Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Discover more Shop now
Profile for Mr. A. Mcgregor > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. Mcgregor

Mr. A. Mcgregor "Alex" (Devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Philips SHQ1200/10 ActionFit Sweatproof Ultra Light Sports Headphones - In-Ear (New for 2013)
Offered by Smithy07

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for what they are, 29 Mar. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Philips SHQ1200 headphones are bright orange semi-waterproof headphones designed for sports. While the colour isn't going to be to everybodys taste, I use them to go running and when I go after dark they certainly don't hurt with visibility on roads. I've found them to be a comfortable fit and they don't seem to be prone to coming out as much as other earphones. The sound won't amaze you, but to be fair for any earphones in this price range I think that's to be expected. These headphones were obviously designed for sports, and for that they are of great quality and fantastic value.

Albert of Adelaide
Albert of Adelaide
by Howard L. Anderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected and strange, yet in the end quite refreshing, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Albert of Adelaide (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As other reviewers have pointed, Albert of Adelaide is not a kids book. What it is is a colourful tale about talking marsupials which caught me totally by surprise. The writing is different, and Anderson paints vivid pictures of vast Australian landscapes and dark yet somehow comic characters. The story goes at a reasonable pace throughout, though one or two chapters did perhaps drag just a little. Albert of Adelaide isn't for everyone, and I can fully understand how some people have been put off by it. I personally enjoyed the book and regardless of your opinion about the story, Albert of Adelaide is one of the few books that dares to be different and for that reason alone I recomend giving it a go.

Sim City (PC DVD)
Sim City (PC DVD)
Offered by Arancia Eoutlet

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but not terrible, 9 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Sim City (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
After enduring days of server problems I have now had enough time with Sim City to start several new cities. Starting the game even now, isn't completely trouble free. There are still occasional server problems (though they seem to be much rarer) and it is sometimes difficult to find a region to join with free cities. When you do start though, you're faced with nice graphics, and good tutorial to get you started and wide variety of ways to develop your city and region. If you decide to mine you can make huge ammounts of money from raw materials, if you'd prefer tourism you can build a convention center and schedule events to draw the crowds. I've really enjoyed building up cities... until I came up to my biggest grip with the game, the limited size of the cities. While this does encourage you to be much more careful with city planning, I would have like them to be just a little bigger.

For all the problems Sim City has had I do enjoy the game. I've had half my city on fire because of a meteor shower and succesfully rebuilt, I've been up to my eyeballs in debt and still turned it around and had a monster attacking a city I spent hours building. There have been moments where I've wanted uninstall it and throw it away, but in the end I'm glad I didn't and for all its flaws I still find myself playing SIm City a lot.

AVES Aqua Portable Bluetooth Speaker w/ Noise-reduction Mic Handsfree Phone Kit in Black
Offered by eHome

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 24 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very small and compact speaker, the Aves Aqua is also very light which 'feels' like the build quality isn't that high, but on the other hand it also makes it great for carrying around. The speaker is easy to use with a good manual, and connection to both my laptop and phone was easy via blootooth, but connection via jack lead is also possible, though the cable isn't provided. For anybody that wants better sound out of their phone this speaker is ideal, but it didn't make enough of a difference to my laptop in order to warrant the purchase.

Medal of Honor Warfighter (Xbox 360)
Medal of Honor Warfighter (Xbox 360)
Offered by Excess Gaming

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 24 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The First Person Shooter Market has been filled with good quality games for years with the Call of Duty and Halo fanchises just two of many. MOH Warfighter was therefore always going to have a tough task to stand out from the crowd, and while it isn't a poor game it certainly does not stand out. MOH has decent enough graphics and gameplay, the multiplayer is solid but nothing special. The storyline isn't any good but in my opinion that's no different to any other FPS. The trouble is that there is absolutley nothing to make MOH stand out, and with certain other franchise seemingly releasing games every few month that are better, I find it difficult to really recommend this.

Construction Simulator (PC CD)
Construction Simulator (PC CD)
Offered by DVDGAMING DIRECT

3.0 out of 5 stars A novelty but no more, 16 Feb. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Construction Simulator is in some respects a very ambitious game. Rather than simulating one type of vehicle it simulates quite a large variety. You'll start small; just a small 'firm' on small contruction projects, and as your experience increases so does the size of the projects and the vehicles. The premise is good and it is satisfying enough completing a project. But sadly the gameplay gets repitive too quickly, and there just isn't enough of a challenge to keep anyone interested for any more than a few hours.

Forever In October
Forever In October

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but otherwise poor, 19 Jan. 2013
Forever in October is a gutsy attempt at a writing style that I haven't seen too often. It is quirky and perhaps even adds humor to what is otherwise a very dark story. The premise is fairly simple, I young guy seemingly going nowhere ends up in a town that is 'forever stuck in October', and he is unable to leave it. There were parts of this book that I thought were very good but there weren't nearly enough of them and the rest, well frankly I'm not sure where to begin.

I read the book on my Kobo e-reader and, this version at least, was clearly not proof read. Not only were there many terrible spelling mistakes, but the grammar was awful, even punctuation was frequently wrong. I have read pre-release versions of books before they have been proof read, but this has been released yet it was worse than anything I've ever read; when you're having to re-read things because things like speech marks in the wrong place it is incredibly frustrating.

Ignoring the errors, you still get holes in the story which itself I felt was massively underdeveloped and was very short- this book to me was more of a short story than a full sized book. For me more time could have been spent developing the characters and the town itself, which is described in very little detail.

Despite all my comments, I do feel this author shows some promise. The story was creative and there were aspects of the writing I enjoyed. But honestly, I really don't think this book should have been released in its current form.

Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD)
Civilization V - Game Of The Year Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A great game, 6 Jan. 2013
I am one of those that's played Civilization from the very beginning and have owned every version since the first. I've owned Civ 5 since shortly after its release but have waited some time to review it and I'm glad I did. First impression show a polished layout and a very good interface- probably the most user friendly of Civilization yet. The graphics also are miles ahead of previous games. There are many changes in the game mechanics since Civ 4; no religion or espionage, no unit stacking, and hex tiles to name but a few. While in some respects Civ 5 limits the depth of strategy offered in previous games, in other respects it expands it.

For me Civ 4 was probably my favorite game ever, and it took me a while to get used to the massive changes in Civ 5. But it has been worth it.

ArmA 2 (PC DVD)
ArmA 2 (PC DVD)
Offered by Soprano Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging but fun, 23 Dec. 2012
This review is from: ArmA 2 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
ARMA 2 is a realistic war simulation that in many ways is a sequel to the Operation Flashpoint series a few years ago. There are several game modes and while the main campaign is story driven, it is set in a massive open world which easily rivals the likes of Grand Theft Auto in terms of both scale and the number and variety of vehicles that the player can use. On top of the campaign there are a number of single missions that can be played with more that can be downloaded, an 'Armory' mode where you take control of a soldier/ vehicle completing a variety of interesting challenges to score points, which in turn unlock more of the vehicles and weapons for use in this mode. There is also a powerful mission editor. All modes feature intelligent AI; it isn't scripted and reacts to the players actions.

The campaign is challenging. Most combat is at long range, from nearly the start you always need to be aware of your terrain, always trying to think ahead. The unscripted AI ensures that if you go back to a saved game to try to do something different, the results are often very different to what you might expect. It is also very believable, the realism offered in the game has often held my attention for hours. The only problem with the campaign is it is sometimes buggy, and when you have to go back to the beginning of a mission because of one it is very very frustrating.

The single missions were surprisingly diverse, and one in particular which isn't a 'single' mission per se, but almost a game by itself. You play as a resistance fighter and by completing objectives you get money, with which you can buy soldiers, equipment and base defences.

AMRA 2 will start you as an infantry soldier, but you'll soon take command, drive HUMVEEs and tanks and even fly helicopters and aircraft. There is a mind boggling variety of things to do. It is NOT Call of Duty. But while it is described as a simulator, a lot of fun can still be had from ARMA 2.

The Panther (John Corey)
The Panther (John Corey)
by Nelson DeMille

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent read, 22 Nov. 2012
There are two things that struck me about The Panther in comparison to other thrillers I've read; first was the pace which at times was much slower than other books I've read, the second was the humor- something that I have rarely come across to such an extent in this kind of book.

While the pace of the story right up to perhaps two thirds of the way through the book is slow, it doesn't really detract from the story and there is plenty to keep you interested.

The protagonist of the book John Corey, is an interesting character. He is painted by DeMille as one of those 'plays by his own rules' type character who is always up for a joke. Some of the jokes are perhaps pushing the boundaries of stereotyping, however given the content of the book I do not feel this is unjustified. The shear volume of these jokes did did at times get a little tedious however, but again its wasn't enough to really put me off.

So The Panther is a decent read. The reason I am giving only three stars is that for me, it wasn't a great read. While DeMille does have an interesting style of writing, the story itself was pretty run-of-the-mill stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16