Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for J. Berglund > Reviews

Content by J. Berglund

J. Berglund (London)

Bonfire Of The Brands: How I Learnt to Live Without Labels: How I Learned to Live Without Labels
by Neil Boorman

5.0 out of 5 stars witty and thought-provoking, 13 Sept. 2007
Before I read this, I would have said that it would be impossible to lead a brand-free existence (even supermarket own-brand is a brand?), but Neil Boorman seems to have actually done it - right down to making his own toothpaste.

I also needed some persuading to the idea that brands are bad. Surely they just help us make decisions about what to buy? But Neil's painfully honest confessions about how he obsessed over labels has made me question why I buy the things I do ... and made me realise that most of it is a waste of money. We're being sold an unattainable dream rather than a product.

If you're a fan of Alain De Botton's books you'll enjoy the similar way in which Boorman takes complicated ideas (in this case about branding and marketing) and makes them easily understandable - without ever dumbing down.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has ever spent over £100 on an item of basic clothing (jeans, trainers, handbags..) - you'll laugh-out loud with recognition of brand-anxiety that Neil describes.