Profile for j6_40 > Reviews

The Importance Of Being Earnest [DVD] [1952]
The Importance Of Being Earnest [DVD] [1952]
Dvd ~ Michael Redgrave
Offered by All We Ever Look For

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine film destroyed by dreadful sound (network edition), 22 Mar. 2012
Having now tested 4 copies (2011-2012) of this network edition of the 1952 film, one direct from amazon.co.uk and three others (one a replacement copy) from amazon marketplace sellers, I can only warn others not to waste their money on it.
I bought the DVDs for friends learning English and only discovered how bad the sound was when I had one sent direct to myself. I have since sent all four copies back. One friend assumed the problem was her insufficient knowledge of English. Far from it!
I seriously question whether those giving this network edition 5-star reviews (sometimes merely recounting the story or praising the cast, etc.) have ever even watched it!

IMPORTANT NOTICE (2017):
If you are looking for a DVD of this 1952 version with decent sound quality (cf. 7-part recording on youtube), I recommend you buy the ITALIAN DVD (L'Importanza di Chiamarsi Ernesto), which is also available on amazon.co.uk. The English sound track is a bit muffled (not as good as the Italian), but quite acceptable. It also has optional English subtitles, if you need them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2014 4:27 PM BST