Profile for Lilly Penhaligon > Reviews

Content by Lilly Penhaligon
Top Reviewer Ranking: 845

Lilly Penhaligon (United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Burt's Bees Nuts About Nature Gift Set
Burt's Bees Nuts About Nature Gift Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gift set, 7 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use all the items included in this gift set anyway so I was happy to see them all corralled in a lovely presentation box. The perfect gift to give to someone and get them started on their Burt's journey! The gift set includes the coconut foot cream (120g), Almond & Milk hand cream (57g) and a coconut and pear lip balm (4.25g). All the scents are complimentary with the foot cream and lip balm having a coconut scent. Now, on the point of coconut smells - if you do not like this scent then the foot cream is not for you. It scents the whole box and you can smell it through the tube even thought the tube comes foil-sealed. Once opened and the cream applied, the coconut is a heady, strong smell and it doesn't (in my experience) dissipate quickly. I find that it also scents my cotton socks which I use once the cream has been applied. The lip is a much subtler scent - it's actually coconut and pear although I think my balm just smells like straight up beeswax.

Coconut Foot Cream
The foot cream is extremely thick, heavily scented and very moisturising. If you have broken skin; however, or you have cracks etc, you may need to treat your feet with appropriate non-scented creams first. This is very emollient so I personally would never put this on in the morning; rather, it is a night-time treat. A little goes a long way and it takes me a long time to get to the end of a tube. This keeps my feet looking great all year round and I would not be without it.

Almond and Milk Hand Cream
The hand cream is very emollient and is scented like almond. I find the smell more natural and gentler than the Almond of the Body Shop and L'Occitane but even so, if you don't like the marzipan/almond smell, this hand cream will not be for you. The cream is very moisturising and once applied, it does leave your hands quite slick. Additionally, the cream comes in a vintage looking jar which I absolutely love; however, it does mean you need to scoop out the cream to use it. To keep the jar hygienic, I use a plastic spatula I once got in a Dior product which I wash after every use. I only use this at night because it does not sink in enough for me to use throughout the day. I love the richness of the cream, the smell and the lovely way it makes my hands feel in the morning. I feel that I use less of my daytime hand cream because my hands are always so fresh and moisturised in the mornings.

Lip Balm
It's not my favourite scent - very light coconut, very heavy on the beeswax and I can't detect any pear at all. But the balm itself is really good, I love the BB's lip balms and use this all day, everyday. I would love if this came with the tinted balm in pink blossom which is my favourite Burt's lip balm but the balm included in this pack is not tinted and a very neutral scent so unlikely to offend anyone.

All in all, this is a great set at a great price considering the price of individual items. As I said, it is a nice way to introduce someone to Burt's Bees products. The items come really well packaged in a lovely firm, cardboard box with plastic window so you can see the products. The box is a nice sunny yellow and, if you are concerned about the packaging and potential waste, the box can be easily repurposed for something else.

Rapesco 720 4-Hole Metal Punch - Pink
Rapesco 720 4-Hole Metal Punch - Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Style, function and quality!, 6 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has got to be the most solid and sturdy hole punch I've ever owned! This lovely soft pastel pink four hole punch is heavy duty in every way; well-constructed, nicely designed and finished (no sharp edges, faded paint etc) and genuinely meant to last a lifetime. The core components are metal which is coated in a pastel pink paint whilst the plastic parts (the measurement slide and confetti trays are in a lovely complimentary grey colour. The overall effect is very pleasing and would easily suit a home office and also be professional enough to use at work. The confetti trays open halfway meaning you can empty the trays of the punched paper without having to fully remove the plastic. The grey measurement slide allows you to punch holes for paper sizes: A4, B5, A5, B6, A6 and the 888 measurement. There is also a line indented in the top of the hole punch so you can find the halfway mark on an A4 sheet easily. If you are crafty, you can pretty much get most paper sizes you want punched using this. You can punch up to 16 sheets without much ado although I generally don't need to do such heavy punching whilst at home.

This hole punch really compliments my desk; it is large yes, but it is so pretty I want to see it and it does have a locking mechanism so you can reduce the outline of the punch making it appear sleeker (you need to unlock to be able to punch).

I also have the matching stapler and document holder in the same pink colour and thoroughly love the quality of all these items. Rapesco definitely got it right with this stationery set!

Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Optimus Prime Figure
Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Optimus Prime Figure

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, easy to convert from robot to truck, 3 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This went down a storm with the little boy we gave it to. I wasn't sure how much leverage a child would get out of it but it hasn't left his hand since he received it, so there's the measure of that. This (to my mind) fairly simple figurine is of Optimus Prime, the leader of the transformers. He can change from his robot figure to his iconic truck in about 9 steps (that the little boy figured out by himself almost straight away) and this gives the toy a bit more dimension and opens up new possibilities for play as I have noticed that our friend's son will sometimes play trucks or sometimes play with this figure as a robot. He has some of the other figures/characters in the collection and loves to make them chase each other in their automobile style and interact as robots. All in all, an unexpected winner and my friend and her little boy are delighted!

Post-it Index Small in Clear Dispenser, 140 Flags - 4 Colours x 35 per Pack
Post-it Index Small in Clear Dispenser, 140 Flags - 4 Colours x 35 per Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite page flags, 3 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are my favourite brand of page flags and post-it notes because frankly, having tried a million other types of post-its from the plain and functional to the fancy, expensive kinds and all the novelty and kawaii ones in between, nothing comes to the quality of post-it. These flags are plastic strips with an opaque clear end and a coloured tab at the other. The sticky part is at the opaque end. These are repositionable and the adhesive is great, unlike the aforementioned other varieties which have extremely poor sticking power. I can get an impressive amount of uses from each flag, and as there are 100+ in every pack, that does justify the price. I use these for work (I'm an academic so read a significant amount), in my agenda for planning and around the home to locate specific pages of catalogues etc. You can write on these with permanent marker - I use an extra fine sharpie but other similar pens will do the trick. The opaque strip is clear enough that you can see the text through it. Lovely colours make for cheerful organisation.

Raoesco Business Card Album - 40 pocket / 80 Card Capacity (Black)
Raoesco Business Card Album - 40 pocket / 80 Card Capacity (Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Super useful organising tool - never lose a card and find the right person for a particular job quickly and easily, 27 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If I could I would give this 4.5 stars as there are a couple of things I would change to make it perfect. Firstly, I would love it if there was a clear sleeve on the front or somewhere that I could use to label the album; secondly, I would love it if it were slightly shorter so that it would fit more compactly on my desk, in drawers and on shelving.

In my line of work, we still deal with business cards despite the advance of the information age; 99% of time this exchange happens in busy, chaotic moments meaning that these invaluable pieces of information end up in the bottom of my handbag, workbag, coat pockets etc never to be found (intact) again. Having had this for only a few days, I already wonder why on earth I didn't purchase this before as now I make sure to put these straight in here meaning that everything I need is in one place and given that the album is pretty huge (tall and narrow) I can't easily lose it. This does take up some pretty large real estate on my desk, definitely in my bag and in my drawers but the benefits largely outweigh this issue and I am sure if I looked, I could find a smaller size.

This fits 80 cards - you can squeeze two per slot, I've tried it but you are putting a lot of pressure on the sleeve which will either stretch or start to split. For me, 80 is more than plenty, I just wanted to know if you could get more in. As I have significantly less than 80 cards relevant at any given time, I find that I can collate business cards under categories and using some post-it flags can quickly identify these sections making it easier to locate people's cards under certain skills or fields for example. Previously, I had to actually find the cards and then shift through looking for the right person for the right job.

The build is basic but solid enough and I think this will hold up well. Price point is reasonable in my view, particularly given it's utility. It's one of those things that you would look at and wonder who would use this outside of the 1980s but when you start to use it wonder why you didn't already own one and start regretting how much easier things could have been if you'd just had this for that huge project last year...

Taf Toys Jungle Pals Thickly Padded Play Gym
Taf Toys Jungle Pals Thickly Padded Play Gym

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely pastels, great padding and a favourite in our family, 27 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of our favourite baby mats, the relatively simple design, the good selection of hanging toys, the lack of harsh sounding electronics and the calming pastel colour scheme are key contributors to this. The padding is also the thickest that I have come across yet; this is really key for us as we have wooden floors throughout and previous play gyms have required the use of a thick rug as their padding has been relatively thin providing little respite from the hard floors. The padding is probably why this is my son's favourite play gym for tummy time (we use a separate pillow with it).

The item was easy to put together and I could do it myself, really important as my husband works long hours so anything that needs construction has to require one person handling. The colour scheme is not as bright as other gyms we have tried in the past; some of which have verged on the lurid. Rather, Taf Toys has gone for gentle, pleasant pastels which have gone over very well with both our own and my sister's babies.
I personally feel that this is a good price point for the item you are getting. I know that this is a very subjective and often contentious topic but as a reviewer, I am just saying that in my opinion, the quality is in keeping with the asking price. All in all, based on our own experience we would recommend this item.

Rapesco Paper Holder/Staple Remover - Pink
Rapesco Paper Holder/Staple Remover - Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic item, 23 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't sure what to expect with this but I have been very pleasantly surprised. This relatively small item takes up very little real estate space on my desk but has come to be one of the most indispensable items on it. It is simple, plastic and considerably lighter than I expected it to be. It is also very small. The colour is a beautiful light pink with grey underside. It is nicely made, smooth and well finished. At first I wished that it didn't have the staple remover at the rear but I have surprisingly found a few occasions where it has come in handy; be careful; however, I used this to try to remove the thick, heavy duty staples from a very thick document and the plastic snapped so I would say stick to removing the standard staples and use a dedicated tool for thicker documents. Alternatively, the staple remover also works really well as a letter opener.

This holds paper, card and cooking recipes very well; even A4 paper sits up straight (make sure you put it in the holder properly otherwise it will flop over).

In my package, I found several of these items so I have one at work, in my home office, on my husband's desk, in the kitchen and have given the rest to my in-laws and parents.

I didn't think there would be so much to say about a paper holder but I absolutely love this item and don't know how I managed before!!

Revlon RVST2415RPUK Raspberry Pie Triple Complex Hair Styler
Revlon RVST2415RPUK Raspberry Pie Triple Complex Hair Styler

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colour, not so great on thick, coarse hair, 14 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These budget range hair straighteners from Revlon would be ideal for teens that want to start into straightening their hair and possibly for people with fine hair. My hair is very thick and coarse and to be honest, even on the highest setting, I would need to do several passes to get hair that is passably straight but which would revert back to curly unruliness by the afternoon. These come with multiple heat settings that you can set manually using the dial. They go from relatively low through to 180, 190 and 200 degrees. The ceramic plates are also suspension loaded so they move about under pressure; possibly then you could use these in some way to create loose curls. The plates are also mango, shea and coconut infused. In all honesty, my plates did not smell even when heated at 200 degrees and did not leave any fragrance on my hair. I didn't notice any extra smoothing or glossiness after using these, so not sure that I can really recommend this feature.

I like the colour and I like that the lead is reasonably long; however, for me, these will not replace my existing pair which handle my coarse, thick hair much more easily and successfully than this Raspberry Pie model. I would say this is a nice gift for teens and for those whose hair is relatively fine.

Burt's Bees Baby Bee Diaper Ointment 85 g
Burt's Bees Baby Bee Diaper Ointment 85 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for 3 generations: baby, adults and older adults. An essential, 6 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This super super super thick cream has proven to be of benefit to all the family. It is very thick, even more so than Sudocreme and can therefore be quite hard to squeeze out of the tube. I have found heating it slightly by keeping it under a hot hair dryer for a few seconds helps considerably. I would not like this to come in a pot as I often throw those out after a while thinking they have been contaminated but I would like a slightly easier way to get the cream out of the tube if possible.

This has been fantastic for the baby, soothing, pleasant smelling (slightly herbal, not overwhelming) and stays on throughout changes unlike some other creams which seem to require frequent application. This product is also much kinder and more natural than Sudocreme which we try to avoid. We have also used it on some rashes and patches of sore skin with great effect.

We have also used this as adults. As keen cyclists we, uh, have found ourselves in need of this after some particularly extended rides in the recent heatwave. Cooling, soothing and repairing.

We have also used this on an elderly relative's legs; she has oedema and fragile skin that is prone to rashes and sores. We have used this to massage her legs nightly and so far, we have seen a great improvement in her skin and have avoided breakouts of rashes and sores.

Although we are using this on 3 generations, it has stood up to the test and worked brilliantly. It has become an essential in our household and, in spite of heavy use, it never seems to go down. Brilliant stuff

Busy B School Year Calendar 2016 / 2017 with Monthly Pocket
Busy B School Year Calendar 2016 / 2017 with Monthly Pocket

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for families with school age children and teenagers, 6 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This would be ideal for a family with school age children/teenagers who have lots of appointments, after-school activities etc that busy parents have to account for in their day. For us, five columns is overkill so we will be using those for random notes/numbers and phone messages. This runs August to August to account for the school year. My preference is for Jan-Dec as that is how I currently plan my year. Each month is well presented if a bit bland and for us, the stickers are not that useful; however, if you have children at school/teenagers these would make a fun addition and would go some way to sprucing up the calendar. Each month has a useful pocket for holding the incredible amount of literature that seems to make it into the house and documents that you may need for upcoming appointments. All in all, it is a good calendar; it's not the most beautiful one out there but at the same time it doesn't overwhelm you with too many illustrations etc.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20