Profile for Mike D. > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Homefire Olive Briquettes 10kg Bag
Homefire Olive Briquettes 10kg Bag
Offered by tools247

1.0 out of 5 stars These burn just like charcoal - no substitute for logs., 6 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Homefire Olive Briquettes 10kg Bag
I bought these from CPL, and have burnt them three times in our garden fireplace.
They burn just like charcoal, but with added smoke.
They simply smoulder, produce a lot of smoke, and burn to ash - no sign of flames, or even a red glow.
I'm going back to seasoned logs.

Smatree AE18000 Intelligent Battery Base(18000mAh) for Amazon Echo (Power Your Echo Anywhere) (Black)
Offered by Kumu-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money to go for this 18000mAh rather thn the cheaper 9000mAh version, 17 Jun. 2017
I wanted to be able to play music at the bottom of my garden to accompany summer barbecues. Although I already owned an Echo, I didn't even realise you could get a battery base for it, so I started looking for a decent portable Bluetooth speaker to stream from my phone. However, I'm glad I discovered this device, because it's perfect to maximise use of my Echo.
I went for this 1800mAH one instead of the cheaper 9000mAH version, and I'm glad I did. The battery life easily gets me through 8 - 10 hours of continuous play at pretty high volume, with power in reserve. Just what I needed.
NOTE: The instructions refer to the button on the front as an ON/OFF switch. All it seems to do is toggle the four little blue charging status lights on or off; it doesn't turn the Echo itself off. No problem (I do that by voice anyway), but may be useful to know.
If you just want to move it around the house in between charges, you may find the cheaper 9000mAH one will do the job.
But, for serious wireless partying outdoors, I recommend splashing the extra on this 18000 mAH version so you don't run out of juice.
No hesitation recommending.

Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Plus 10-Inch Tablet - (Puma Black) (Qualcomm Snapdragon 652 Processor, 3 GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC Storage, Android 6.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Android Tablet, innovative design, exceptional battery life., 14 Mar. 2017
I considered both the standard Tab 3 and this Plus model, which I finally decided to go for. I felt the higher screen resolution, better processing power and bigger storage was worth it.
The design is remarkably good - the folding stand makes it so versatile and provides a solid base, yet it's easier to carry than a standard 'slab' design because of the extra grip provided by the 'fat hinge'. And that 'fat hinge' provides a huge bonus, because it houses a battery far larger than you'd get in any conventional 10" tablet. I charge it on a stand in the kitchen overnight, and it's never fallen below 50% battery level yet.
It has a solid, quality feel to it, yet it doesn't feel heavy to carry around because of the grip afforded by the 'fat hinge'.
I think it will be great for travelling with, particularly because of the superb battery life. For £250, I think it's great value.
(Coming from a user of Microsoft Surface, Surface Pro, Asus Android tablet and Acer Windows tablet)

Tale Of Tales [Blu-ray]
Tale Of Tales [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Salma Hayek

5.0 out of 5 stars "As unstructured as a dream" ..., 31 Jan. 2017
This review is from: Tale Of Tales [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
"As unstructured as a dream" is how one of the reviewers here has described this film, and I couldn't have described it better myself.
If you want structure, closure and a fulfilling storyline, you may be disappointed.
But of you've ever had one of those kind of dreams which goes all over the place and you wake up thinking "what a fantastic dream that was", even though it made little logical sense, you will get an idea of how this film plays out.
It is sumptuously filmed, exquisitely scored, and, for the most part, economically acted with some contrasting heightened moments of horror, passion and utter craziness.
Enjoy it for the ride, even if there is no clear destination.
Just like a dream, in fact. The kind of dream that is totally bonkers, but you don't want to wake up.

Mozo Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Qi Wireless Charging Back Cover Case with NFC - Cognac/Silver
Offered by MAG Finland Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Oozes quality ... better than the photo suggests., 27 Sept. 2016
I didn't buy this from Amazon (got it slightly cheaper from a well known auction site), but felt it deserved a review anyway. I didn't actually expect REAL wood ... I thought it would be some smooth, plasticky imitation. But, no, the back surface is REAL wood veneer, with a noticeable tactile grain which has a lovely feel - I can't stop handling it! The black polycarbonate base / edge and the buttons also feel good quality. The power button is noticeably recessed compared to the volume buttons - which I think is an improvement on the original back cover.
I love it unconditionally :-)

LemonBest®12V DC Cast-Aluminum LED Outdoor Landscape Spotlight Fixture Night Garden Lawn Lamp with stand Spiked, Warm White, Pack of 2,
Offered by Tensee02

4.0 out of 5 stars Five stars for the spotlights - but spikes NOT included, 7 Aug. 2016
The spotlights are great - bright, warm white, ideal for connecting to an existing 12v garden circuit. They feel quality, with aluminium casing (not plastic).
However, I knocked a star off because the ground spikes shown in the picture were NOT included in my shipment.
I still think they are good value without the spikes (I didn't need them anyway, because I was fixing to a post), but suggest that the seller explains their absence in the description.
I would happily buy again.

Kennington Oval Teak 2 Seater Garden Bench - 4ft Garden Bench - Jati Brand, Quality & Value - Jati Brand, Quality & Value
Offered by Jati

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, great price, very efficient delivery, 3 Aug. 2016
We already have a teak bench which has been in our family for over 40 years and is still going strong. We wanted another one for a different position in the garden. This Jati bench is even higher quality than our original, which has the seat slats secured by visible brass screws.
The Jati bench has absolutely NO visible screws, with all main joints being a combination of mortise and tenon and teak dowelled. The joints are tight, it's rock solid and beautifully finished. All teak benches which I've seen in garden centres have been either inferior construction (visible screws) or carrying a £250+ price tag. It's also very heavy - no cutting corners by using thinner cross sections of teak.
Delivery was exemplary - I received a phone call to arrange and the driver delivered exactly when agreed (7am!).
There's no self assembly - it looks and feels like a craftsman-built piece of furniture, with absolutely no DIY involved.
It's one of those items that's a joy to own, and I'm sure will become a future family heirloom.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Set of Six Stainless Steel Garden Sphere's 2, 3.5 & 5cm
Set of Six Stainless Steel Garden Sphere's 2, 3.5 & 5cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Check that these are the size you want!, 14 July 2016
Check that these are the size you want!
Some people have rated these low because they are "too small". But their size is clearly stated in both the title and the description:
"Set contains 2 x 2 , 3.5 & 5 cm spheres".
If you don't know what that means, the biggest is just 2" diameter, and the smallest is about 3/4".
I bought them to get a 5cm sphere to replace one in a water feature, and it works fine (it needs to be small and light so that it rotates as the water flows out from beneath it).
They also look attractive placed around a candle as a table centrepiece.
I bought one set from elsewhere a while ago, and have just ordered a second set from Amazon.

Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox One)
Star Wars Battlefront (Xbox One)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a great, immersive Star Wars romp ... nothing more, nothing less., 2 May 2016
Now the price has dropped under £30, I decided to take the plunge.
I've been following the reviews, and it's interesting that the initial reviews were mainly 1 - 3 stars, but the later ones are mostly 5 stars.
I think that's because, initially, many seasoned gamers were expecting this to be something it isn't.
What is it? It's an immersive romp through the Star Wars universe with great graphics and sound.
What isn't it? It's not about deep, tactical warfare with complex campaigns.
It's more like being in an interactive a movie.
If anybody out there can remember the old Rebel Assault on PC, it recreates that kind of feel.
On that basis, it's great.

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL 5.7 inch 32 GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL 5.7 inch 32 GB SIM-Free Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumia 950XL: Slick, Smooth, Uncomplicated. And it takes brilliant photos, too!, 8 Jan. 2016
I'm a long-time Lumia owner (my last two phones were a 1520 and a 640). My experience with the 950XL so far has been fantastic. Plenty of other positive reviewers have covered the basics of use, but I just wanted to summarise a few additional points from my experience:
1: It seems that the minority of negative reviewers were experiencing the phone before the slew of updates which have been released over the last couple of weeks. Problems with battery life, random restarts etc simply don't exist any more.
2: If you're considering the 950 instead of the 950XL because you think the XL might be too big, think again. I used to own a 1520 which was a big, bulky beast. The 950XL's screen is only slightly smaller than the 1520 (5.7" instead of 6"), but the phone itself is considerably smaller and lighter. The extra screen space over the 950 is, in my opinion, well worth paying the extra £40 for (plus you get an 8 core processor instead of six core, and a higher capacity battery), its overall size isn't much bigger than the 950, and it only weighs 15g more. It feels just right in my hand.
3: APPS! People always seem to say "there aren't enough apps for Windows Phone". The thing that many people seem to miss is that, because you can pin a live tile to ANY webpage on the home screen, you can use the mobile web version of software without needing a dedicated app. Facebook is a prime example - just pin www.facebook.com to your home screen and you have the full-fat version of facebook, without any need for an app. That's just one example. Why clog up your phone storage with separate apps when a pinned tile to a website will get the job done just as easily? In practice, I've found no apps that I miss that can't be easily substituted by pinning a webpage instead.
4: The polycarbonate back is great. It's durable, it takes knocks without damage and you don't need to fit an extra cover to protect it (although you can exchange the back for one of those sexy Mozo backs if you want). And most people who buy a phone with a 'premium' metal chassis seem to end up covering it with a plastic case anyway!
5: Native wireless charging. Once you've experienced it, having to plug a phone in to charge it seems medieval!
6: Microsoft is currently offering a FREE pre-order of the display dock ('shipping March') with this phone. Just open the pre-installed 'Lumia Offers' app and follow the instructions. The list price of the dock is over £70, so that's worth having :-)
This is a slick, smooth, uncomplicated phone which is a pleasure to use.
And the camera REALLY IS as good as most reviewers are saying.
Highly recommended.