Profile for C. Wright > Reviews

Content by C. Wright

C. Wright "combat_claire" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Anatomy of a Soldier
Anatomy of a Soldier
by Harry Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Reduced me to Tears, 8 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Anatomy of a Soldier (Paperback)
This is the first book in many years that has reduced me to tears. It is beautifully written from the perspective of 46 items that have their part to play in the story of Captain Tom Barnes.

This book will become the defining piece of fiction about modern conflict. It is so far away from the concept of a war story that it is essential reading for anyone whether they supported intervention in Afghanistan or not.

I very much hope this is not the last book that Mr Parker pens.

The Rector of Pepynbridge
The Rector of Pepynbridge
by Peter Morrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Tackling Difficult Topics, 3 Feb. 2017
Peter Morrell does not shy away from confronting difficult topics within his writing. The Rector of Pepynbridge raises questions of how quickly we come to judge others based on what we read in the press. Peter draws on his experience as a lawyer, judge and priest to write a skilled tale exposing the darker side to rural villages. Can't wait to start the next instalment.

Disclaimer
Disclaimer
by Renée Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Who do you believe???, 26 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Disclaimer (Paperback)
This story whilst not very lengthy still makes for a satisfying read. The novel begins with one of the protagonists opening a new book; a book that soon threatens to spill her darkest secret to the world. Who is her tormentor and why are they trying to cause her life to unravel??

This plot has more twists than a Welsh mountain road until you no longer know who's version of events to believe. A must read for fans of psychological thrillers such as Gone Girl or When You Go To Sleep.

I am already looking forward to more from this talented author.

Fire TV Stick | Streaming Media Player (Previous generation)
Fire TV Stick | Streaming Media Player (Previous generation)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 4 Aug. 2015
So easy to set up and has revolutionised my television, movie and music consumption. Highly recommended.

Head of State: The Bestselling Brexit Thriller
Head of State: The Bestselling Brexit Thriller
by Andrew Marr

1.0 out of 5 stars One to Avoid at All Costs, 13 July 2015
I was really looking forward to getting stuck into this book; it was billed as an exciting political thriller and with such a renowned political correspondent in charge of the story I thought I couldn't lose.

The first chapter started off really well and I was anticipating a tightly woven plot. Frankly the story line was preposterous, the plot farcical and the characters entirely two dimensional. If it was intended to be a farce then it simply wasn't witty or humourous enough to cut it. I have never been so pleased to get to the end of the novel with its totally ridiculous conclusion. Not to mention the terrible pun in the title of this book.

I will be steering clear of anything written by Mr Marr in future. This copy is going straight to the charity shop!

Prison Diaries
Prison Diaries
by Denis MacShane

4.0 out of 5 stars The Underbelly of Prison Life, 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Prison Diaries (Hardcover)
I freely admit that when the expenses scandal broke I was very much of the mind that all the miscreants should be firmly punished. This book by Denis Macshane has gone some way towards tempering that opinion. MacShane provides an honest and brutal account of his days behind bars starting from the moment he was taken from the Old Bailey until the day he left HMP Brixton.

I purchased this book after seeing a friend remanded in custody. I genuinely wanted to understand what he is currently going through in the prison system of 2014. Macshane's writing explains exactly what goes on behind bars from the maddening bureaucracy to difficulties in obtaining basic education classes and exercise; the monotony of bang up and the insanity of banning books being sent to serving prisoners. It has left me seriously questioning the state of Britain's prisons and the missed opportunity of changing lives for the better.

There is an inevitable amount of 'woe is me' peppered throughout the book, but this is more than outweighed by the fascinating insight into the justice system written by one who has experienced the sharp end. Highly recommended for those who have a loved one behind bars or who just have a casual interest in the prison system.

Farthing (Small Change)
Farthing (Small Change)
by Jo Walton

1.0 out of 5 stars A Massive Disappointment, 12 April 2014
This book had rave reviews in The Guardian so I decided to treat myself to a copy. Frankly I wish I hadn't bothered. The characters are ghastly, the plot is dull and there are some quite frankly preposterous elements to the story that make it totally unbelievable. There are bizarre references to homosexuality, which takes the average reader a while to fathom what the author is driving at by describing key characters as Athenian. The chapters detailing the criminal investigation are pure tedium.

This book was a real struggle to reach the end of and I am afraid that the moment I did it went straight in the charity bag (sorry about that charity shop bookworms!). This is an absolute stinker of a book that is to be avoided at all costs. There are far better examples of the 'what if the Nazis came to power' genre than this and readers looking for a novel dealing with this subject would do better to buy something by Robert Harris or CJ Sansom.

Precious Thing
Precious Thing
by Colette McBeth

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing & Disjointed, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Precious Thing (Hardcover)
I settled down on the sofa and opened this book with great anticipation. It had been billed as the next 'Gone Girl' but in fact turned out to be a watered down version of a similar story line that barely kept my attention. The letter format of the book hops about from year to year making the story seem disjointed. None of the characters are particularly likeable and I found that I was skipping chunks of the story in order to reach the end. Completely over-hyped in reviews; sadly one to avoid.

The Hive
The Hive
by Gill Hornby

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull Beyond Belief, 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Hive (Hardcover)
I started this book looking forward to a light and easy weekend novel. Unfortunately the plot such as there is was as dull as ditch water. I couldn't bring myself to care about any of the two dimensional characters that populate the book. I persevered in the belief that something was going to happen yet I am now at page 300 of 304 and nothing of any interest has occurred.

Don't waste valuable space in your holiday luggage this summer with this terrible book.

Ultimatum: (Tina Boyd 6)
Ultimatum: (Tina Boyd 6)
by Simon Kernick

1.0 out of 5 stars Preposterous Nonsense, 7 May 2013
I settled down to read this book with great anticipation having seen rave reviews in the literary supplements. The book was a huge disappointment with a preposterous plot line and massive coincidences which see the protagonists succeed in identifying the terrorist target and survive otherwise life threatening injuries. The storyline did not seem believable to me and this totally ruined my enjoyment of the novel even as a trashy thriller.

There are much better thriller writers in the UK today and I would recommend anyone considering purchasing this book to think twice.

Page: 1 | 2