Profile for Phillysound2 > Reviews

Content by Phillysound2

Phillysound2 "a common reader" (London)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
George V (Penguin Monarchs): The Unexpected King
George V (Penguin Monarchs): The Unexpected King
by David Cannadine

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book on King George V, 3 Sept. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent summary of the life of George V including enough of the historic background to give a good sense of the kind of King he was. He was a good King although very poorly educated and he was a very strict and unloving father whose heir, Edward VIII, would abdicate to be able to marry the twice divorced Wallis Simpson. Despite this reputational damage the monarchy was able to rally. This was, in part, due to George V's strengthening of the monarchy against a back drop of challenges that came in the wake of WW1 which, of course, had wiped out royalty in much of Europe. From George V's perspective the challenges came, not from his eldest son who helped to strengthen the popularity of the Royals before he abdicated, but in the forms of the universal vote, the threat of Communism and an independence hungry British Empire. George V's modernised version of the monarchy with its outreach to the public, the public pageantry, Royal weddings and Christmas speeches remains with us today. I very much enjoyed this good looking and well written little book which I read for background to the inter-war years. At the back you'll find notes (all the references) an index and a section on further reading. Warmly recommended.

DEWALT DCD996P2-GB 18 V 3 Speed Cordless XR Brushless Combi Drill with 2 x 5 A Batteries in TSTAK - Yellow/Black
Offered by Powertoolmate

5.0 out of 5 stars This fantastic drill is the best, 16 May 2017
Fantastic drill. The three gears make everything easy and I found I didn't have to use brute force. The lights are good too because they really spotlight your work. All in all it's the best drill I've ever owned.

Loving [digital download] [DVD] [2017]
Loving [digital download] [DVD] [2017]
Dvd ~ Ruth Negga

3.0 out of 5 stars Good looking film that lacks pace and should have been better, 5 Mar. 2017
Very good looking film with high production values that is, unfortunately, like watching paint dry. The pace was too slow and the key characters too muted (this is down to the director) to keep my attention. The script is weak and does not do the important subject matter proper justice. 'Loving' has however prompted me to purchase (not received yet) the related HBO documentary that partly inspired the film. From the clips of this documentary that I found on the web the real life Loving couple were much more engaging and the crucial landmark Supreme Court case much more central to their story.

Ruth Negga did make an impression and I look forward to seeing her in future films.

Verbatim 52609 LED MR16 GU5.3 5.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb
Verbatim 52609 LED MR16 GU5.3 5.5 Watt 350 lm Light Bulb
Offered by Electroholic Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little bulb that should save me money over the years, 27 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nice warm white bulb by Verbatim. As with all quality branded bulbs the proof of excellence lies in its longevity which will be tested over the next few years. I have now installed Philips, LG and Verbatim LED bulbs in my new flat all around the same time. As soon as one of these bulbs blows I'll be back but, for now, all the bulbs seem evenly matched and I assume that over the next few years I will be saving money with this bulb because of Verbatim's quality control that assures the bulb's long term efficiency otherwise the cost would be prohibitive (although I got this one free so it's a no brainer that I've got a good bargain). I'm expecting it to be great and a five star bulb but I'm hedging my bets by one star. Time will tell the truth and I'll update this review when I know more.

LG P0427G30N11 GU10 4 Watt LED, 230 Lumens, 15 Year life time, Energy-Saving Bulbs, Warm White, 5 Year Warranty, Ideal for the home, 1 Bulb per Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine LED bulbs, 2 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm replacing all my non brand LED lights with reliable branded ones. I prefer Philips and have been lucky enough to get some of those through the Vine scheme. The LG bulbs were on recent offer through Vine so I thought I would give them a go. That is to say that the LG brand is now tried and tested (I've owned a few of the company's products) and I believe these bulbs will do what LG say they will and last a long time. They give off a nice soft light and look as good and as robust as the Philips bulbs I have used before - maybe they all come from the same factory! I will post again if there are any problems but, for now, these bulbs look like value for money.

Philips 2700K Low Energy GU10 LED Spot Bulbs, 3.5 W - Warm White, Pack of 2
Philips 2700K Low Energy GU10 LED Spot Bulbs, 3.5 W - Warm White, Pack of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reliable LED bulb, 27 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've just moved to a new flat and have replaced the no brand LED bulbs with Philips bulbs. I want LED bulbs that really do what they say on the box ie last a long time and save energy. Philips are an excellent long established brand and so it's a no brainer that I chose these - I know I can rely on these bulbs (and if anything goes wrong I will update this review!). The Philips 4 watt bulbs give off a lovely light in my kitchen. Job done!

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little box, 9 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
Like a few others here, I think this little black box does it's job so well it easily supercedes my Apple TV (apart from Apple's mirroring facility) and provides a good alternative to Netflix too. Unlike Apple TV you get BBCi via a free app. It all works really well and as I'm a Prime customer I get some good quality freebies too. For instance, we've just watched and enjoyed the couple if Nurse Jackie seasons we hadn't seen. I'm also looking forward to trying the new pay view Curzon cinema app. The hand set is just right too. All in all a good deal as long as the Prime view selection stays fresh.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2014 10:24 PM GMT

First World War for Dummies
First World War for Dummies
by Seán Lang

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introductory book on the First World War, 26 Sept. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent book written for a Dummy audience so it's easy to understand. It is very comprehensive and up to date and it does not just focus on the military aspects but has a good section on "Home Fronts'. I saw this is on sale at the British War Museum when I visited recently and I think that says a lot in its favour including that, in my opinion, it's mainly from a British and Western powers perspective and so, for instance, it under emphasises (again, in my opinion) the effect of the economic blockade on Germany. But then this book serves as a good easy to read and understand introduction and there are lots of other books out there if you want to find out more.

Forgotten Men [DVD]
Forgotten Men [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, eye opening, harrowing, 26 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Forgotten Men [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I watched this film a couple of months ago. I don't think I'll ever forget it. It was made in the early 1930s and it includes some WW1 veterans including a Belgian and a German and a British officer who can remember many wars back to the late 1800s. These are the 'forgotten men'.

When the German is asked about the war he says that what really affected him was the blockade and what it did to his family and other Germans. This made me realise that economic warfare was just as important as the fighting and my reading confirms this. There is footage of a German battleship sinking and all the sailors jumping off to their deaths by drowning as the western allies are driven off by the sight of a German zeppelin. The footage also captures the moment of death of several soldiers as they are cut down by bullets; they fall forward dead; I found this terrible to watch. And, then there is the mud and another soldier writhing in pain as he dies and other soldiers running across the battlefield just behind the missiles fired by their artillery. Some of the aerial footage looked artificial to me but overall I would strongly recommend this DVD.

I've since been to visit the WW1 rooms at the Imperial War Museum and I'm reading up on the the First World War. If you're doing much the same thing then this is a DVD is full of treasure that you'll find very useful.

The Gro Company Grolight 2-in-1 Night Light Bayonet Fitting
The Gro Company Grolight 2-in-1 Night Light Bayonet Fitting

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea for a night light, 27 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this because I thought it was a great idea. I wanted the Gro-light for my hallway which gets very dark at night. However, it was only after I received the Gro-light that I found that all my lamps are now screw sockets. All the adapters I've ordered for the Gro-light have had the wrong screw thread. I can't afford to spend more money on trying to get this great idea up and running so it's currently in a drawer waiting for the next bayonet fitted lamp to be bought into the house. Given that I've modernised most of my lighting that day might be far off.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11