Profile for Iain Lennon > Reviews

Content by Iain Lennon

Iain Lennon (London, England)

Nikon 18-200MM F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX
Nikon 18-200MM F3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX

4.0 out of 5 stars So good its....boring., 21 May 2008
I've had this lens for about 6 months. It's really very good - 11 times zoom, no need to carry an 18-55 and 55-200 (or change between them), but somehow I've found that this isn't the point.

I've owned a Sigma 30mm 1.4 for about two months, and oddly, I've found that I'd miss the loss of that much more (and I don't have to guess, my Sigma is undergoing replacement due to a fault, and I miss it like cigarettes). Somehow the 18-200 helps you take pictures of all kinds of things, but without the lens ever having anything to say.

The aperture isn't that fast - so you don't get the creamy blur of a fast prime for beatiful and interesting portraits, it's not super-wide - so no enjoyable excentric landscapes. It's not super-long (200 isn't crazy). I had to own this lens to cover all of the bread and butter pictures, but ended up finding that they were just that. Having 'the bases covered' meant I could get something specific that I thought was a luxury I'd use less - a fixed 30mm which in theory should be far less flexible or useful - but found that it was that one that I'd then never want to take off my camera.

Because this lens doesn't have a particular aesthetic of it's own (it's really very neutral), it doesn't make you want to take shots like more specific lenses do.

All in all I'd still recommend it, but only to free yourself up to get something a bit more interesting.

Conquistadors (Radio Collection)
Conquistadors (Radio Collection)
by Michael Wood
Edition: Audio Cassette

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing detail, brilliantly written and narrated., 7 July 2001
While Wood describes the Incas as an illiterate society (despite their many other achievements), he has clearly had access to some form of documentation which allow him throughout this series to present the indigenous people's own reaction to the Spanish invaders. His ability to explore the emotional as well as historic aspect to the conquests - of bewilderment, extraordinary courage, horror and an utter lack of compassion - give an absorbing depth to his account.
My only criticism is more of a frustration that he has not produced a sequel to answer the questions that this audiobook raises. What of the Portuguese and the collonisation of Brazil? Of the conflicts between the Portuguese and the Spanish?
Perhaps the greatest history books leave you thirsty to know more, though. This once certainly achieves that. Hugely recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 11, 2013 6:43 PM GMT