Profile for M. N. > Reviews

Content by M. N.

M. N. (United Kingdom)

Jealousy (Oneworld Modern Classics)
Jealousy (Oneworld Modern Classics)
by Alain Robbe-Grillet

5.0 out of 5 stars Jealousy is an extreme emotion, Grillet's style is its counter point., 30 Mar. 2011
This book is one of the rare occasions in which you get a nice slap in the face saying that fiction (or films, tv, music etc) doesn't necessarily have to be the way it is often so nicely packaged and homogenized. Having said that it's internal project is clear after a few pages and it is a tough book to get through, the seemingly shortness of this book actually (for me) gives it a containment to pull together what Grillet wanted from his 'Nouveau Roman' writing. It was recommended to me by an artist. It fits in well with other interesting main stream fictions like Riddley Walker or The Atrocity Exhibition (and countless others I'll remember later no doubt). It can read like a diagram of descriptions between the few protagonists, their recorded movements interactions in the house scream of something (jealousy?) you must wring out. Truly inspiring (I read a couple other of his books near Jealousy's equal).

Western Digital My Passport Essential 250GB USB Portable Hard Drive -Real Red
Western Digital My Passport Essential 250GB USB Portable Hard Drive -Real Red

1.0 out of 5 stars You WILL need a back-up for this back up (Illogical I know), 6 Jun. 2010
This product looks great and works great, if it carries on this way. This is a warning message I did not give the first time round. My first 250GB Hard drive failed to be recognised on multiple computers after a week or 2. Only minimal damage basically wasting a fair amount of time, and I was somewhat glad to have got the (I imagined) 1 in 10,000 defective model out of the way. The replacement has now started to act the same way after 14months (of not very hard work I have to say). It is defective, again. The odds are far higher than you would think it seems, back up your hard drive is the warning- too bad that is completely the wrong way round!
PS. I still do not know at this time of writing, if my last 10 years of art work, research, photos, dissertations etc. are going to be retrieved.).
PPS. Tip 2: another unhappier reviewer says the bulkier wall plug-in HD's apparently don't do this so often).

Oryx And Crake
Oryx And Crake
by Margaret Atwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Just under 4stars really.. All Too Human, 4 May 2010
This review is from: Oryx And Crake (Paperback)
As I began this novel it had suggestions it would be far more outlandish than it ever became. It was very 'film-like' to read, with its ruined suburbs, globally tropical conditions, dank dark cities (pleeblands), and hostilely clean biological corporation buildings. The main themes seemed to rise and disappear after a very short read. These 'hooks' are precise and well placed, very topical and I believe take a mature reader to grasp the maturity of the writing and decision making. A major novelistic flaw -which this terrific author is not usually guilty of- is losing my feeling for the central character. As well as not developing some of the brilliant openers- she didn't quite 'push the boat out'.

Pocket Oxford Italian Dictionary
Pocket Oxford Italian Dictionary
by Pat Bulhosen

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice balance, 3 Aug. 2009
Ignore the 'pocket' description -unless you consider War and Peace a pocket novel? As a complete beginner I realised the tiny dictionaries are to reacquaint the learner with words they should really get to know over time and repetition. Where as this does have the words you really will have to look up ie. 'head' or 'hat' versus: 'spine', 'spinal cord' or 'spineless'. As with good reliable dictionaries it is easy and clear, I find myself opening it often to right page in one turn. I am content with this as my first language dictionary. With my beginner status in Italian, I won't be in need of an upgrade for a very long while yet.

Francis Bacon: The Logic of Sensation (Athlone Contemporary European Thinkers)
Francis Bacon: The Logic of Sensation (Athlone Contemporary European Thinkers)
by Gilles Deleuze

5.0 out of 5 stars logical inspirational choice, 12 Aug. 2007
A note from a painter (working in a cartoonish manic fleshyness) I came to this through Bacon, but left forgetting it was about him- in the best possible sense. The depth of understanding towards the picture plane, for example the meaning of movement and stasis of protagonists within the work. Reading painting unrelated, to say, the symbolic readings of Raphael. Deleuze seems to comprehend the artistic creative process (the near automatic) which is built upon logical process of a planned refinement. I only touch upon so little of this book. An awesome work which thankfully does not spell out anything in layman's terms. I read a chapter every month or so, and they stuck.