Profile for Eirlys > Reviews

Content by Eirlys

Eirlys (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
A Killing Moon (DI Damen Brook 5) (DI Brook Series)
A Killing Moon (DI Damen Brook 5) (DI Brook Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Full marks to this novel., 12 Oct. 2015
A Killing Moon

I don't know how I have missed reading any novels by this author (Steven Dunne). What

I do know is, that I am going to read all four previous books.

The plot centres around missing girls and the detectives involved are characters written

about in previous novels. They are one of the reasons I want to read the other books.

For me, they ceased to be characters in a book very early on in the story and I found

myself thinking of them are real people whom I wanted to know better. Only by reading

the previous novels can I achieve this.

Brook and Noble are truly well-created and fleshed. Brook has "flaws": he has suffered a breakdown in the past ; he faces criticism, even dislike, from some colleagues, yet he rises above all these. He can be acerbic when confronting fools, or smart Alecs, but he can also be loyal and tolerant.

Noble is no Lewis kow-towing to Morse; in fact, I thought Brook had more Rebus-like qualities but the duo jell well together and are able to work, and progress in their investigations, and the latter involving the disappearance of girls in Derby turn up evidence of something very dark ad evil in Derby.

The plot twists and turns but the reader can follow the clues and compete in the investigation. Steven Dunne writes well, though I found some of his graphic decriptions harrowing. He does not mince words. His villains, though they would resent that title, are truly appalling people; the subject-matter frighteningly different.

As I wrote earlier, I want to read the previous novels now to bring even more credence to the detective duo. I know the plots will be gripping.

I was given this book to read and asked my opinion. Verdict? A Killing Moon

I do know is, that I am going to read all four previous books.

the previous novels can I achieve this.

I was given this book to read and asked my opinion.
Verdict? Full marks to "A Killing Moon".

Model Woman: Eileen Ford and the Business of Beauty Hardcover June 16, 2015
Model Woman: Eileen Ford and the Business of Beauty Hardcover June 16, 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars The Modelling Boss, 31 Aug. 2015
Robert Lacey can always be guaranteed to write a "warts and all" biography. His portrait of Eileen Ford does not disappoint.

The Ford Modelling Agency , founded by Eilleen and Jerry Ford, turned modelling into one of the most glamorous professions and made multi-millionaires of many beautiful women, as well as establishing the Fords as two of the foremost business entrepreneurs of their day.

Brought up in the security that a prosperous family offered her, Eillen was confident and self-assured all her life. She knew what she wanted and made sure she got it!

This formidable woman saw the business possibilities modelling offered and seized the chance with both hands. She was just as directed in her choice of husband. From the moment she saw Gerry Ford when she "nearly fainted" at his good looks, he was hers.

Robert Lacey spent four years researching his subject and it shows. He describes
clearly and interestingly how the Fords set up their business,; how they chose their models; how they trained them and how they made their fortune. Others who tried to jump on the gravy train were, for a very longtime, ruthlessly shown the errors oftheir ways.

The author brings Eileen very much to life in his book. She was single-minded, outspoken, and aroused both loyalty, and extreme dislike in various people. To her "girls", or at least the ones who allowed her to be their complete mentor, she was a protector who dealt with the problems of every day life. To the people who opposed her, or who tried to set up a company against her, she was calculating, cold, and swift to exert her own form of justice. Even her husband had to endure her cruel comments and domineering attitude so it is no wonder that we read he had an affair with one of Eileen's models.

Jerry Ford was obviously an asset to the firm. No one seems to have had a bad word to say against him. An honourable man he championed Eileen at all times and his steadying influence must have been one reason why so many models affiliated themselves to the Ford Agency.

The little anecdotes the reader learns about the models themselves make interesting reading but Robert Lacey never loses the fact that Eileen herself is the subject of his book. I feel she was not a truly likeable person. Her sharp tongue offended and she never seemed to care about the effect her words or actions had on people. She placed herself first, her agency (possibly), second and her husband whom she dearly loved, third.

I suspect that Robert Lacey did not like Eileen Ford but he is scrupulously fair in his writing never allowing his own feelings to colour his account.

Eileen knew how to choose a model; she knew how to organise a successful modelling agency; she brought up a well-adjusted "model" family. What this book hints at is the fact that no one would want to use Eileen as a model human being, a fact something she herself would not care a fig about.

I would recommend this book for its depth of research ; its uncompromisingly clear portrait of a focused, arrogant woman who achieved all she set out to achieve; its detailed lists of models who became household names; its fascinating account of modelling "wars".

A great read for the biography- afficionado.

Yuzet 2m x 8m 100g Weed Control Ground Cover Membrane Fabric Heavy Duty
Yuzet 2m x 8m 100g Weed Control Ground Cover Membrane Fabric Heavy Duty
Offered by trade-mart

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Aug. 2015
Excellent for ground cover under artificial grass. Very pleased with quality and speed of delivery.

50 x 6" / 150mm SECURING PEGS weed fabric fleece tarpaulin tent ground sheet
50 x 6" / 150mm SECURING PEGS weed fabric fleece tarpaulin tent ground sheet
Offered by trade-mart

5.0 out of 5 stars (Had thought of using metal ones but glad we didn't, 19 Aug. 2015
Used with our artificial grass these securing pegs were invaluable. (Had thought of using metal ones but glad we didn't.)
Only bent one so quite strong.

Artificial Grass Jointing Seaming Tape 1m
Artificial Grass Jointing Seaming Tape 1m
Offered by Lampe UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Used this with our artificial grass and found it easy and economical to use, 19 Aug. 2015
Used this with our artificial grass and found it easy and economical to use. Delivered speedily at a acompetitive price.

Elegant Sheer Longline Drape Cardigan Black/SM
Elegant Sheer Longline Drape Cardigan Black/SM

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted!, 4 Jun. 2015
I have been looking for a "cardigan" like this one for some time. Delighted to have found it at last. Was a bit hesitant whether quality would be Ok but need not have worried.
A great item that will earn its keep in my wardrobe, or anyone else's!

And Is There Honey Still For Tea? (A Ben Schroeder Novel Book 3)
And Is There Honey Still For Tea? (A Ben Schroeder Novel Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars I love spy stories so I looked forward to reading "And ..., 7 May 2015
I love spy stories so I looked forward to reading "And is there honey still for tea?". The main plot revolves around a possible fifth man in the Burgess, MacLean, Blunt, Philby coterie, namely Sir James Digby a seemingly upstanding QC. Accused of being a Soviet spy he can do no other but challenge the man behind the accusation. This is Fracis Hollander, an American academic..

The reader gets to know Sir James through his diary-entries. He seems to be a good-natured, clever, man with a social conscience. At his University the latter is seized upon cleverly, and subtly, by Anthony Blunt. Sir James becomes a member of the exclusive Society of the Apostles. With our knowledge of what Philby and his friends stood for the reader begins to assume the worst.

Amongst the men chosen by Sir James to represent him in his libel case is Ben Schroeder, a barrister who has his own problem. He has fallen in love with Jess, a solicitor, and this is a disciplinary offence as far as members of Middle Temple are concerned.

When MI6 becomes involved in the libel case Ben Schroeder and his associates realise they have a very difficult case on their hands.

Peter Murphy descibes the legal meetings in great detail, so much so that I soon found myself bogged down in the technicalities, the legal jargon. I had to re-read one or two paragraphs in order to ensure I kew what was being said! This became tedious after a while. I felt as if my comprehension was being tested.

On the other hand the scenes between Ben and Jess and their friends were far too mundane: a meal described in detail, conversation adding nothing to the plot. The love-interest did not come over as being genuine; but almost as if it were an afterthought.

Sir James's passion for chess is clear from the start and the author obviously is also a chess lover. For anyone who has no, or just a rudimentary knowledge of the game, the detail can be difficult to take in, even though the game is an essential part of the plot.

As I said earlier I love spy stories. However I found my interest waning as the book progressed. I found the legal details overwhelming; the writing too pedantic. It wasn't a page-turner. I was even temped to skip to the last few pages to discover the outcome. I didn't, but the urge was there!

Peter Murphy, the author, obviously has a fine mind, and his knowledge of the Law is prodigious. What he fails to do as far as I am concerned, is awake my interest in the ins and outs of often-archaic rules and regulations. Also, for me he has not been able to create characters I care about. I am sure he could write the definitive text book for law students though.

The book's title is taken from the closing lines of "Granchester", by Rupert Brooke, a Neo-Romantic poet. They are beautiful lines written by a man who had flaws. In a way I feel the novel echoes this.

chinkyboo 2X Facial Hair Remover Removal Epilator Stick Threading Beauty Tool
chinkyboo 2X Facial Hair Remover Removal Epilator Stick Threading Beauty Tool
Offered by chinkyboo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great once mastered, 7 Feb. 2015
I had to practise quite a bit before I got the hang of using this epilator stick correctly. Really like it now. Leaves skin smooth and hair-free. (Reminds me of eyebrow-threading technique).

Bargain price for two and free postage.

5:2 Fast Diet Recipe Book: Meals for One!: Amazing Single Serving 5:2 Fast Diet Recipes to Lose More Weight with Intermittent Fasting
by Diana Clayton

5.0 out of 5 stars A much-needed book: no quantities to divide by two ..., 7 Feb. 2015
A much-needed book : no quantities to divide by two, or four. Everything for the one who wants to diet.

5:2 Diet Photos: 600 Food Photos, 60 Low-Calorie Recipes & 30 Snack Ideas
5:2 Diet Photos: 600 Food Photos, 60 Low-Calorie Recipes & 30 Snack Ideas
by Chris Cheyette

5.0 out of 5 stars ... works and this book makes the whole thing so easy., 7 Feb. 2015
The diet works and this book makes the whole thing so easy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5