Profile for TerryB > Reviews

Companion Planting
Companion Planting
by Brenda Little

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and practical advice., 4 July 2013
This review is from: Companion Planting (Hardcover)
Excellent little book that makes a lovely read with some intelligent information that goes quite a way beyond what you can read on the internet.Its a hardback with thick leaf pages and a nice clear black text so is easy to read. There is a good foreward and a short good/bad companion table at the back for quick browsing.

I have an allotment and built my second year planting plan from the information a gleaned from this book and all is going splendidly well so far. I have my cabbages and cauliflower planted next to a Tansy/Borage/Hyssop block combination and as expected, the Cabbage root fly has left my cauliflower alone and my cabbages are completely ignored by the cabbage white butterfly. I have nasturtians interplanted with my cabbages too and a few African marigolds dotted inbetween everything and not only does my plot look very healthy, but I have a very busy little eco system in place this year. Last year, my plot was barren and miserable. Its been truly amazing how much of a difference this little book has made for me.

A highly recommended read and if you put half of what you learn into practice you'll go far. Well worth it.

Spear & Jackson Irish Round 60-inch Open Socket Shovel
Spear & Jackson Irish Round 60-inch Open Socket Shovel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Jan. 2013
Bought this for my allotment work. Arrived quickly and very well wrapped. On the same day it arrived I took it to the allotment and put it to work digging my plot over before a very cold spell arrived. The handle tip is forehead height when standing (I'm 5' 9") next to me and it has a very sturdy and solid shovel at the end of an equally sturdy and very solid handle.

In use, it takes a little getting used to but you will immediately notice that you are not bending down to shovel the dirt and so you find you are shovelling a lot more than you would with a D handled 'spade'. After a while you find yourself getting into a rythm, drop the shovel tip at the position you want to dig, press down with your foot to get into the soil, pull back the handle to leverage the soil just a little bit, another firm stamp with the foot to get right down and then leverage the soil before turning the sod over. Even on dense 'claggy' soil, the effort it takes to get the sod up and over is an awful lot less than a D handled 'spade'. After a while, you don't even need to look at what you are doing.

I bought this because a waist height D handled spade was killing me for digging over and leaving me with a feeling that the allotment wasn't something I enjoyed doing. Because I have only had the allotment for one year so far, that equates to neglect and not doing as much as I should. Since getting this shovel, I feel that the heaviest work is now well within my capability, digging the plot over is something I now enjoy.

All in all a very very good buy, a solid, well made piece of kit that will give years of productivity in return. The only gripe I can see is that it is quite heavy and large and doesn't seem to be that usable for other jobs, for instance, working in a tight area, you need good space to work without other people close by. The handle is quite thick to so if you are small or have small hands it may need some getting used to.

Other than that, you simply cannot go wrong with this.

Sennheiser CX 500 - High Quality Noise Isolating Ear-Canal-Headphones With Volume Control - Titanium

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy., 19 Aug. 2011
I like these earphones. Good clear sound with rich bass and excellent clarity in the high tones. Well made with a volume controller on the cord and my set have plenty of cord for use. My only gripe is they don't come with a controller to allow switching between songs on my Blackberry. Other than that, an excellent buy and well worth the money.

JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
by David Flanagan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Jun. 2011
Ordered this for well under the price for new and got a second hand as-new item. Ordered it and received it two days before the delivery estimate.

The book is well structered with an overview of the language lexicon followed by industry standard usage examples and a well laid out references section both for language usage and client side usage. The writing style is coherent and engaging with a clear narrative that should be understood by novice and expert alike.

On the whole very happy.

Vango Omega 250 2 Berth Tent Pine/Black
Vango Omega 250 2 Berth Tent Pine/Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tent., 14 Jun. 2011
Bought this for camping but after spending a night on the beach close to my house I realised that it was too big for a one man treck. I need someting far lighter and smaller to pack away in my backpack.

That said its a solidly built tent that is easy to setup. Keeps the water out in the rain and feels cosy to sleep in. With a little effort and care it can be setup to be quite taught so can take a fair pounding from the wind. It has a very large porch which is great for stowing the backpack.

A good buy for the price but is just too big to be considered a one man affair. For two people minimum.

Coleman Cartridge Butane/Propane Mix
Coleman Cartridge Butane/Propane Mix
Offered by Wow Camping

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 14 Jun. 2011
Used this for a camping trip over the course of three days and it lasted the entire time. Light, easy to stow, quick to use and reliable. Not much more to say. Its a workhorse object.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Jun. 2011
Excellent piece of kit.

Bought this as one of my first camping equipment buys and consider it of tremendous importance. Have only used it once to treat a minor burn and it did a fine job. Comes with bandages, thermometre, plasters, blister plasters, splint setting bandages (triangle), emergency glow stick, scissors, painkillers and lots more.

Could do with a few personal additions for instance a small bottle of clove oil to treat a broken tooth in the field would be a good idea as there is nothing worse than sudden toothache when your in the middle of nowhere.

I pack mine the last thing in case I have an emergency or come across anybody else in need of medical help so last thing packed first thing unpacked.

Tatonka Stainless Steel Mug "S"
Tatonka Stainless Steel Mug "S"

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this., 14 Jun. 2011
This stainless steel cup has been with me on every trip so far on the mountains in Wales and it certainly does its job. Keeps the heat of your drink longer than a normal cup and is of a sturdy build. About the right size for a drink in mid scramble, walk, climb too.

HIGHLANDER LIGHTWEIGHT COOKER GAS STOVE WINDSHIELD NEW
HIGHLANDER LIGHTWEIGHT COOKER GAS STOVE WINDSHIELD NEW
Offered by Funky Leisure

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit fiddly, 14 Jun. 2011
Ive used this quite a few times now and while it does the job of protecting the flame of your cooker from being weakened by the wind, its also fiddly and a bit delicate to setup. Not only that but the pins that hold the panels together are very prone to slip out unnoticed meaning the panels suddenly tend to fall apart.

A good idea and if carefully used will do the job but it certainly doesn't have that tough reliable workhorse feel to it so you get the impression that it won't last for any great period of time and you'll have to replace it at some point.

Good at what it does but too flimsy to be of any long term use.

Emergency Survival: A Pocket Guide: Quick Information for Outdoor Safety
Emergency Survival: A Pocket Guide: Quick Information for Outdoor Safety
by Christopher Van Tilburg

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential kit., 14 Jun. 2011
Bought this and packed it away in the pocket of my first aid kit. Its a small paperback booklet that will stow away anywhere you like. Have read through it a couple of times...it contains good advice on making a shelter, signalling for emergency aircraft, finding and trapping water, basic first aid and setting emergency splints along with lots of helpful and essential tips to help out should an emergency develop. Makes interesting and responsible reading at bedtime in the tent.

Essential kit for sure.