Profile for M. Beton > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Blue Castle
The Blue Castle

5.0 out of 5 stars Yessss Valancy, 31 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Blue Castle (Kindle Edition)
Delightful - nothing so cathartic as waiting for Valancy to lose it completely with her relatives, and then actually do so.

The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood Book 1)
The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but a bit of a let down, 31 Mar. 2016
Maybe two stars is a bit unfair, it's an okay book. In fact, I read it quite happily in two sittings. But it's a flimsy book.

If you're thinking of reading it then you might as well - you will probably enjoy it, but it's the sort of book that you put down and instantly start seeing the flaws with. The magic is left very open-ended which leaves a lot of room for sudden convenience but I found it disappointing - it starts as an interesting concept and then is wasted rather than fleshed out, as if the author lost interest in his initial idea and just took it in whichever direction he felt like.

My main problems were the the characters and setting. It starts well, the Abbey that Lia grows up in has a lot of colour initially, the characters are a good cast. Then it never really goes anywhere which is a complete waste. Lia cries a lot because everything is very painful, but you never feel that yourself, you just read that she cried just as dispassionately as the author seems to have written it. She's just not a realistic thirteen/fourteen year old girl - she's not even a realistic person. She's been brought up in a highly disciplined environment and marked out as fairly insignificant from the point of being taken on as a foundling but it's like she knows she's a fantasy novel protagonist - she has an unrealistic amount of certainty and self-assurance for someone that sheltered. I'm inexplicably bothered by a conversation she has with Dearden (or whatever he's called) as well: why does she ask him about his women and then throw him a teasing smile?...I don't get it. I just don't get it. It's such a small thing, but it's one of many - Lia makes no sense and her interactions with other people make no sense and it really winds me up.

***SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT***

Really, she should never have left the Abbey, it would have been a much better book. Then I wouldn't have had to try and work out why The Medium favours those with a huge amount of self-confidence. Not people who have self-doubts but faith in The Medium, which would make sense, but people who aren't afraid and aren't jealous and know they're wonderful but still have no pride. Maybe this was why Lia was a flat character, although having said that she had apparent jealousy and pride, but we were nonetheless expected to believe she is not only perfect but also secretly a member of the deserving aristocracy. And the king needed deposing because he was evil. Did we ever see this evil? No, actually, apart from the sheriff, and His Majesty cannot personally guarantee the moral rectitude of all of his numerous employees, can he? Did the owners of The Pilgrim Inn ever receive bodily harm? Apparently not, which is pretty forgiving for a despot. When he finally appears in the book (briefly) he's a frightened and self-doubting ruler, which still doesn't really convince me that the pure-of-heart teenage protagonist should feel no remorse for dispatching him.

I dunno. It was kind of enjoyable, but writing this review has made me realise how much latent rage I have over this book. It promised much and delivered little. My time would have been better spent watching Luke Skywalker again instead of reading Lia Cook, because Lia is cut from the same cloth of orphan destiny with nothing new to offer.

An undefined plot is fine for a George R. R. Martin style book, but this one comes across as a hero's epic with a destiny slant and it would have benefited from more coherency. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it needs a balance - the plot needs to be less predictable but it also needs to have an obvious direction. It really got it wrong in both senses for me.

The Master Magician (The Paper Magician Series Book 3)
The Master Magician (The Paper Magician Series Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but flat, 3 Aug. 2015
I'm wavering between three stars and four stars. I think four.

I really like it, I like the whole series, but honestly, the main character at one point had me screaming at my kindle, putting the kindle down before I did some damage, pacing around the room saying 'why would you do that?!' before I gained a measure of self control and sat down calmly again. I think there was a slight lack of realism which made it a bit hard to sympathise with her at moments.

I think all three books could have been better with more work put into them. I don't doubt that the author did put a lot of work in, but they need more flesh and more polish. If they're a first series though then top marks, they're a fantastic idea which I believe just needed more editing. Could definitely do without the American references when it is set in (fictional, but undeniably) England.

One final thing I've just remembered: the blood/paper magic at the end of the first book - why is that never fully explained?

Tomlinson: Orchestral Works
Tomlinson: Orchestral Works
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Aug. 2015
This has turned me into an Ernest Tomlinson fan.

Beyond The Veil: A Muse Urban Fantasy (The Veil Series Book 1)
Beyond The Veil: A Muse Urban Fantasy (The Veil Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cuppa, 3 Aug. 2015
The writing is okay, but I found it really boring. The characters were flat and after a while it became clear that the plot would consist of the main character spending time with man A and man B alternately. There was a finale, which happened. It passed the time on my train journey, I suppose.

(Why incorrectly spell the word 'scalded' so many times? This story needed a thorough editing.)

Ghastly Business
Ghastly Business

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and a bit horrifying, 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Ghastly Business (Kindle Edition)
I had to take a break part of the way through this because after laughing for half of it I was suddenly horrified by some of the frank gore, but this is my fault for being a wet blanket. The murders and the taking-sexual-advantage-of are a slap in the face after the sly, entertaining writing style, which makes it work beautifully.

Not quite sure I understand the main character's choice at the end though.

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book 1)
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Purple prose, 10 Mar. 2015
If you like young tortured demon-hunter love and one-per-page descriptions of the main characters' hair colours then this is the book for you.

It's not bad, it just...wastes a lot of its potential.

The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time
The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but slow, 10 Mar. 2015
I would have loved this book if it didn't drag so much, but nothing happens and the characters weren't particularly interesting. It must appeal to hardcore fans of this brand of fantasy, but I read it just after The Blade Itself and (I know it's unfair to compare, but) it was very bland in comparison.

The Perpetual Astonishment of Jonathon Fairfax
The Perpetual Astonishment of Jonathon Fairfax

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking book, 10 Mar. 2015
This is so funny, I can't believe I'd never heard of it before

Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London 5)
Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London 5)
by Ben Aaronovitch

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, Ben, 10 Mar. 2015
Flesh-eating unicorns. Read it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4