Profile for Pb > Reviews

Content by Pb

Pb

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
CAT Footwear Collateral Hiker, Men High Rise Hiking Shoes, Brown (Guacho), 9 UK (43 EU)
Price: Click here to see our price

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap - and it shows, 10 Mar. 2015
If you want wet feet every time you go for a walk in even light drizzle then buy these boots.

They let in water from day one, at first just a little dampness oozing through the material but this soon became real rivulets of water pouring through all the seams. The join between the leather strip around the base and the non-leather uppers is totally porous.

This isn't the only sign of cheap manufacture unfortunately; the soles are thin - you feel every bump; the interior of the boot has rough sections which rub on your ankles and the metal clip things which hold your laces are both sharp and flimsy, bending under the slightest pressure - don't try tying your laces too tight!

After two months of light wear there are already holes appearing where the uppers are separating from the sole.

I paid £45 in a lightning deal, these boots aren't worth half that.

I've had cheap boots before so don't think I'm expecting too much (I work outdoors and generally wear cheap leather hi-tecs which easily give you a year of wear for £40 odd). I didn't risk wearing these boots to work, after they leaked while out walking the dog!

These might be fine for the odd trip out with the dog on a flat dry path, but other than that? Forget it.

Sent them back for a refund - usual excellent service from Amazon in this regard.

LEGO Star Wars 75050: B-Wing
LEGO Star Wars 75050: B-Wing
Offered by a1 Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Iconic ship - inflated price, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars 75050: B-Wing (Toy)
This is a really nice set, it's good looking, iconic, and very sturdy. Build time was about an hour or so, it's a very easy build, no really complicated sections. A few stickers, but none which are very difficult to apply correctly. If I was not picking I'd say that it would be nice to have some sort of system to make the cockpit auto-rotate with the 'wing' - perhaps just some extra weight in the cockpit floor? It might be possible to jury rig something yourself along those lines.
Slightly odd selection of minifigs but they're all excellent, especially the b-wing pilot. I might have preferred a rebel ground crew engineer instead of Ten Numb.

Only 4 stars as I do think the rrp of £49.99 is very expensive for such a simple build with relatively few pieces. If you can get it cheaper (I managed to pick it up for £25) then it's a good buy and you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Surviving The Evacuation, Book 1: London
Surviving The Evacuation, Book 1: London

3.0 out of 5 stars good book, not sure about the sequel, 23 Dec. 2014
Really enjoyable, very fast paced and exciting. I enjoyed the British setting and the writing style. The action scenes are frenetic and keep you on the edge of your seat, turning pages and reading into the wee small hours (though not far into them, it is also a really short book).

My only caveat is that I've read the next installment in the series and it is not of the same quality as this one, to the extent that I really can't see me reading any more books in the series. The book as a standalone is probably worth 4 stars, but the fact that it leads me into a series that isn't worth reading takes away from it somewhat for me.

Surviving The Evacuation, Book 2: Wasteland
Surviving The Evacuation, Book 2: Wasteland

3.0 out of 5 stars good start, weak finish, 22 Dec. 2014
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, I'm a bit of a newcomer to zombie fiction so I can't say if it's really clichéd or generic, but I liked the British setting and the relatively low levels of gore. This book is pretty much more of the same - and that's perhaps part of the problem.

It's a really short book, I read the whole thing in a single sitting, the action is fast paced and exciting, but by the end it's all feeling a bit 'samey'. The author clearly realises this and does try to compensate by upping the gore level slightly, adding more characters and fleshing out the back story - but for me none of that really works.

The decision to frame the book around journal entries means the ability to add new character view points is limited - the author's solution is to have other characters write in the journal too, but this just feels really forced everytime it happens.

The attempt to flesh out the back story leads to a couple of huge infodumps - I'd rather the story was a bit longer and the information came out slower. It also leads to a frankly ludicrous end section which comes across as a scene out of a really bad soap opera. This appears to be setting up the plot for future stories - and frankly it's so stupid and unbelievable (and I'm aware I'm talking about believability in a zombie novel!) That I can't see me reading any more.

Its a decent effort, and 2\3rds of it is worth reading but I don't trust the author enough to spend my time reading any more.

Amity Island Jaws T-Shirt X Large
Amity Island Jaws T-Shirt X Large
Offered by Postees

4.0 out of 5 stars Sizing is a little strange, 11 April 2014
Having previously ordered a tshirt from this company which was a little snug I purposely ordered a size larger this time, going for an XL rather than an L. Unfortunately I'd say that even with a size larger its still a little snug! Maybe I'm putting weight on - though the scales say I haven't!

The neck especially is very tight, almost to the stage where I couldn't get my head through - this wasn't a problem with the previous (smaller) t-shirt I got from this company so its a little strange.

Quality wise it feels like a good quality t-shirt, the printing is very clear. There is a small brown mark just below the printed section which looks odd... I can't decide if its meant to be there or not! it does look like an error though.

It's just gone in the wash for the first time, if anything goes wrong with it at that stage I'll post an update but I don't expect it to.

Friends on that Death Star Funny Star Wars Inspired T-Shirt
Friends on that Death Star Funny Star Wars Inspired T-Shirt
Offered by Postees

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely design but maybe a bit snug, 27 Feb. 2014
Love the design, quality feels decent too - certainly considering the price! I haven't washed it yet, I'll post an update if it all goes horribly wrong at that stage.

Only caveat is that it is a bit snug on the sizing side, I normally wear a large but having tried it on I think I'd be better with an XL. Maybe think about ordering a size bigger than normal.

Old Skye Tales: Traditions, Reflections and Memories
Old Skye Tales: Traditions, Reflections and Memories
by William Mackenzie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a little frustrating, 27 Feb. 2014
This is an interesting book but it has to be said that it can be very frustrating at times.

It helps I think if you imagine yourself sat at a fireplace listening to an old man or woman tell you stories they (half) remember from their childhood. Not a professional storyteller or writer, just someone idly passing on their recollections. Sometimes, in the right circumstances, this can be a fun way to pass the time, at others it can be a little boring!

The book is very specific to Skye, if you're looking for Scottish folk tales, or even fairy stories I'd maybe look elsewhere. this is a very human book, it's about the people and places of Skye, the important families, notorious individuals, specific buildings and landmarks. I have to say that for someone who isn't rooted in Skye's history a lot of it went over my head.
Again it's like listening to an acquaintance tell a story about someone they know but you don't, often with only vague background details - eventually it gets a little boring.

One sad thing the book throws up to me is the loss of traditional stories and storytellers. Many of the tales in here are very fragmentary, you can tell there was a deeper core to the story originally but the details have all been lost in the mists of time and all that's left is the outline.

For example, one story listed in the superstitions section goes like this:

"Taibhsearachd (second sight) is still firmly believed in. I knew an old man who was said to have this. It was believed he had witnessed some terrible scene. True it was that nothing could tempt him to go outside in the darkness."

That's it. That's the whole story - or at least it's all the story you're given. Clearly there was more to this once upon a time, this is more like an introduction to the real story, but the details are gone now.

Most of the stories aren't all that old - or at least not on the face of it. They're mostly rooted from a Christian point of view, there's lots about churches and ministers. You get a sense sometime that there's an older story underneath that has been redecorated with Christian trappings but these glimpses are tantalising and ultimately unsatisfying. Whatever good the coming of Christianity to the Island did, one undoubted bad is that it played its part in destroying and covering over the old folk traditions.

Another slight niggle is that Gaelic words and phrases are often thrown into the narrative - this is a good thing it gives a lot of flavour to the story - but they're often not translated into English for the general reader.

I bought this while on holiday on Skye and enjoyed reading little snippets about the places we were going and the things we'd seen but I've found it impossible to sit and read the book cover to cover, as a non native of the island it just can't hold my interest.

I'm glad this book was made, I'm glad someone recorded these stories before they were lost completely but the sum of the book makes me more sad for the passing of the story telling tradition than anything else.

LEGO Star Wars 75035: Kashyyyk Troopers
LEGO Star Wars 75035: Kashyyyk Troopers

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but could be better, 16 Feb. 2014
First off, price is pretty good - I've seen the set for £10 and £2.50 a minifig (as an adult collector I'm only really interested in the minifigs in these little sets!) is pretty good considering it includes the Star Wars premium.

The little hover speeder thing is actually pretty cool too, I like the fan at the back. Could maybe do with a little more detail but I've seen worse. You have to mount two of the minifigs handheld blasters on it if you want it to be armed which is a bit rubbish.

I don't like the new 'firing' blasters very much (I collect star wars lego mainly to photograph it and they don't really work for that) but I suspect kids who buy the set for play purposes will love them. They really do fire very well, it's a very clever design. I think I'd have preferred only getting two of the new blasters and maybe one or two custom 'heavy' weapon designs to go with them.

As to the minifigs themselves I find them a mixed bag, and that's the main reason for the 3 star review. The two figs with the movie style clone trooper helmets are pretty cool, I like the camouflage design on the bodies of all four troopers and it's nice to see printed legs making a comeback.

I really don't like the two troopers with the 'scout trooper' type helmets though. The helmets look out of scale, being a little over sized and this is really accentuated by the too small blue eye/visor slits. To be honest they just look a bit stupid.

LEGO Star Wars 75034: Death Star Troopers
LEGO Star Wars 75034: Death Star Troopers

5.0 out of 5 stars Death star troopers, 16 Feb. 2014
The two black death star troopers are fantastic, I have the lego Death Star 10188 set and these fit really well with that. The two red imperial guard are almost exactly the same as those found in the 10188 set (these new ones have a two tone cloak with a darker red side and have darker red arms compared to the 10188 set) but its no harm having a couple more (and this is certainly a cheaper way to get them!)

The cannon is good, might have been nice to have a rotating section on the bottom so you could traverse it but other than that it's fine (and you can juryrig a rotating section if you really want), quite detailed too for such a small build.

I must admit, as someone who collects star wars minifigs mainly so I can photograph them, I'm not a big fan of the new style 'firing' blasters. They don't look like anything from the movies! But then who doesn't have a huge collection of the 'realistic' type blasters by now? Kids who buy this set for play purposes will get a lot of fun out of them I suspect - they really do fire very well!

The Imperial guard 'force pikes' are a bit rubbish, just a grey stick in a black lightsaber handle. But then the ones in the 10188 set are just black standard spears so they're no worse than that.

Price is decent (considering you have to pay the star wars premium), I've seen the set for £10 and £2.50 a minifig - let's face it I only really want the minfigs! - isn't too bad.

Silent Fields: The long decline of a nation's wildlife
Silent Fields: The long decline of a nation's wildlife
by Roger Lovegrove

5.0 out of 5 stars An exhaustive account of our historical nation's relationship to wildlife, 15 Feb. 2014
An utterly brilliant book resulting from some superb and thorough historical research.

There are no two ways about it, this book will open your eyes on Britain's changing relationship with the wild landscape throughout the ages.

The book is arranged by species and attempts to give the history of our attitudes towards each. Here you'll learn that the Red Kite was once protected by Royal decree due to it's ability to keep the city streets clean of refuse (in 1465 it was a capital offence to kill a kite); then was persecuted to the brink of extinction; before the battle began to change attitudes and begin it's restoration to it's former range in the 21st century.

Throughout the author will support his statements via data gleaned from original documents - the text of laws and decrees, newspaper articles, lists of destroyed 'vermin' numbers kept in gamebooks and parish records (and the bounty prices paid - 1 penny for a kite in 1566) and intersperse this with the reasonings given for each change in attitude.

The book is arranged by species but the comprehensive index allows you to search by geographical area. The whole country is covered but there is perhaps more detail given for England and Wales due to the greater number of surviving records.

Beyond the horrific toll of slaughter given in the vermin lists I also found the book fascinating in it's revelations about historical attitudes and beliefs. The author points out that before electric light it was very difficult for people to really know what was going on in the dark beyond their homes. Hence the historical slaughter of hedgehogs (2d per head in 1566, twice the price of a wildcat!) because they were often seen in cattle pastures in the morning and it was believed therefore that they stole milk from cows in the night.

Likewise dippers were killed as they were believed to be female kingfishers and had taste for salmon. Choughs were hunted as their red beaks were 'stained with lambs blood' and they deliberately started fires in thatch (hence the scientific name pyhrrocorax, the fire crow)

I will never again believe anyone who talks of the wisdom of the ancients and how our ancestors were closer to nature!

Recommended to anyone with an interest in nature and Human relationships with the natural world.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4