Profile for Reg > Reviews

Content by Reg

Reg

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Easy2Grow Set (2 Pot Kit + 2 Pot Extension)
Easy2Grow Set (2 Pot Kit + 2 Pot Extension)
Offered by Gardening Naturally

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and probably the best on the market, 11 May 2016
This is my third set, and I am delighted with the product. Having tried several different watering systems this is the first that really works. It not only covers short spells away, it ensures the plants receive enough irrigation at all times.

4 x 70L packs of Peat Free Coconut Coir Compost
4 x 70L packs of Peat Free Coconut Coir Compost
Offered by Ironmongery Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact and effective compost, 11 May 2016
The packs are very solid and took a fair effort to saw into manageable blocks , having soaked them and broken the compost up they made what appears a good peat type compost, without the environmental problems that peat gives. mixed with some soil, home made compost and grit I have made my own potting compost which appears, after the first month to be working well. I should possibly report at the end of the season, but at the present I expect to have used my last peat based compost and will stick to this product.
One last thought is , being so compressed handling and storage of the compost is no longer a problem.
I have only given 4 stars as the final proof will be at the end of the season.

The Venetians - A New History: From Marco Polo to Casanova
The Venetians - A New History: From Marco Polo to Casanova
by Paul Strathern

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but wide ranging history, 29 April 2016
Very disappointed with this book, although the author has clearly put in much research I did not feel he loves Venice. One example is his account of the treatment of it's Jewish population. He notes "This most pragmatic of Cities understood that, owing to the Christian ban on usury, the presence of the Jews as moneylenders was a necessity..." and then notes the restrictions put on Jews and the ambivalent attitude of the city toward them. However the fact that at the same time the rest of Europe seems to have had a far more aggressive attitude fails to be emphasised.
It has a Bibliography and Index but there are no notes to indicate the sources used.
I got the feeling this has been prepared without reference back to primary sources, I may of course be wrong, and if so apologise. The praise quoted on the Dw stresses he has used his "novelist's eye" and that it is "entertaining and well written" these comments sum up the book which others will enjoy more than I.
Being a long time lover of the city this will however remain on my bookshelves.

Epson Durabrite Apple Multipack Ultra Ink Cartridges - Frustration-Free Packaging, Multicolours

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth paying for genuine products, 29 Feb. 2016
It is original / genuine Epson ink. Having used a couple of "substitute" inks I have found they tend to clog or run out far too quickly. This has not been a problem with the more costly, but better, Epson inks. It could of course be that I have been unlucky, but I have tried supermarket , chain store, and local ink shop products none of which (in my opinion) came up to the standard I get from Epson.

The Big Cheese Mouse & Rat Attractant
The Big Cheese Mouse & Rat Attractant

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and efficient, 14 Feb. 2016
I hardly like using this , in my Big Cheese rat trap, as I do not relish having to kill the animals. However rats are vermin and the seems the most humane system, and it does not leave poisoned animals about to damage cats or foxes. This bait is an effective and necessary alternative way of helping remove vermin.

Nikon 1 J5 Compact System Camera - White (20.8 MP, 10 - 30 mm PD-Zoom Lens Kit, 4K Movie Shooting)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and responsive giving excellent results, 14 Feb. 2016
Bought to replace a J2 camera. Many of the annoying problems have been solved and the camera responds quickly and with precision. I am so impressed with the results I will sometimes leave my DSLR at home and use this (not just as a second camera).

Venice. The Islands of the Lagoon: Pearls of Land Forgotten in the Sea (Discovering Venice Series)
by Giovanni Cavarzere

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to the Venetian Lagoon, 14 Feb. 2016
A brief, sometimes rather too brief, description of many Venetian lagoon islands. The map leaves something to be desired but it is is good value and a firm addition to my small library of books on Venice & its history.

Rolson Reflective Heavy Duty Rigger Gloves
Rolson Reflective Heavy Duty Rigger Gloves

4.0 out of 5 stars Good inexpensive protection, 14 Feb. 2016
These are so inexpensive I purchased with some trepidation. However , having used them as protection from Rose and Blackberry thorns I have found they give excellent protection and are flexible enough not to hamper dexterity. I do not generally use gardening gloves but find protection against thorns and twigs very useful when clearing and shredding. Highly recommended!

Jungle Formula Maximum Roll On - 50 ml
Jungle Formula Maximum Roll On - 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection, 14 Feb. 2016
Although I have found this to be only 90% successful it is far superior to any other product I have seen (and tried). Having used it hillwalking in Scotland, which in the midge season is a tough call, and in Venice, to name but two locations I cannot recommend it too highly. [Why only 4 stars?, it is not perfect, but I think the best available!

The Horses Of St Marks: A Story of Triumph in Byzantium, Paris and Venice
The Horses Of St Marks: A Story of Triumph in Byzantium, Paris and Venice
by Charles Freeman

4.0 out of 5 stars A detailed and thoughtful book, 14 Dec. 2015
This is clearly the product of a real love of the subject and much detailed research. I found Mr Freeman's prose a little trying, but that is undoubtedly my failing. I liked the way he detailed his thought process and reasoned the conclusion he makes. It is possibly a good idea to read "The Horses of San Marco" ed. Guido Perocco [Thames & Hudson 1979] which is a collection of scholarly contributions which prepare you for the later research detailed by Mr Freeman

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4