Profile for Never grown up > Reviews

Content by Never grown up

Never grown up

Jonah Lomu Rugby (PlayStation Vita)
Jonah Lomu Rugby (PlayStation Vita)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with some flaws, 26 Dec. 2014
At last a handheld rugby game (the only other one as I far as I know is a little-known Australian DS game - Mascot Mania).

This game looks very nice and plays well for the most part. Scrums, tackling and passing are good. Kicking by swiping your finger is excellent. Running is not so good - touching the rear pad to sprint didn't seem to make much difference, so most of my tries come after gaining ground the hard way, with forward play. Much more England on a wet day than Southern Hemisphere teams with powerful wingers.

You can play single matches, or tournaments (customize your own tournament if you don't like the ones available). There is also a career mode, which adds some longevity.

It's not as good as Fifa, but it's fun. If you like rugby and have a Vita, it's a no-brainer,

Tearaway (PlayStation Vita)
Tearaway (PlayStation Vita)
Offered by 2huskys

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an absolutely beautiful platform game, 25 Sept. 2014
This is an absolutely beautiful platform game. It makes great use of the Vita's features. You'll use the camera, the touch screen and the rear touch panels, but these never feel as if they've been shoe-horned in, to the detriment of the gameplay in the way that so many early DS games had ill-advised touch-screen controls.

Your face is the sun in this game, and you control a messenger delivering a letter.

The graphics really are superb. Everything in the game looks, convincingly, as if it has been made out of paper. The sound is very good too. Controls are subtle, but responsive.

It isn't the most difficult game or the longest. If you finish it and then want to go back and collect everything, there's probably about a dozen hours of gameplay here.

This makes a great addition to any Vita collection. Once I've tired of the ports of Borderlands and Dynasty Warriors 8, I love doing a level or two on this fun game, even though I've finished it.

Plus One [DVD]
Plus One [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Mays
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant over-looked comedy, 26 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Plus One [DVD] (DVD)
This is the pilot episode of Plus One, which is quite mediocre, then the five fantastic episodes, which were better than the pilot largely due to much funnier Daniel Mays replacing Rory as the main character.

It's a rare romantic comedy where the protagonist is not trying to get the girl back. All five episodes were very different, but consistently hilarious. The cast were superb, especially Duncan from Blue, who really impressed me with his ability to laugh at himself.

It's now less than four quid. An absolute bargain.

Dynasty Warriors 8 - Xtreme Legends (Playstation Vita)
Dynasty Warriors 8 - Xtreme Legends (Playstation Vita)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is much better than the first Dynasty Warriors game on Vita, 13 July 2014
This is much better than the first Dynasty Warriors game on Vita. The graphics are better, the controls feel more responsive, and the boss battles don't have those infuriatingly difficult swiping your finger across the screen minigames (or if they do, the default setting is for them to be turned off).

For those who don't know, the Dynasty Warriors games are loose recreations of battles and events during China's Three Kingdoms period. Although there are thousands of rank and file troops on both sides, it's only the participation of the officers that makes any difference. However, being a super warrior and slaughtering masses of rank and filers is extremely satisfying, particularly with the taller and stronger characters, who scatter them like skittles. Battles against other officers are less of a foregone conclusion, especially when your attacks are blocked, but no less fun. Some titles have a little strategy in them, but this crowd control is the meat and drink of the series since its first outing on PS2. These games aren't going to be games that people talk about years after the consoles have been retired, but they are great fun to play, and that's what matters.

This particular title comes with a wealth of content. As well as the story mode for all the kingdoms, there's also free mode and ambition mode, where you participate in battles to win materials and allies to build your base. There are also challenge modes to be completed. The collecting and use of weapons and enhancements is bigger and more complicated than in DW7. In short, there's probably over a hundred hours of gameplay if you're going to complete the game.

I have no interest in playing online, so I haven't tried that. Another reviewer has said that the online play has problems - he may be right. I don't know.

It's definitely the best handheld DW game that I've played. If you want to play Three Kingdom battles on the go, you can't go wrong. I doubt there are many Vita owners who are new to the series, but if you are, it's as good a game as any to start, certainly much better in every way than it's predecessor and the PSP games.

Benidorm - Series 6 [DVD]
Benidorm - Series 6 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Pemberton

3.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near its best, but still funny in places, 11 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Benidorm - Series 6 [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a big fan of this comedy, owning all the series and rewatching most of them regularly.

When Benidorm started, I had tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks as I watched it. It was brilliant - a hilarious exaggerated stereotype of Brits on holiday that didn't take itself too seriously. Series 2 was just as good - those deserve five stars each.

Then the format changed to an hour or so, from the half-hour episodes. Series 3 was good, although it didn't quite reach the peaks of its predecessors. Four stars.

The lowest point was reached in series 4. Too many strong characters left (The Oracle, Martin [his wife Kate had already left] and Chantelle) to be replaced by rubbish ones (Natalie and Liam, I'm looking at you). And although there were some funny moments, there was some which were nothing short of idiotic, like the Kart race. Two stars.

Things picked up a bit in series 5, although I think everyone was disappointed by the change in manageress. Three stars.

In series six, almost none of the original characters are still in it. Only the Garveys, minus Chantelle, and Donald and Jacqueline, along with Martin for a few episodes remain from the first series. I hadn't seen any new Benidorm for about two years when I watched series 6, and I found this series entertaining, but no longer providing the laugh-out-loud moments of the early series. And Liam is still there, with his woefully unconvincing portrayal of a well-meaning fool. But it doesn't have the ludicrousness of the Kart race, or the pathetic Scary Mary from series 4. So no better but no worse that Series 5.

I wasn't a big fan of the new family - I thought the premise of most guests from the North, but the posh couple from the South worked much better, but I suppose it needed new characters. I'm very disappointed that the Garveys apparently aren't going to be in the next series. Even the return of Crissy Rock, The Oracle and his mother doesn't quite make up for that. I'll still buy it, probably.

If you haven't had your fill of Benidorm, get it, but don't expect it to blow you away.

Borderlands 2 (Playstation Vita)
Borderlands 2 (Playstation Vita)
Offered by rockaway-records

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing port of a brilliant game, 8 Jun. 2014
Borderlands and Borderlands 2 were two of my favourite games on PS3, and I was delighted when I read that 2 was coming to Vita. I can see the argument that the Vita needs new and original content, but it is absolutely magnificent to play such a great game on the move.

The reviews in the press have been disappointing, and there are a few technical reasons why the Vita version isn't quite as good as the home console ones. It doesn't have quite as many enemies on the screen at once, there are some occasions where the framerate drops, and co-operative play is only two players, not four.

Of these issues, the first is frankly a non-issue, as the action is quite frantic enough. And the third doesn't affect me at all, as I never play online. The second is something that is noticeable, but so far (I've got up to the sanctuary and done a few of the missions from that point) hasn't made the gameplay any worse.

This is a very good value package - lots of downloadable extra content is included as well. If you do have the PS3 version, Borderlands 2 has a cross-save version, so you can play on your PS3 at the weekend, and then continue the adventure with your character on your Vita on the way to work.

At under twenty quid, this really is something that every Vita owner should have, I think it's second only to Persona 4 Golden as an essential Vita title.

Blood of Kings
Blood of Kings

4.0 out of 5 stars A few flaws, but a good read, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Blood of Kings (Kindle Edition)
I bought this after reading Persian Fire, mostly because there isn't a lot of choice of books, either fiction or non-fiction, about Cambyses' time.

I would certainly buy more from the same author. The book is a very entertaining account of Darius coming to power. I'm no expert, but it seems to be well-researched. It's fast-paced and well-described. Once the story has finished, there is also an interesting chapter about the author's own travels in the area, which some might skip over, but I enjoyed.

The few flaws I referred to in the title are places where the writing seems rather amateurish. Phrases such as "It was the last time he ever saw him alive" are presumably supposed to set up a cliff-hanger and make the book unputdownable, but I found them a bit cringe-inducing. Fortunately, they don't come up very often, and they don't spoil the story.

A fascinating time in history and a writing-style that is usually very good make this is a great purchase if you are waiting for the next Conn Iggulden book.

Playing The Field: Series 1 And 2 [DVD]
Playing The Field: Series 1 And 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lesley Sharp
Offered by i want one of those

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 4 May 2014
I really expected more from this, given the quality of the cast. However, I found many of the episodes to be a chore to sit through, rather than entertaining, and some of the attempts at humour wouldn't have been out of place in a kids' drama class. For example, a huge man hurls himself at a door to try to open it, only for an old lady to open it by turning the handle.

I just found it hard to like or be interested in any of the characters. Perhaps it will work for other people, but it didn't for me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2014 11:27 PM BST

Scooby-Doo Where Are You! Vol 1 & 2 [DVD]
Scooby-Doo Where Are You! Vol 1 & 2 [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of fun, 4 May 2014
I've bought this ostensibly for my nephew, and I've loved watching them again with him. As many previous reviewers have said, no Scrappy in this series which can only be a good thing.

Sure, they're formulaic, but they're entertaining, the art is beautiful, and the animation is excellent.

I bought this when I finished the Thundercats DVD. Inspector Gadet is winging its way to me now.

Thundercats Vol. 1 [DVD] [2011]
Thundercats Vol. 1 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Katsuhito Akiyama

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute steal at the price., 3 Feb. 2014
At the ripe old age of 38, I fondly remember the Thundercats toys, so I bought this for my, erm, nephew, yes, that will do.

Rose tinted glasses, perhaps, but I very much enjoyed it. The quality of the animation is excellent, and the voice acting is amusingly over-acted but completely appropriate for the characters.

Occasionally the dialogue is enough to make you cringe. "Go, primitive creatures. Live out your simple lives," is one example, but that only adds to the program's charm.

Definitely get it if you ever enjoyed the cartoons or the toys back in the 1980s. For three quid or so, it's a great bargain.