Profile for Anna Buttimore > Reviews

Content by Anna Buttimore

Anna Buttimore "SunnyAnnie" (Essex, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Jane Austen Lives Again
Jane Austen Lives Again
by Jane Odiwe

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a better editor, 4 Jun. 2017
An odd book. The story, though rather contrived and cliched, was at least interesting, but I'm not sure why our heroine needed to be Jane Austen come back to life, except to sell the book to Jane Austen fans on false pretences. It could have been a perfectly good novel without that strange (and underexpained) facet.

Jane Austen fans will be terribly disappointed. Jane Austen wrote beautiful prose, but this is pretty basic and bland and there are some grammatical errors and cringeworthy lines.

For me, though, the worst part was the constant point-of-view shifting. If I'd submitted this book to my editor she'd have sent it back with huge chunks crossed out and "POV" in red in the margin. With good reason. Shifting POV is really confusing for the reader and completely disrupts the flow of the story, and should only be done if there's a scene or chapter break. In this story I was exclusively Jane for the first few chapters, then suddenly I was Mae on a motorbike, and then I was Jane again, and then Alice thinking about a lost love... So bizarre and confusing. Of course, it's possible that the scene breaks didn't work on the Kindle version. [Edit: At book club I was able to look at the paperback. There were no scene breaks, and others found it as difficult and distracting as I did.]

Overall, a passably good story (think 'Jane Austen novel set in Downton Abbey') but not brilliantly written and with some major writing mistakes.

Edit to add: We discussed this book in Rayleigh Vineyard Book Club on Sunday 11th June. We felt that it wasn't brilliantly written, but that the idea of having each of the girls represent one of Jane Austen's characters was fun, as was the way scenes from some of her novels were reflected. The idea that Jane Austen herself had come back to life wasn't properly examined, and was something of a red herring in the plot. Overall we gave it 5/10 so I have changed my score to reflect this. However, most of us in attendance gave it between 2 and 4 and the score was raised by one person in the group who really enjoyed it and gave it a 7.

A Lawyer's Guide to Wellbeing and Managing Stress
A Lawyer's Guide to Wellbeing and Managing Stress
by Angus Lyon

5.0 out of 5 stars Every lawyer should read this, 14 Mar. 2017
A thorough and comprehensive examination of the unique stresses which affect lawyers, with some really practical suggestions on how to manage them. I particularly liked the idea of "pre-hab", and the easy and approachable tone.

The Heart Has Its Reasons
The Heart Has Its Reasons
by Kerry Blair

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 27 Feb. 2017
One of my favourite books ever. Light, funny, but also deeply moving.

The Last Kind Words Saloon
The Last Kind Words Saloon

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful book, 13 Feb. 2017
Disjointed, incoherent, no real story, characters which disappear just when it looks as though they might start to be interesting, and the most exciting thing that happens in it is something everyone already knows about anyway. Utter waste of my money.

Kellogg's Chocolate Cornflakes 375G
Kellogg's Chocolate Cornflakes 375G

5.0 out of 5 stars Best. Cereal. Ever., 13 Feb. 2017
Just the most utterly delicious cereal ever invented. I was so disappointed when they were discontinued, but then they came back ... and now they seem to have gone again. Come on Kellogg's, get your act together!

The Book of Mormon
The Book of Mormon
by Joseph, Jr. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the fainthearted, 24 Jan. 2017
This review is from: The Book of Mormon (Paperback)
Although it's not an easy book to read, and there are rather too many unpleasant and graphic accounts of war and conflict for my taste, there truly are some treasures in this book. Its epic sweep showcases the rise and fall of several civilisations, and it contains important lessons about leadership, law and learning the lessons of the past. There are also some real gems of inspiration along the way, and some characters whose behaviour is a fascinating study in psychology. Pahoran and Moroni's letters, for example, are really interesting in showing how one person can make assumptions, but the other can be gracious.

Whatever you believe about this book and its origins, it is worth reading carefully and thoughtfully.

Scream if You Want to Run FASTER
Scream if You Want to Run FASTER

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 24 Jan. 2017
I'm a plus-sized runner myself, and was given this book in exchange for a review. It's easy to read and very personal - you learn a lot about Julie's journey and experiences - but that was great because I know she has the same struggles and challenges as me.

It's packed with encouragement, girl-power and tips. Some were original and some less so, but the ones I have tried have worked, and it does get you thinking about what is important in your running.

I didn't give it five stars because I have a policy of reviewing honestly, and while I liked it, it's not Vanity Fair or The Kite Runner. I save five stars for books which are truly life-changing.

Your Running Diary, Running Activity Tracker, Run Record Log Journal, Run 11
Your Running Diary, Running Activity Tracker, Run Record Log Journal, Run 11
Offered by Fitness & Wellbeing

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, 31 Dec. 2016
It's kind-of a homemade/printed thing, not the glossy and professional book I was expecting, but it does the job and for the price it's fine.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2017 12:06 AM GMT

Fitbit Charge 2 Heart Rate and Fitness Wristband
Fitbit Charge 2 Heart Rate and Fitness Wristband
Price: £109.70 - £240.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful device, which really does help me focus on ..., 31 Dec. 2016
Wonderful device, which really does help me focus on my fitness goals and works smoothly and intuitively. I would also suggest anyone can buy with confidence - Fitbit's customer service is excellent. When my 18-month-old ChargeHR stopped working Fitbit swiftly and politely replaced it.

Skipping Christmas: Christmas with The Kranks
Skipping Christmas: Christmas with The Kranks

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely Christmas read, 12 Dec. 2016
Not the usual John Grisham, but a light and fun book which encapsulates both the spirit of Christmas and the ridiculousness of the commercialism. A great book to read in December.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8