Profile for Pb > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Last Survivors: A Dystopian Society in a Post Apocalyptic World
The Last Survivors: A Dystopian Society in a Post Apocalyptic World

2.0 out of 5 stars a typical indie novel, 19 Jun. 2015
I keep buying indie authored books (although to be fair this one was free) in the hope that I'll find a good one... I haven't yet.

This attempt is actually better than most, its your standard zombie story but its got a couple of new twists on the genre and the story itself hangs together OK. By indie standards this is pretty much gold!

Where it falls apart for me is in the quality and style of writing. The dialogue is pretty awful - real people just don't speak like they do in this book!
The prose is stilted and repetitive and the pacing is all over the place - all things an editor could really help with. For some people this won't matter, as long as the story is good and the ideas are fresh(ish) they don't care about the actual writing. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people. I made it to the end but even although it ends on a cliffhanger, and even though I'm intrigued as to what happens next I'm not prepared to buy the next installment to sift through the writing and find out.

I also think you can pretty clearly see the joins between the two different authors work - and see that they both have slightly different ideas about their characters. The same characters seem to behave differently and have different and conflicting motivations and personalities at various different points in the boo, I can only suppose this is due to the different two authors.

If you like zombie books and all you're after is bubblegum for the eyes then its probably worth trying this (certainly while its free). If not I'd steer clear

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Case - ALLIGATOR Heavy Duty Back Cover for Sony Xperia Z3 Compact, Lime Green
Offered by Purplemoose007

2.0 out of 5 stars flawed, 28 April 2015
I think the colour in the photo is a bit deceptive, the lime green is more like a bright yellow to my eyes.
It feels robust enough, probably will provide a decent level of protection while it's on.
Thats the drawback though, you can't leave it on the phone. Although it does have a cutout for the Sony charging dock it does NOT have a cutout in the case to allow access to the USB charging port. For me this makes it useless as I don't like the charging dock and so have to take the phone out of the case every night for charging. It also means you can't use the phone with a car charger.
In addition to the charging problem I've also found it really difficult to use headphones - there is a cut-out for the headphones but it's too small, head phone jacks don't quite fi. You can get a connection but it's really unstable, don't expect to use it on the move.

TECHGEAR® Sony Xperia Z3 Compact GLASS Edition Genuine Tempered Glass Screen Protector Guard Cover (Models: D5803, D5833)
Offered by TECHGEAR Solutions

2.0 out of 5 stars too fragile, 28 April 2015
Fast delivery and very easy to put on - probably the easiest application of a screen protector I've had. On the downside however it's only been on the phone for a day and it's already cracked and has a big chip in it after an afternoon sitting in a meeting with my phone in my pocket - really not impressed with its durability.

UPDATE

two months later and I've had to take it off. Several large cracks and chips both on the face and one the edges of the protector, this on a phone that pretty much just sits in my pocket or on my desk all day. Eventually the touch screen stopped working properly through it so I had to take it off (plus it just looked awful).

On the plus side it came off really easily, no residue or anything left behind.

Wouldn't buy again.

CAT Footwear Collateral Hiker, Men High Rise Hiking Shoes, Brown (Guacho), 9 UK (43 EU)
Price: Click here to see our price

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap - and it shows, 10 Mar. 2015
If you want wet feet every time you go for a walk in even light drizzle then buy these boots.

They let in water from day one, at first just a little dampness oozing through the material but this soon became real rivulets of water pouring through all the seams. The join between the leather strip around the base and the non-leather uppers is totally porous.

This isn't the only sign of cheap manufacture unfortunately; the soles are thin - you feel every bump; the interior of the boot has rough sections which rub on your ankles and the metal clip things which hold your laces are both sharp and flimsy, bending under the slightest pressure - don't try tying your laces too tight!

After two months of light wear there are already holes appearing where the uppers are separating from the sole.

I paid £45 in a lightning deal, these boots aren't worth half that.

I've had cheap boots before so don't think I'm expecting too much (I work outdoors and generally wear cheap leather hi-tecs which easily give you a year of wear for £40 odd). I didn't risk wearing these boots to work, after they leaked while out walking the dog!

These might be fine for the odd trip out with the dog on a flat dry path, but other than that? Forget it.

Sent them back for a refund - usual excellent service from Amazon in this regard.

LEGO Star Wars 75050: B-Wing
LEGO Star Wars 75050: B-Wing

4.0 out of 5 stars Iconic ship - inflated price, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars 75050: B-Wing (Toy)
This is a really nice set, it's good looking, iconic, and very sturdy. Build time was about an hour or so, it's a very easy build, no really complicated sections. A few stickers, but none which are very difficult to apply correctly. If I was not picking I'd say that it would be nice to have some sort of system to make the cockpit auto-rotate with the 'wing' - perhaps just some extra weight in the cockpit floor? It might be possible to jury rig something yourself along those lines.
Slightly odd selection of minifigs but they're all excellent, especially the b-wing pilot. I might have preferred a rebel ground crew engineer instead of Ten Numb.

Only 4 stars as I do think the rrp of £49.99 is very expensive for such a simple build with relatively few pieces. If you can get it cheaper (I managed to pick it up for £25) then it's a good buy and you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Surviving The Evacuation, Book 1: London
Surviving The Evacuation, Book 1: London

3.0 out of 5 stars good book, not sure about the sequel, 23 Dec. 2014
Really enjoyable, very fast paced and exciting. I enjoyed the British setting and the writing style. The action scenes are frenetic and keep you on the edge of your seat, turning pages and reading into the wee small hours (though not far into them, it is also a really short book).

My only caveat is that I've read the next installment in the series and it is not of the same quality as this one, to the extent that I really can't see me reading any more books in the series. The book as a standalone is probably worth 4 stars, but the fact that it leads me into a series that isn't worth reading takes away from it somewhat for me.

Surviving The Evacuation, Book 2: Wasteland
Surviving The Evacuation, Book 2: Wasteland

3.0 out of 5 stars good start, weak finish, 22 Dec. 2014
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, I'm a bit of a newcomer to zombie fiction so I can't say if it's really clichéd or generic, but I liked the British setting and the relatively low levels of gore. This book is pretty much more of the same - and that's perhaps part of the problem.

It's a really short book, I read the whole thing in a single sitting, the action is fast paced and exciting, but by the end it's all feeling a bit 'samey'. The author clearly realises this and does try to compensate by upping the gore level slightly, adding more characters and fleshing out the back story - but for me none of that really works.

The decision to frame the book around journal entries means the ability to add new character view points is limited - the author's solution is to have other characters write in the journal too, but this just feels really forced everytime it happens.

The attempt to flesh out the back story leads to a couple of huge infodumps - I'd rather the story was a bit longer and the information came out slower. It also leads to a frankly ludicrous end section which comes across as a scene out of a really bad soap opera. This appears to be setting up the plot for future stories - and frankly it's so stupid and unbelievable (and I'm aware I'm talking about believability in a zombie novel!) That I can't see me reading any more.

Its a decent effort, and 2\3rds of it is worth reading but I don't trust the author enough to spend my time reading any more.

Amity Island Jaws T-Shirt X Large
Amity Island Jaws T-Shirt X Large
Offered by Postees

4.0 out of 5 stars Sizing is a little strange, 11 April 2014
Having previously ordered a tshirt from this company which was a little snug I purposely ordered a size larger this time, going for an XL rather than an L. Unfortunately I'd say that even with a size larger its still a little snug! Maybe I'm putting weight on - though the scales say I haven't!

The neck especially is very tight, almost to the stage where I couldn't get my head through - this wasn't a problem with the previous (smaller) t-shirt I got from this company so its a little strange.

Quality wise it feels like a good quality t-shirt, the printing is very clear. There is a small brown mark just below the printed section which looks odd... I can't decide if its meant to be there or not! it does look like an error though.

It's just gone in the wash for the first time, if anything goes wrong with it at that stage I'll post an update but I don't expect it to.

Friends on that Death Star Funny Star Wars Inspired T-Shirt
Friends on that Death Star Funny Star Wars Inspired T-Shirt
Offered by Postees

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely design but maybe a bit snug, 27 Feb. 2014
Love the design, quality feels decent too - certainly considering the price! I haven't washed it yet, I'll post an update if it all goes horribly wrong at that stage.

Only caveat is that it is a bit snug on the sizing side, I normally wear a large but having tried it on I think I'd be better with an XL. Maybe think about ordering a size bigger than normal.

Old Skye Tales: Traditions, Reflections and Memories
Old Skye Tales: Traditions, Reflections and Memories
by William Mackenzie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a little frustrating, 27 Feb. 2014
This is an interesting book but it has to be said that it can be very frustrating at times.

It helps I think if you imagine yourself sat at a fireplace listening to an old man or woman tell you stories they (half) remember from their childhood. Not a professional storyteller or writer, just someone idly passing on their recollections. Sometimes, in the right circumstances, this can be a fun way to pass the time, at others it can be a little boring!

The book is very specific to Skye, if you're looking for Scottish folk tales, or even fairy stories I'd maybe look elsewhere. this is a very human book, it's about the people and places of Skye, the important families, notorious individuals, specific buildings and landmarks. I have to say that for someone who isn't rooted in Skye's history a lot of it went over my head.
Again it's like listening to an acquaintance tell a story about someone they know but you don't, often with only vague background details - eventually it gets a little boring.

One sad thing the book throws up to me is the loss of traditional stories and storytellers. Many of the tales in here are very fragmentary, you can tell there was a deeper core to the story originally but the details have all been lost in the mists of time and all that's left is the outline.

For example, one story listed in the superstitions section goes like this:

"Taibhsearachd (second sight) is still firmly believed in. I knew an old man who was said to have this. It was believed he had witnessed some terrible scene. True it was that nothing could tempt him to go outside in the darkness."

That's it. That's the whole story - or at least it's all the story you're given. Clearly there was more to this once upon a time, this is more like an introduction to the real story, but the details are gone now.

Most of the stories aren't all that old - or at least not on the face of it. They're mostly rooted from a Christian point of view, there's lots about churches and ministers. You get a sense sometime that there's an older story underneath that has been redecorated with Christian trappings but these glimpses are tantalising and ultimately unsatisfying. Whatever good the coming of Christianity to the Island did, one undoubted bad is that it played its part in destroying and covering over the old folk traditions.

Another slight niggle is that Gaelic words and phrases are often thrown into the narrative - this is a good thing it gives a lot of flavour to the story - but they're often not translated into English for the general reader.

I bought this while on holiday on Skye and enjoyed reading little snippets about the places we were going and the things we'd seen but I've found it impossible to sit and read the book cover to cover, as a non native of the island it just can't hold my interest.

I'm glad this book was made, I'm glad someone recorded these stories before they were lost completely but the sum of the book makes me more sad for the passing of the story telling tradition than anything else.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4