Profile for Lilly Penhaligon > Reviews

Content by Lilly Penhaligon

Lilly Penhaligon (United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
AMELIORATE Skin Softening Bathing Powder 350 g
AMELIORATE Skin Softening Bathing Powder 350 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent; may move my entire body and skin care over to this brand, 18 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had seen the body lotion from this brand being raved about on YouTube and thought that once again, this was only available to the American market, so when I saw that this was available on Amazon UK, I was absolutely delighted. I am not normally one to use bath powders so this was a new concept to me. This is a very generous size pot and it comes with a scoop; even going by the generous size of the scoop, this is going to last a good time so in my view it is good value for money.

This bath powder is very finely milled and in the pot it smells of baby powder or something along those lines. In the bath, I don't really notice any type of smell, nor does it fragrance your skin so it won't interfere with any body lotion or perfume you may want to wear afterwards. I have very dry skin on my legs and I have been using a combination of the Dove Spa cream and Aveeno's daily moisturising lotion to deal with this. After a week and a bit of using this in my evening baths, I have noticed a substantial difference in my skin (even from the first use). This has left my skin feeling moisturised (without any sticky residue) and I no longer have those chicken skin bumps on the tops of my arms. My elbows are nice and smooth, skin looks even (no dry patches) and even my feet and hands have been feeling much softer, smoother and more moisturised. I could certainly go without lotion now if I wanted to and am finding the Aveeno and Dove a little too heavy.

I have psoriasis on the back of my scalp and have tried for years to find a shampoo that doesn't irritate the heck out of it. In an experiment the other evening, I made a mixture of this powder and Palmer's Coconut Oil Shampoo and used it to wash my hair. I could not believe the difference, my psoriasis patch felt smooth and cooled and there was no flaking after brushing. Now, I can't say that everyone who has psoriasis will get the same effect, I am just mentioning my own experience.

I will be looking at other items from this brand - mostly body lotion, shampoo, shower gel and any other items that might be available in the UK. If they have a good range, I may seriously consider moving my entire skin and body care over to this brand. 5 stars all over this product from me.

SONIC Chic URBAN Travel Toothbrush, Starlight
SONIC Chic URBAN Travel Toothbrush, Starlight

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for interim cleaning during the day and for travel, 17 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use this brush as an interim toothbrush - so during the week I will use it at work after lunch and also after drinking coffee, before meetings and presentations etc and at the weekends or on short trips, I keep this with the my floss etc in my handbag for touch up cleaning during the day. I would not replace my main toothbrush which I would use for core cleaning in the morning and at night.

I have the Starlight design so this is a nice cheerful pink colour with white starlike geometric designs on the outer shell. In the box you get the brush, the cover, a replacement head and a battery. I think the inclusion of a replacement head was very nice indeed.

Things I like about it:
-it's slim design and the fact it has a cover is handy for travel and for keeping in your handbag
-battery means you don't need to carry a charger
-works well for interim cleaning during the day between main brushings
-nice, cheerful design

Things that are worth mentioning: I find the on/off button really really hard to use, it's actually getting a bit frustrating as turning it on and off require a super hard depress which I seem to be rather poor at. I have had multiple occasions where I have struggled to turn the thing off. I also don't understand why the actual brush handle is so short; I don't have overly large hands but somehow this just seems to be much shorter than our standard electric toothbrush. Thirdly, I know that it is a sonic toothbrush and it's works well like I say for interim cleaning but I wouldn't replace my main toothbrush with this version. I am not sure what this brush is meant for - if it's for travel/during the day then I would say it gets the job done well for the cheap production but if it's meant to be an actual toothbrush that you would use for your main cleaning then I would give this 3 stars.

If, like me, you like to brush your teeth after lunch/before meetings etc, then you probably won't be disappointed with this; however, at £19.99 a pop, it might be worth browsing the market before plumping for this. I hope the on/off switch gets less stiff over time.

Sony h.ear EX750BT Bluetooth High Resolution In Ear Headphones - Blue
Sony h.ear EX750BT Bluetooth High Resolution In Ear Headphones - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb sound and nice concept, 16 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are probably the most expensive earphones I have ever owned and I am not disappointed. I have never experienced the collar-type style before and whilst it was really odd at first, I am getting use to it. These headphones come well packaged and in the box you get the headphones/collar, a usb connector wire and the extension wire that allows you to use these in the conventional way via headphone jack. Also in the box is the warranty paperwork, instruction booklet and a generous selection of silicon covers in different sizes for the headphones. There is also a thick, good quality, drawstring bag for carrying your headphones around with you.

The collar is labelled L and R; on the left are the power button, volume control and the little hatch that allows you to connect the conventional headphone wire with jack connector/charger. The instruction book shows you how to pair the headphones with your phone/music device and the steps are easy and relatively quick. Charging takes a little while; however, you get a good few hours of wireless playback. I use these to listen to audiobooks mostly and for this purpose the sound is excellent - crisp, clear with a great balance of bass and treble. These have also worked really well for dramatisations; allowing even subtle noises to come through. I have also used them to listen to music and can say these are hands down the best earphones I have used to date.

These are advertised as blue but to my mind, these are very much blue-green which is heavy on the green - not unpleasant at all but definitely not what I would call blue.

These are expensive but in my view they are really worth the money. If you are looking for crisp, clear sound along with good wireless functionality, then these are worth the punt. The only thing that I have found personally, which is the reason for the 4 stars, is that these are less convenient to carry about as the collar is stiff and does not fold down. I take these into work and they take up a fair bit of room in my bag. In addition, I am not sure that I am totally comfortable with the plastic collar type style. I find that I am very aware of them on my neck; they aren't uncomfortable in any way, it's just that I can feel them on my neck and it makes me feel like I am wearing a big plastic necklace. These are small issues however and should not detract others from considering these.

GENUINE FOSSIL Bag Sydney Female Black - zb5486001
GENUINE FOSSIL Bag Sydney Female Black - zb5486001

5.0 out of 5 stars Spacious, functional, beautiful - an excellent all-round bag, 16 May 2016
This lovely bag was delivered quickly and was extremely well packaged. All the hardware was wrapped in protective foam (even the actual card Fossil tag was wrapped) so if you are thinking of giving this as a gift, it will be well protected.

This beautiful bag is made of stunning soft, buttery leather on the outside and has a heavy duty, black cotton twill lining. Inside the bag, there are two very generous pockets on either side of the bag - one is zipped, the other is just like a phone pocket. Both pockets are very expandable so in the 'phone pocket' I can fit the dust bag, three lip products, my zipped card case and a compact mirror and I still have room! On the back wall of the purse, are built in card slots so you don't have to use a separate wallet if you want to maximise storage in this purse. I actually use this function to store cards that I would like to carry with me but don't use often and don't want clogging up my wallet.

The bag has two main zips which zip all the way down to the bottom of the bag - this is really the design that the LV Speedy could do with! So the bag opens extremely wide and you can get to your stuff really easily. There are two sewn in gussets either side that stops your items from falling out when the bag is fully open.

The zip mechanisms are very smooth and easy to use and the little zips have gold ring hardware attached to them which you can attach a small padlock to and lock the bag shut if you are travelling. There's also an attachment inside the purse that you can attach your keys to. There's a generous pocket on the outside of the purse (on the back) that is absolutely perfect for carrying your mobile phone. There are grab handles that allow the purse to be carried by hand or in the crook of the arm and there's a detachable strap that can make the bag suitable for shoulder carrying or even crossbody carrying.

Overall, this small bag is deceptively spacious like the tardis. The amount of items that can be comfortably stored in this purse is quite astounding - there are lots of video reviews on YouTube so check those out to see just how much can be stuffed in here.

Fantastic as a work bag, a personal handbag and for travel, this is a fabulous all-round purse. I have replaced my bulky, annoying to use LV Speedy for this bag and have not looked back!

Burt's Bees  Tinted Lip Balm Pink Blossom 4.25 g
Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm Pink Blossom 4.25 g

5.0 out of 5 stars My #1 lip balm of the year so far!, 16 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I almost never award 5 stars for a lip balm because I am incredibly picky when it comes to this type of lip product. My lips are chronically dry as a result of long-term medication use so my dry lips need a lot of attention or else they crack and split. I have tried everything from cheap drug store brands to eye-wateringly expensive high end. In between that I tried various other Burt's Bees chapsticks and I have never enjoyed them. Too hard, too waxy and very little moisture payoff. So when I saw this product come up I only got it because I loved the pink colour on the packaging and decided to give Burt's Bees one last punt.

This product has worked better for me than even my current heavyweight contenders: Nuxe Reve De Miel and La Roche Posay's Cicaplast Baum. This tinted lip balm is soft, applies beautifully, isn't horribly shiny, isn't horribly thick, has no discernible taste, is very very lightly tinted (think your lip colour but better), stays on for a long time even through eating and drinking and offers the best continuous moisturizing effect that I have experienced in a very very long time. In relation to the last point, I find that I don't have to reapply this very often during the day so looking at the amount in the tube, this is great value for money. The balm itself looks dark in the tube but applies very sheer. If you have very pink lips, then this may not give you great colour payoff but if you are more interested in the lip balm side of things and do not care for the colour, this is extremely natural looking and will not interfere with any lipstick/gloss that you may want to apply on top.

I will be buying one for each handbag, the car, work, home etc as I just cannot be without this now.

Definitely my #1 lip balm this year!

Burgess Excel Natures Blend Nuggets Rabbit Food 1.5kg
Burgess Excel Natures Blend Nuggets Rabbit Food 1.5kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Rabbits loved it!, 9 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well the rabbits loved it. For the price point this bag is excellent value for money, great ingredients and my friend's rabbit seem to love it. This is being used to feed adult rabbits as friend advised not suitable for baby/very young rabbits. Not much else to say other than friend is definitely converted and will be looking at purchasing this brand in future.

Anne Klein Women's The Lily Quartz Watch with Rose Gold Dial Analogue Display and Rose Gold Alloy Bracelet 10/N6418RGRG
Offered by Watch Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Seeing it in person first is recommended, 9 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, the rose gold of this watch is much more subtle than others I have seen and definitely a loss less pink than pictured. This rose gold watch is surprisingly lightweight considering that it is entirely of metal construction and sits nicely on the wrist. The links are very comfortable and although they will shift and move with the movement of your wrist, they do not trap and pull out arm hair like some bracelets and other watches I have do. So far so good. As I said, the watch is entirely metal and is adjustable by removing the extra closing clasp. With the extra clasp removed, this watch will likely fit any wrist that can take the jewellery industry standard 7.5" wrist - if you need a little extra wiggle room, using the extra clasp will help you out. The watch comes fitted with the extra clasp so look for the clasp part without the Anne Klein lion logo and detach from there.

The watch face is actually gold with rose gold roman numerals. I actually think it would have been better to have a contrasting base on the face as I find that the colours actually clash a little bit. This watch also has the minute hand which is useful. The actual design is very minimalist - plain metal with a very subtle Anne Klein lion logo embossed into the metal on the closure clasp and Anne Klein in small black letters on the watch face. The watch bezel is smooth rose gold in an oblong shape which joins neatly on to the watch straps. I don't know if the watch straps are replaceable or where you might get replacements from.

The watch comes gift boxed in an Anne Klein navy blue box which has a pleasant, smooth, velvety texture and the watch sits nicely wrapped around a cushion. The Anne Klein logo is blind embossed on the outer lid and also appears in the white satin on the inner lid. The watch came with plastic covering over the front and rear of the watch face so if you are giving this as a gift, you may wish to remove this first. The Anne Klein tag was attached to the watch strap but did not have the price on it. The box was enclosed in a disposable white card box.

This is a versatile watch that you could easily wear for casual/everyday stuff and is chic enough to wear for evening functions. It is not too big and clunky and fits well under sleeves etc without getting caught.

What I was disappointed with - there were some flaws on my watch. The bezel around the watch face is finished very nicely; however, the sides of the first set of bands in the watch strap are somewhat bubbly and aren't nicely smoothed off as the rest of the watch. Unfortunately, as these sides face the watch face, you can really see them when you are looking at it. I have been wearing this watch all weekend and my husband noticed it as well as a couple of friends. To me, this makes the watch seem a bit cheap. There is also a tiny grey line on one side of the watch face on the side bezel - no-one else has noticed it and you would have to be really looking at this watch closely to see it but it is inside the glass so you can't remove it. Some of the rose gold colouring has come off the clasp closure - admittedly this is on the inside so only I would notice it but again, it makes the watch feel a little cheap. This may just be my watch so could not say if this would occur on all these watches; however, these flaws would not make it suitable for a gift in my opinion.

The pros:
-lightweight
-neat and chic on the wrist
-includes a minute hand
-metal construction so hardwearing
-easily adjustable
-comes with gift box

The cons:
-the colour - just not quite the rose gold I was expecting - I think this is a watch you need to see in person
-colour contrast on watch face is clashy (in my opinion)
-some flaws *on my watch* including some areas that could have been finished better (bubbly metal), grey line inside watch face and some colour loss to inside of clasp closure

I think this is a watch that you have to see in person before purchase.

Bodybuilding Warehouse Pure Whey Protein Concentrate 80 Powder Millionaires Shortcake 1 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars A good protein, nice flavour and great for a sweet tooth, 3 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this for my partner who drinks one of these a day. He usually orders from a different brand but was willing to give this a try. I can tell you that this smells out of the world and according to him, it tastes good and does pretty much the same thing as he traditional brand. The packaging is nice and minimal which is important for us as we have limited storage. There's not really much to report, he is very picky about his proteins but he likes this one; he would definitely buy this again; however, he says that he would choose another flavour (we have Millionaire's Shortbread) as this was a strong flavour and very very sweet for him. He does not have a sweet tooth so do bear that in mind when reading this review.

All in all, this gets brownie points from my husband. He would like to try another flavour in the future and that might bump this to 5 stars for him. He recommends this for people with a sweet tooth.

Watching Edie: The most unsettling psychological thriller you'll read this year
Watching Edie: The most unsettling psychological thriller you'll read this year
by Camilla Way

5.0 out of 5 stars Read at the weekend!, 30 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I started reading this on a weekday evening which was a mistake and ended up having two very late nights trying to get it finished. This is a page-turner for sure so start on a weekend.

This book follows the lives of two girls who become friends during their teenage years, Heather, the unpopular girl at school befriends the glamorous, popular but slightly left of the centre Edie. Both girls come from dysfunctional families; Edie is the product of a teenage mother who has long since separated from Edie's father and who regrets Edie's birth for ending her fun years. Heather's parents are still together, living miserably in the shadow of a ruined marriage and a dark tragedy. Heather is outcast by both her mother and her peers, whilst Edie finds it difficult to find her place in the world. The two bond and Heather develops a deep, possessive love for Edie. Enter Connor, the stereotypical bad boy who steals Edie's heart and soul. Things go downhill for Edie and Heather from there.

Skip forward a few years, and Edie is living in London and is pregnant. One day, unannounced, Heather makes an unwelcome return.

The book moves between two storylines concerning the girls across two timelines; their teenage years and present day but the two arcs are united by a dark secret. The narrative comes from both Heather (as a teenage girl) and Edie (as a grown woman) but this is done skillfully so the story, and the characters remain consistent across chapters. The characters have enough depth to be realistic, at times the girls show loyalty, trust and love, whilst at other times they reveal rage, anger, jealousy, violence and betrayal. I liked that the book took me along with one theory throughout most of the book only to dump it on its head leaving me shocked and disgusted. The only character that I really didn't like was Connor, obviously, he is a bad guy but he seemed very one dimensional; however, I have given 5 stars because he is not in the narrative too much and a great deal of crafting went into the core characters. I took a punt on this and it definitely paid off. I will look out for more books by Camilla and would love to see this made into a decent film!

Post-it Index Arrows Repositionable W12xH43mm 4 Bright Colours Ref 684ARR4 [Pack of 96]

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite adhesive flags, 29 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this flags and use them all the time in my agenda, reading books, reference books, research papers and to mark out progress and/or key tasks at work. They are repositionable and you can get away with at least 8/9 moves before the adhesive starts to fail. They stick on most surfaces however, if you use filofax paper, you will need to lift these close to the sticky part rather than peeling them off as these tend to stick heavily to that paper and peeling them off like that can cause the paper to ripple. This also goes for those who use Tomoe River Paper - if you lift close to the adhesive you won't get the same effect except for TRP which is exceptionally thin and in my view, doesn't do well with most sticky/adhesive notes. The colours are nice and bright and they are semi-transparent. You will need to experiment with pens if you intend to write on them as these don't take so well to biro/ballpoint which tends to sit on the surface and can smudge. Extra Fine Sharpie is super on these.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20