Profile for Marie > Reviews

The Best Friends' Guide to Pregnancy: Or Everything Your Doctor Won't Tell You
The Best Friends' Guide to Pregnancy: Or Everything Your Doctor Won't Tell You
by Vicki Iovine

5.0 out of 5 stars all things to all women...?, 2 July 2007
I heard a rumour that it's possible to give birth without reading any books. Maybe so, but I found that the books helped me cope with my lack of knowledge and lack of courage. You only need to read 3 or 4 of them. I know because I read 10 of them.

The Best Friends' Guide was my favourite. It made the whole thing seem more human, more bearable, more possible. It deals with aspects of pregnancy that the textbooks don't.

You still need a textbook. I'd recommend Anne Dean's 'Pregnancy Bible'. And an exercise book. I bought 'Pregnancy Fitness'. Good luck with that. And, even though it was written by a mere man, I enjoyed my partner's favourite book, Andrew Cullen's 'From Here To Paternity', which does for men what The Best Friends' Guide does for women - tells the truth in an intelligent, reassuring, entertaining way.

No single book is all things to all women. The BFG may not be infallible, but it's invaluable, like any best friend.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2008 1:19 PM GMT