Profile for David O'Connell > Reviews

Content by David O'Connell

David O'Connell "Jasper" (Ireland)

Move 120 cm Length Cotton Hooded Bathrobe, Deep Sea
Move 120 cm Length Cotton Hooded Bathrobe, Deep Sea
Offered by Erwin Müller, Bavarian Home Textile Specialist

5.0 out of 5 stars Snuggly, 18 Jan. 2016
This was bought as a gift, so I have no first-hand experience of it. But my wife adores it, and says it's wonderfully warm & comfortable.

Griffin Survivor Summit Case for iPhone 6/6S - Black/Clear
Griffin Survivor Summit Case for iPhone 6/6S - Black/Clear

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusable, 18 Jan. 2016
I ordered this for my new iPhone 6s, as I have had several Griffin cases over the last few years and I wouldn't be without one now. I have always found them to be well built and tough, and I expected this one to be the same. Unfortunately, I found that the fit was poor. When fully assembled, the screen cover bulged outwards from the screen, making it impossible to access any icons in the centre of the display. As this rendered the phone unusable, I have no choice but to return it for a full refund. It's not possible to give no star reviews, or that's what I would score this case.

As a footnote: when this cover didn't work, I bought the Griffin Survivor, which is the case I've used in the past. That's my fifth one- and it fits perfectly.

Final note- it seems Amazon have included the reviews for ALL Griffin cases in the reviews section. If you're in the market for a case, and reading these reviews, make sure that the review is relevant to the actual case you want to buy! i.e. Check that the review says: Colour: Black/ Clear Style Name: Survivor Summit. Presumably, Amazon are also averaging out the stars amongst ALL the cases, which is- frankly- ridiculous.

Fat Gripz The Ultimate Arm Builder
Fat Gripz The Ultimate Arm Builder

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to your workout equipment, 15 Aug. 2014
I've had these for 6 months now, and I wouldn't go back to lifting without them. As many reviewers have pointed out, the Fat Gripz are split along their entire length and clamp onto a standard 1 inch bar very securely. What I haven't seen written here is that once in place, the Gripz don't close completely: there is a gap of about half an inch. This gap should always be kept uppermost when using them, in case the bar should slip through with the pressure of the weight. You probably will need to drop how much weight you use when you start using these.

I bought these to improve the strength of my grip & my forearms. And it has made a difference. It took a while before I was back up to the weight I was lifting before I bought the Fat Gripz, but now that I am, I'm glad that I bought them. They do add an extra dimension to your workout, and are a great addition to your equipment. I've given them 5 stars- they are a bit pricey, but they are very durable and they're no pricier than another set of weights

SwitchEasy RebelSerpent Plastic Case for iPhone 3G / 3GS - Black
SwitchEasy RebelSerpent Plastic Case for iPhone 3G / 3GS - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 20 Jan. 2010
I bought this iPhone cover after reading a number of review site; iLounge particularly.
When it arrived, I was reasonably impressed with everything that was included: the 2 sections forming the cover, the insert for covering the sync slot opening at the base, 2 screen protectors, a micro-fibre wipe, and a squeegee for applying the screen protector. It also included an insert for speakers, docks, etc, that would accept the slightly enlarged profile of my newly covered iPhone. My only crib with this is that the insert is white and all the docks, etc, I own are black
Fitting the cover was straightforward, but took a little time- the silicone cover goes on easily enough, but the hard plastic is a very snug fit. However, once it's on, the cover has a very low profile and doesn't make the iPhone too bulky. It also affords decent protection: I've dropped mine several times since purchase, and there are still no marks inside the cover, or on the glass surface.
My only other crib with the cover concerns the slimmest section- the part just below the Home button, where there is a cutout for the sync cable: even with the insert installed, I find that the plastic here gets warm in my pocket, and loosens so that it is quite flexible. It's not a problem from a protection point-of-view- it just is a very minor annoyance.

I bought this because I wanted decent protection for my -very expensive- iPhone. It was good value, gives great protection, and looks & feels fantastic. I have recommended it to all the iPhone users I know

The Complete Aquarium (Complete Book)
The Complete Aquarium (Complete Book)
by Peter W. Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars A helpful resource, 19 Feb. 2004
I found this book to be a very helpful resource when I was setting up my aquarium. While it is not the most comprehensive guide ever written on fishkeeping, it is at it's most useful in it's step-by-step guides to establishing different styles of aquaria. It helps you choose suitable fish for differnet set-ups, and what are good companion species. If you feel you need this kind of advice then this is money well spent.

Monkey Do!
Monkey Do!
by Allan Ahlberg

5.0 out of 5 stars A thorough joy, 19 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Monkey Do! (Paperback)
I borrowed this book from my local library, and it became an instant hit with my then 2 year old son. So big a hit, in fact, that I had to extend the loan period while we waited for the hastily placed order to arrive. Almost a year later, and it is still my son's joint favourite story, ranked by him alongside the Gruffalo. A classic; well worth the price.

GC TopDrive Pro 10" Steering Wheel with Pedals
GC TopDrive Pro 10" Steering Wheel with Pedals

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor build quality, 19 Feb. 2004
Everything about this wheel appears to be great. However, within 24 hours of receiving it, the 'A' button became erratic, only working occassionally. Amazon very promptly replaced it (faultless performance from them thus far). But the fun did not end there: the replacement has repeated the exact same fault but has added to it- the 'B' button has stopped functioning completely. Amazon have been notified, and I don't expect any problems from them. But DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS WHEEL! One faulty one is tolerable; Two is a design problem.

The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz
The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz
by L. Frank Baum

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most beautiful book I've ever bought, 13 Dec. 2003
I bought this book as a Christmas present for my 5- and 3-year olds. I read the reviews and thought it sounded good. I was confident it would be a nice book for them to explore a story I read and loved as a child.
Nothing I read here prepared me for the beauty it; when the parcel arrived from Amazon, I sat in amazement with this work of art, and completely lost track of time. The imagination used, not just for the illustrations but also for the way the story is told in little booklets, makes each turn of the page a delight. I cannot believe how much I underestimated the beauty of this book: when I showed it to my friends, they thought, without exception, that it must have cost at least £40.
One word of caution: I bought this for a 5-year old, but she isn't able to contain her excitement sufficiently to open and close the pages without damaging the pop-ups. It will have to be put aside until she's a little older and more capable of restraint.
If you're wavering, thinking of buying this book- DON'T! Buy it now, and keep it for years of pleasure to come.

HTML Pocket Reference (Nutshell Handbook)
HTML Pocket Reference (Nutshell Handbook)
by Jennifer Niederst Robbins

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable reference book, 25 Aug. 2000
On the cover it says "An Indispensiable Guide", and that's precisely what it is. Extensive coverage of all tags, but laid out wonderfully so you can get information quickly. If you prefer to handcode, you have to have this.

JavaScript Pocket Reference
JavaScript Pocket Reference
by David Flanagan

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivers exactly what it says on the cover, 25 Aug. 2000
This boook calls itself a 'pocket reference', and that's exactly what it is; if you need a guide to explain how you can use JavaScript, then look elsewhere. But if you want a book where you can look up a tag quickly, then this is a great one to have to hand - but you will need to know what you're doing to get the most from it.