Profile for Bella > Reviews

Getting Over the X
Getting Over the X
by Tony Horne

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read!, 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Getting Over the X (Hardcover)
This is an exceptionally well-written book. I had always been a fan of Steve's, especially 10 years ago. I knew he had been treated appallingly by the XFactor judges and had got into a dispute over a second album and money with Simon Cowell and his agency, but learning the extent of this has left me sad and angry.

People have portrayed Steve as being bitter and revengeful, but I don't sense this from the book. Instead I hear a man who has been badly mistreated and let down, trying to put the record straight.

Steve has an incredibly soulful voice, one of the best to ever come from this country. We should be celebrating and valuing that, not adding to the hype.

Steve has spoken sensitively about his own adolescent trauma, acting as a role model, I believe, for people who have gone through similar things. (As a psychotherapist I feel I can say this with conviction.)

Great colloboration too to Tony Horne, ghost writer. A job really well done.

A very Corporate Affair Book 1: Volume 1 (The Corporate Series)
A very Corporate Affair Book 1: Volume 1 (The Corporate Series)
by D A Latham

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody fabulous!, 18 July 2013
I cannot tell you how impressed I was in reading this book. I could hardly put it down and had red eyes at work the next morning on many occasions, having made myself read just one more chapter! The characters are very believable and likeable, even the dastardly Oscar ;) I can see this being made into a series for TV. Well done, D Latham, I am awaiting patiently the arrival of book 2 from Amazon. :)

The beauty and the blonde: The beauty and the blonde
The beauty and the blonde: The beauty and the blonde
by D A Latham

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 22 April 2013
I have really enjoyed this book by D A Latham. The story is told from both sides, which adds to the intrigue.

The sex scenes are well done, naughty but not tacky-a rare find in this sort of chick-lit.

I look forward to more writing from Ms Latham.

Kisses On The Bottom (Deluxe Edition Digipack)
Kisses On The Bottom (Deluxe Edition Digipack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still fab!, 6 Feb. 2012
People may roll there eyes or say that McCartney is "pulling a Rod Stewart" with this release but it is nothing of the sort. The types of songs he is singing on the album are more likely to bring to mind the roaring 20's and the 30's than the 50's or 60's. This kind of music has been in his blood since his childhood and can be heard in Beatles classics such as "Honey Pie" and "When I'm Sixty-Four" and Wings songs such as "You Gave Me The Answer" and "Baby's Request". (a version of this song is a bonus track on the album) McCartney is in very fine voice on this album, the best I've heard from him in a while actually. Some people may say, "But his voice isn't as good as it was when he was younger!" but for a nearly 70 year old man who has been recording for almost 50 years it is quite remarkable! Diane Krall and her band do a brilliant job on this album as do the contributions from Eric Clapton and Stevie Wonder.

He gives a great sense of emotion to the songs and if you like this type of music performed with integrity and an understanding of the songs pick this up! Just be warned that this is not Paul's usual pop/rock album fare. I'll leave you with this quote from the great music producer Quincy Jones on this album:

"The songs Paul chose for Kisses on the Bottom are songs I've heard and loved since I was a kid. I sat with Paul backstage at the first concert of his recent tour and had the privilege of listening to the entire record. These are some of the best songs ever written, and it takes a very special talent to bring them to light. Paul didn't bring 1/8th notes with him to these songs; he knows how to swing like the old school or Sinatra used to say, "he's in the pocket." There is simply no artist today who has the credibility, grace, and depth of character that Paul has. Our 49-year-relationship goes back to before The Beatles came to America and I love that Paul has taken the time to do this album. I've heard a lot of records covering these songs, but none of them have the authenticity that Paul's has." Quincy Jones.

The Smile Sessions
The Smile Sessions
Offered by Squirrelsounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget these recent reviews! This release is fantastic!, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Smile Sessions (Audio CD)
I was surprised to look at the reviews here and see bad to average ratings being given recently! It seems to me these people aren't the target audience this project is aimed at and expected something similar to Barbara Ann or their earlier surfing songs! If you a big fan of and The Beach Boys and/or psychedelic albums in general (Sgt Pepper, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn) this release is essential! I have only been a Beach Boys fan for two years and I am only 17 but there have been fans waiting for this release to come out since 1967! The music has been available in the form of bootlegs for many years but usually with bad sound quality. The music although somewhat incomplete (Brian Wilson had a break down before he could finish the project) is fantastic and anyone who thinks of the Beach Boys as a lame band that only sings old car and surf songs should take a good listen to Surfs Up, Wonderful or Heroes and Villains!

This deserves five stars for the packaging and sound quality alone which is miles better than any of the bootlegs! The music is some of the best I have ever heard and deserves to rub shoulders with the likes of Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper. I would say to make sure that people realise however that parts of the music is incomplete, (You would never know though listening to the main album!) and that the tracklisting is based on the Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE version from 2004, despite this it really does suit the music down to a tee which should really be listened in full from Our Prayer to Good Vibrations! Also the music just has a great somewhat eery vibe which you just can't get from the more recent replica version which although similar and more complete just doesn't compare to the original with Brian Wilson and the rest of the Beach Boys voices in great shape and the sound of studio musicians, the Wrecking Crew! Anyway I would say to make sure to pick this album if you are a big Beach Boy fan but just be aware that this isn't the type of music they are known for making and that it doesn't have the amount of polish that a finished album would have but getting down to it is just fantastic somewhat weird music to listen to!

ER: Complete Seasons 1-15 [DVD] [2009]
ER: Complete Seasons 1-15 [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ George Clooney

1.0 out of 5 stars sadly, many discs unplayable, 17 April 2011
I, like many others, it would seem, was delighted to purchase the entire series at such a low price. I was a bit cheesed off when I found that one of the discs on season 2 was blank, but decided to persevere. When at least one disc on all subsequent seasons skipped and were unplayable, I decided enough was enough and sent the box set back. I got a full refund very quickly from Amazon, but I feel quite bereft! Hopefully things will be put right, as Amazon took the offer off the market temporarily last week.