GB of RAM running a modern open source 64Bit operating system gives plenty of power and, perhaps surprisingly, the inbuilt Intel graphics perform better than when I tried the dedicated 2GB Nvidia card I was using in the older PC. All in all an excellent purchase. X-Plane 64Bit for Linux is nice and smooth, as is my favourite blaster Team Fortress 2 (via Steam for Linux) I cannot however comment on this computer's performance with its supplied Windows operating system, as I chose to erase it in favour of an open source alternative.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2015 1:46 PM GMT

Kingston Technology SD10V/16GB Class10 SDHC 16GB Memory Card
Kingston Technology SD10V/16GB Class10 SDHC 16GB Memory Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price for a known-branded SD card, 5 Sept. 2014
I wanted a new SD card for a Raspberry Pi project, so in the end I purchased this 16GB one for my camera kit and moved the oldest, class 2, card I had in my camera bag to my Raspberry. The card arrived on-time, and works fine.

Replacement battery for TomTom Go 300, Go 400, Go 500, Go 530, Go 530T, Go 510, Go 510T, Go 600, Go 700, Go 700T, Go 710, Go 910, Go 4D00.001
Offered by Elite Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Works absolutely fine, care & patience is required during fitting., 5 Sept. 2014
Bought two of these as both family TomTom's original batteries were not holding their charge.
Be warned that they are fiddly to fit, and requires disassembly of the TomTom Go, but be patient and read the many online guides before hand and during. Its not a 5 minute job. Patience & giving yourself enough time is the key.

TomTom Tool Kit (6 Piece)
TomTom Tool Kit (6 Piece)
Offered by UK Battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the job., 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: TomTom Tool Kit (6 Piece) (Misc.)
Fits the TomTom GO's perfectly. Theres even a flat tool for hooking-off the front facia.

Masterplug Outdoor Power WRRL1510-MS 15 m 2-Pin IP44 Extension Lead with Heavy-Duty Plug (Orange)

4.0 out of 5 stars Spot-on replacement for mower power cable., 5 Sept. 2014
Replaced after I accidentally ran over the cable suppled with my lawn mower. The cable plug fits my Bosch Rotak perfectly.

Pyle Home PCB4WT 200W 4 inch Mini Cube Bookshelf Speaker - White
Pyle Home PCB4WT 200W 4 inch Mini Cube Bookshelf Speaker - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made small cube speakers, ideal for surround sound., 5 Sept. 2014
Bought these as I wanted some small cube speakers for surround sound rears in a newly decorated room.
Brilliant build quality, built-in receptacle pulls out of the back to hook the speaker - I managed to find some suitable, square hooks, at my local DIY store. A bit fiddly to mount but you only do it once. A good purchase at a very reasonable price.

(Plug & Play) DBPOWER® HD P2P Outdoor Waterproof Network Security IP Camera with IR Cut H.264 Dual Streaming Function CCTV Survelliace IP Camera Night Vision Up to 15M, Support Motion Detection Alarm, compatibility ONVIF protocol, mobile remote viewing
Offered by HappyGo

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous set-up, and might be trying to contact external sites without permission., 5 Sept. 2014
Web interface in Chinese (Firefox, Crome, Safari)
Have to use a Windows-specific app to set it up (no good for Mac or Linux)
I did try with Internet Explorer running under emulation (I don't have a PC at home) but this camera then wanted to install some kind of Active X control. Why? just to set up a camera?

I was never able to set up the TCP/IP address, or anything else, other than its default.

Be warned that there are also a number of TCP/IP ports in the upper range that this camera tries to open. I suspect its "phoning home" to somewhere, I couldn't tell where as I wasn't successful in connecting it to my network.

I did attempt Telnet, the not-so-secret password is found by opening the camera reset utility EXE file in a text editor. Search for "admin" and you'll find a section of text which describes the reset EXE's telnet session - if anyone is interested it runs Linux with Busybox (don't they all!) but at that point I couldn't be bothered to try and set anything via command line - why should I.

Of course the main worry is all those TCP/IP ports. Whats it doing? What and Where is it trying to send data? Doing this kind of thing, if thats whats really going on, is absolutely underhand and not required at all for a security camera.

Shame as the picture I did get (clicking on the Chinese characters and guessing) looked pretty good.

Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Offered by NowView

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent package - all you need to get your Pi project started, 4 Aug. 2014
This is my 2nd Raspberry Pi, the first one I use as a greenhouse monitor and it was towards the little Pi I looked again when I wanted something to play streaming media on the bedroom television. I have some custom firmware installed on a Humax Fox Sat PVR in the living room and amongst other things this provides UPNP streaming of recorded tv shows (using Twonky or MediaTomb) and wanted something simple, lightweight & non-obtrusive for bedroom playback. The SD card was pre-installed with NOOBS (check out Raspberry Pi web site for more info) so installing OpenElec, the lightweight XBMC-based media centre, was done within a few clicks. Overall an excellent package. Whatever you're going to use a Raspberry Pi for I would recommend this kit as it comes with a power supply, the Pi itself, a case & an SD card all ready to go.

DBPOWER® Infrared Remote Extender 1 Receiver 6 Emitters Hidden IR Repeater System Kit DC

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, can be powered from its power supply or USB power., 22 July 2014
Works very well, and it can also be powered by USB if any of your AV equipment has a USB port which provides power. This is a bonus as it avoids having to find yet another mains socket to plug the power supply into. The unit itself is well constructed, comes with a nice selection of stick-on IR transmitters, the IR receiver eye is desecrate enough, and it has screw holes should you want to mount the main box somewhere.

PowerWalker VI 650VA IEC 360W UPS
PowerWalker VI 650VA IEC 360W UPS

2.0 out of 5 stars Comes crippled by an Eco Green Treehugging mode, only way to disable it is to invalidate the warranty., 22 July 2014
I purchased two of these units. One to power a mini Linux-based server & a network switch, and the other to power my router which is in a separate part of the house. The one running the Linux box works absolutely fine, I'm using the open source NUT monitoring software via the PowerWalker's USB port to monitor & shut down the server as needed. However the one plugged into my router shuts down after only 5 minutes of electricity failure. An email to BlueWalker/PowerWalker support revealed that it comes hard-wired with a "Green" mode - under low loads it will shut off as it doesn't think anything is connected (a router only draws a small amount of power) & the only way to disable "green" mode is to unsolder a component inside the unit, which INVALIDATES THE WARRANTY. This UPS is fine if powering a PC, but do not even consider it just to keep a router going. This UPS comes crippled out of the box by misguided Eco Greenism, which in my experience always means a product performs worse than it should. For that reason, avoid this product.

Page: 1 | 2