Profile for M. Dalgleish > Reviews

Content by M. Dalgleish

M. Dalgleish (Oxford, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
May It Please Your Lordship
May It Please Your Lordship

3.0 out of 5 stars Could try harder, 15 Feb. 2015
The other book by this author No Hold Barred is much better.

The Meaning of Human Existence
The Meaning of Human Existence

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Feb. 2015
It's the equivalent of a juicy T-bone steak in literature. Buy it.

Roberts RD21B(ECO4) Ecologic 4 DAB/FM RDS Digital Stereo Radio wth up to 150 Hours Battery Life - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful - high failure rates inside warranty period and high repair costs, 15 Feb. 2015
I have no doubt this is a good radio whilst it is working. All the other reviews are accurate as far as I can see. In my case my Roberts failed completely (on/off button failed) after 15 months. I spoke to Roberts but they refused to honour the 1 year warranty, even though the unit had a minor fault recorded earlier, advising me a cost of £45 plus postage to fix. No point, better off with a new radio. I think any decent electronic device should last at least a few years, ideally much more than that. I guess they have a lot of failures - otherwise they would offer a reasonable guarantee. I reckon they have a real quality problem. As an ex electronics engineer I know solid state electronics when properly designed has no 'wear out' and should last forever more or less.

I have had 4 Roberts radios over the years and every single one has failed. I am a retired careful user so its not my fault.

If you must buy one, consider John Lewis; they offer a 2 year guarantee. I suggest if you have any fault at all, you return it inside the two years.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, resulted in a fast 110Mbytes/sec transfer speed ..., 31 Jan. 2015
Great product, resulted in a fast 110Mbytes/sec transfer speed to my WD external Elements USB3 Hard Disk. Nice well built card. But documentation in German and nothing else! Nothing on the CSL Website. Guys: Could it be so hard to include English in the box or on the website?

Here is what I did: Installed the card (with the power supply attachment included in the box). Switch back on. Windows reports after about a minute it can't find the driver. Close that window. Then run the program "EXE/RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-30230-setup" which is included on a small CD-ROM in the product. That's it.

I've given it 5 stars which it deserves, but please, add English to the documentation.

Elgato Smart Key, Connect your key to your iPhone (Bluetooth Smart), black
Elgato Smart Key, Connect your key to your iPhone (Bluetooth Smart), black
Offered by PoWoW

4.0 out of 5 stars I found a different use. I work part-time in ..., 14 Nov. 2014
I found a different use. I work part-time in 2 locations and wanted a way to record my times at each place of work. I have one tag at each workplace and the Elgato App on my iPhone effortlessly records my time of arrival and departure. I found it very reliable in doing that.

Thorntons Premium Collection 383 g
Thorntons Premium Collection 383 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Belgium Quality Chocolates at a good price, 31 Dec. 2013
Belgium Quality Chocolates at a good price. Really beautiful quality and nicely presented. This larger size box is good value. Recommended.

A Relation of a Short Survey of 26 Counties: Observed in a Seven Weeks Journey Begun On August 11, 1634
by Leopold George Wickham Legg

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Printing of good quality, 31 Dec. 2013
The Short Survey of 1604 was reprinted with editing and notes by LG Wickham Legg. This appears to be a print-on-demand paperback with a nice original cover.It is a reproduction of copy 106 (of 350 copies printed in 1904) from Harvard College Library. Quality is good throughout with quite a large font size. My only complaint would be that the map prepared by Mr R P Dunn-Pattison of Magdalen College for the 1904 publication has not been opened up for the scanning process and therefore is largely missing. The publishers might correct this if they read this review. I imagine the Bodleian Library will hold a copy for Oxford based readers.

UHF TV Signal Finder
UHF TV Signal Finder
Offered by etailz UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for Signal Strength Measurement, 21 Dec. 2013
This review is from: UHF TV Signal Finder (Electronics)
Having used other units, I found this to be the best. The LEDs are very effective, the user guide is written in good English, and the On-Off switch clearly marked - the later point saves battery life. On the downside, you need a male to male lead to insert the device between the TV and the aerial, since it has two female connections. Also it will not tell you which channels are weak or strong; in my case one chanel (35) is much weaker than the others (all 60+); but I used the signal strength menu on my Humax to fine tune my signal settings. You could use a bandpass filter I guess to deal with than point; search for "bandpass filter" on Amazon. I would buy this unit again.

Olympus VN-713PC Voice Recorder - 4GB Flash Memory, WMA/MP3, Black
Olympus VN-713PC Voice Recorder - 4GB Flash Memory, WMA/MP3, Black
Offered by MAGIC BOUTIQUE

2.0 out of 5 stars Mobile Phone Interference, 12 July 2013
This is a nice recorder as the other reviews here report. However, the device seems very sensitive to mobile phone signal noise. In my application to record bird songs, unless I put the mobile phone (an iPhone in my case) at least 2 metres away, it introduces a nasty cyclic noise whenever a call commences or every now and then as the phone communicates with the base station. One must switch all phones off within at least 2 metres. (I use the device in high sensitivity mode.) The problem is worse with a remote mic which seems to act as an antenna. For that reason alone, I have had to give the recorder 2 stars, which is severe, but it would ruin some potential applications as it does mine. An older recorder (Sony ICD-ST25) does not have the problem at all.

G-HUB Nexus 4 RED Bumper Case Frames for LG E960 Nexus 4 Smart Phone - Includes BONUS: G-HUB ProPen Stylus
Offered by G-Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Good Supplier, 8 Jun. 2013
Fits the Nexus very well, and although I have not dropped the phone (yet), it looks as though it will provide good protection. My grandson Oliver has yet to manage to break it! Fits on securely, but is easy enough to take off for SIM access. The controls work well although firmer that usual through the special rubber panels. The supplier is very helpful and receptive to comments. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4