Profile for Miss Heliotrope > Reviews

Miss Heliotrope (here)

Nomad
Nomad
by Sibella Court

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for design inspiration, less good on classic literature., 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Nomad (Hardcover)
I enjoy Sibella Court's books - some more than others, but I find that with most authors. While I have a considerable home/decor/design book habit, hers are the only ones I buy. I keep them in a pile by my bed & read & re-read as needed - unless I feeling physically weak, for they weigh a bit.

My only real gripe with Nomad is that Court has unfortunately confused Ulysses by James Joyce with The Odyssey by Homer; she says she has started to read the former, and copies appear in the photographs so who am I do argue, but she then mentions (I am pleased that that the text is a bit hard to see, or I would be cringing more often) that she is looking forward to the scene when Odysseus stops his mens' ears, gets himself tied to the mast, and sails past the Sirens. In Joyce! I suspect she hasnt got much past the title page.

Nevertheless, despite the trauma this caused me, I get considerable pleasure from this book. Given that no other such picture book I have read has even referred to either Joyce or Homer, I am possibly being a tad picky.

It's a lovely book, providing stimulation & inspiration as a starting point for one's own ideas about decor, design, and styling.