Profile for tularip > Reviews

Content by tularip

Sourcery: (Discworld Novel 5) (Discworld Novels)
Sourcery: (Discworld Novel 5) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately showed a Lacklustre Rincewind, 27 Nov. 2004
Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic remain (combined) as two of my favourites out of the whole discworld series regardless of the fact that many of the others are much more developed. They remain in a special place in my mind largely because of the phenomenal creations that are Rincewind and Twoflower. After COM, I found myself missing them profoundly and felt only at eaze knowing that TLF would also feature my two favourite characters. Needless to say, by the end of TLF I wanted more of Rincewind and Twoflower still. I was delighted to hear that Rincewind makes a comeback in Sourcery.
Everyone knows that an eighth son of an eighth son is a wizard. And ofcourse wizards arent supposed to... you-know. But what if he did? An eighth son of an eighth son of an eigth son is born and a Sourcerer (source of magic)is created. Enter: Coin - the sourcerer who's about to take on the wizards at the Unseen University and take over the world.
Only Rincewind can stop the next potential Mage War so along with a cast of new characters: Conina, Nigel and the Serif (plus a cameo from a suave genie), he sets about (somewhat reluctantly) tackling the situation at hand.
Overall, I'm afraid I was disappointed. I'm not sure if I had too high expectations as I went into reading. There were a few let downs for instance, by the end of TLF, I'd imagined Rincewind to have matured and held his head up a bit more. However in sourcery, he returns as if all that happened in COM and TLF left him unchanged. That lacked authenticity. Also, I'd just finished Mort and when I felt read of Nigel as being gangly and enthusiastic, I imediately thought 'Mort!'. It didnt' help that I didn't find the plot that appealing.
Having said all that, I still ENJOYED reading this book - the only real 'letdown' I've had with any in the series is Equal Rites. Sourcery shines in comparison - the book itself is not bad! It's still funny, the loveable characters are still there (just don't compare too much :D )

The Colour of Magic: The First  Discworld Novel: 1
The Colour of Magic: The First Discworld Novel: 1
by Terry Pratchett

4.0 out of 5 stars Where it all starts!, 27 Nov. 2004
From habit, I like to read series books in order so I started at 'Colour of Magic'. I bought the book rather the borrowed it.
COM is broken up into 4 novelettes. The story is about Rincewind, a cowardly, inept and absolutely endearing character; Twoflower (who is a 'Tourist' - some oddity never before seen on the Disc); and, The Luggage who's a forceful character in it's own rights.
The three of them travel through various places of fantasy on the disc, meeting odd people as they go along.
I must admit the beginning was confusing and difficult to get into since I was yet unaccustomed to Pratchett's writing style. But since I'd paid for the book, I kept to it. Thank Gods I did!
The actual plot is very typical-adventure-fantasy. The settings and stereotypes like the 'hero','scantily-clad heroine' or 'inverse mountain' were all a bit too unnessesarily typical of a fantasy novel. In the later books, Pratchett manages to steer into a genre of his own.
However, what makes this book so fantastic is the characters and their interaction with each other. Rincewind and Twoflower simply bring out the best in each other and their contrasting personalities (pessimist vs. optimist) blend wonderfully. The Luggage adds an extra zing to their relationships.
Evidence of Pratchett's genius is already present. With Twoflower being a tourist, we as readers explore the Disc with him. The tourist representations are hilarious.
I believe that people will only really appreciate this book if they read it before the others. The future novels all feature a better-developed Discworld and readers who turn to COM or The Light Fantastic after those would miss the familiarity.
I truly think that although COM lacks much in direct comparison with some of the later Discworld novels, this is an unfair comparison because COM is different and shows a raw and less developed Discworld. I still think it's one of the best in its own league. It fetches 4/5 stars rather than 5 only because The Light Fantastic (its follow up) tops it by having the slight, extra touch that COM lacked.