Profile for MarcosP > Reviews

Content by MarcosP

MarcosP "Marcos P" (London)

casa pura® Floating Shelf, Stockholm, Wood Finish, (100 x 23 cm) | Concealed Wall Mounting | Available in 5 Colours and 3 Sizes
Offered by Home and Office

2.0 out of 5 stars No instructions- for a DIY dunce like me, that's bad news, 24 Nov. 2015
Shelf arrived with the laminate chipped off at one corner. No instructions- for a DIY dunce like me, that's bad news. I used the rawlplugs and screws provided to fix the shelf to the wall as tightly as possible - they felt as though snugly in place. As soon as I put books on it, it sagged and half fell off the wall - I suppose the guide holes for the rawlplugs were too wide, but as I'm not a DIY'er, I suppose I'll have to live & learn. Bodged it on by buying a couple of wall brackets and chains to fix & suspend the shelf. Extra cost, extra hassle, no longer a floating shelf. I have no issues with flat pack furniture and odd jobs but I'm not a DIYer and the look of this shelf now proves it. At £25 it's still not bad, but this gets two stars because it arrived damaged (despite being well packed in styrofoam - damage must have occurred prior to packing) and because no instructions advising on how to securely fix the shelf, e.g. on how to drill guide holes of appropriate size in masonry. A good product if you're Bob the Builder or have one indoors.

Clearspring Organic Traditional Oatcakes, 200g
Clearspring Organic Traditional Oatcakes, 200g
Offered by Superfood Market

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good. The first batch I bought tasted rancid, 24 Nov. 2015
Really good. The first batch I bought tasted rancid, I think they'd been kept in an Amazon warehouse for too long, but I ordered more and they're easily the best commercial oatcakes I've tasted. Plus, much less saturated fat, and no orangutans had to die to make them (no palm oil!)

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not pure DE, 12 Jun. 2014
Mixed with bentonite/clay. It works, but not as well as pure DE. Better to get the white stuff, if you can.

Clearspring Organic Traditional Oatcakes 200 g (Pack of 6)
Clearspring Organic Traditional Oatcakes 200 g (Pack of 6)
Offered by Best4Deals

1.0 out of 5 stars Rancid?, 12 Jun. 2014
I eat a lot of oatcakes because I rarely eat bread - I get through about 2 packs a week. I usually buy Nairn's but wanted to get an organic brand made with olive oil, not palm oil. I'd tried Paterson's olive oil based oatcakes and really liked them, but they aren't organic. So I ordered 12 boxes of these, enough to last me a month. But the taste is repulsive - like rancid oil, bitter and lingering. Truly it makes me gag. And they stink - really stink - when the packet is opened. All the boxes have expiry date next month. Reading all the positive taste reviews I can only assume these must have been stored in a hot Amazon warehouse for 2 years and gone off. That or the other reviewers have significant neurological damage to the olfactory part of their brain. But that's £30 down the drain, and a brand I will avoid in future.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2017 3:06 PM GMT

Culpeper's Complete Herbal (Wordsworth Reference)
Culpeper's Complete Herbal (Wordsworth Reference)
by Nicholas Culpeper

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent unrevised edition of a classic, 27 Jun. 2010
I now own two copies of this book, one nearly falling apart with frequent use and the other on the bookshelf. It is quite simply an excellent reference book for a working herbalist (which I am), especially one who studies and uses renaisance astrology too (which I do). For anyone who's not a herbalist and an astrologer(!) this book is still excellent - for the skeptic it's an often-amusing and enthralling look at the misguided medicine of the past, whilst for the historian, gardener, artist or modern-day user of medicinal plants it has much to offer. I love this edition as it hasn't been bastardised with unnecessary illustrations or stupidly edited to make it more 'readable', and it simply reproduces the original text. The order of subjects and herbs is a little jumbled and eccentric, but the information is all there, laid out quite logically once you get used to Culpeper's acerbic and occasionally tangential writing style. Besides, what would you expect from a 16th century maverick astrologer-apothecary, if not a little idiosyncratic editing? In fact Culpeper goes out of his way to provide extra information on how to prepare medicines, basic diagnostic techniques of his era, and other arcane joys. This book truly is a great pleasure, and should be read by, well, everybody with any interest in the history and practice of medicine.

En Tact
En Tact
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars 13 again.... and better than first time around!, 26 May 2009
This review is from: En Tact (Audio CD)
I have both versions of En-Tact, both the original release (now difficult to get hold of), and this second version of the album, more "polished" and with lots of extra mixes on it. I disagree that it's not as good, just different; there really isn't a dud track on it. It starts with the big hit remix of Progen (Move Any Mountain - brilliant!) and from there on in it's all pre- "'ezer Goode" leftfield pop (Human NRG 808 state mix, Omega Amigo, Hyperreal), excellent tech-house (Mr C's rework of Possible Worlds, the Renegade Soundwave mix of Lightspan), pre-trip-hop spaced out rapping (Oxygen Restriction) and the genre-blending quality metal-tech-ambient Make it Mine. Let no one mislead you - this album is freaky quirky funky pop genius and a total treat. I only wish they'd re-release the original version of En-Tact on CD too and flog em as a double.

Looking for Jake and Other Stories
Looking for Jake and Other Stories
by China Miéville

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 7 July 2008
This is the first book I've read by this author, so - looking at some of the other reviews here - I'm not influenced by comparisons with his other works. I loved this book - it's excellently written, the plot twists are actually twisty (i.e. not consistently predictable), it's paranoid and apocalyptic. Like the schizophrenic thoughts you'd get after a heavy session on speed and acid and three days with no sleep, made into real worlds. These stories have somthing of a Ray Bradbury quality of well-crafted vignettes, but with a consistently darker cast to them. Whilst I agree that the cartoon story - sorry, graphic novella - isn't that great, as a collection it rocks. Three stars? You're avin a larf!