Profile for Martin Jagos > Reviews

Content by Martin Jagos

Martin Jagos (Frýdek, Czech Republic)

Page: 1 | 2
Rodrigo: Guitar Music Vol 2 [Jeremy Jouve] [Naxos: 8572984]
Rodrigo: Guitar Music Vol 2 [Jeremy Jouve] [Naxos: 8572984]

5.0 out of 5 stars Joaquin Rodrigo for guitar !, 7 Jan. 2016
What else to say than masterful playing of masterful music. Even though Rodrigo scored only some 25 pieces for guitar (excluding Concierto de Aranjuez), these will always be immanent gemstones in princess' diadem when it comes to the Spanish guitar repertoire. Among all guitar composers who scored for guitar there is, albeit each unique compositionally and in style, no other to use such seemingly dissonant chords not to be incongruous at all for the beauty of his compositions. Rodrigo's early blindness not only headed him towards musicianship but I am convinced it has a lot to do with his uniqueness (he might have had melodies in his head that a good-sighted person never has). On this NAXOS recording (as well as Vol 1 which I would review just the same) Jeremy Jouve's playing is more emotional than as seen on his handful of Youtube videos and "Toccata" which was first performed to public in 2005 after some 70 years since written is probably the trickiest piece for guitar ever. Highly recommended CD if you like Spanish music.

Idlewild South
Idlewild South

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock and roll from heart, 7 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Idlewild South (Audio CD)
Named after a lake cabin in Georgia where they rehearsed and partied throughout album sessions and where brotherhood and campfire unity between band members happened, this is pure southern-style 70s-outbreak rock and roll stemming straight from their hearts as one reviewer put it here. There is no sense in each song analysis, there is simple-but-nice riffs and each one is a standout on its own, Elizabeth Reed being my no. # 1 on the album. Surely worth having.

The Stepkids
The Stepkids
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 26 April 2013
This review is from: The Stepkids (Audio CD)
I came to know this band through my interest in Stones Throw label and I have to say they are more than just amazing. Now is 2013 and I wouldn't believe there can emerge any band that sounds fresh and innnovative. The Stepkids do. What a nice surprise they are to me. I was blown off straight at first listen. The span of styles is very varied and tempos changing. Blending veering melodies, rock with electronica, soul with jazz , all in glaring neo-psychedelic gown, the music is really glimmering and you'd never glimpse a faint moment on this album. Each song is a treasure. Punk tinges are here (Santos and Ken) but rather combed and palpably the band's approach gets closer to psychedelic rock than to punk. Lyrics seem to be personal and obscure at places and this adds another special feel to the album.

I wish I could give it 6 *. Every good-music lover should have this in his records collection !!!

In Search Of Stoney Jackson
In Search Of Stoney Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine, 26 April 2013
This is by far best hip-hop album of 2010. L.A.-style mood, great samples, great lyrics, myriad of MCs and Madlib involved as producer. Sheer pleasure from beginning to end. If you like hip-hop you must have this. Stones Throw is still getting better, they can be the best label out there right now, check them out for other great stuff !!

Sweet Jones
Sweet Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Great acid jazz, 30 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Sweet Jones (Audio CD)
I like this record a lot. It is much in Funki Porcini (he is half of 9 Lazy 9) Ninja style of those days, lots of live instruments (James Braddell and Keir Fraser hired whole band for the sessions), sometimes disharmonic, diverse tempos, a great deal of sunny Italy-soaked temper, no boring cuts and very moody. On several cuts like Pound Stretcher or Big Six the music sails to dream-like ambient waters which leaves the listener contemplating. Out of three classic 9 Lazy 9 albums to me Sweet Jones is number one. Wonderful album.

Agent Provocateur Tuberose Intoxication Massage Oil - 125 ml
Agent Provocateur Tuberose Intoxication Massage Oil - 125 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars A 6-star product ?, 29 Aug. 2012
It arrived only week ago and somehow I still haven't made it to try it whilst playing bed games with my girlfriend (this is my purpose No 1) but it has surely something magic to it. The first (luckily rather skewed) impression after unfolding was it's extremely sweet fragrance - somewhere between whole spectrum of roses and tiny wood strawberries - but within hours I quickly made friends with this little oilie. Check the real ingredients in official producer review above. So very briefly:

1. Appearance/box/flacon: 5 stars

2. Smell: 6 stars

3. Endurance (sustaining skin greasy): 5 stars

4. Price: unrivalled

5. Overall impression: No other comment needed.

Buy it without hesitation.

Red Night
Red Night

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but debut was better, 28 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Red Night (Audio CD)
As quite a worshipper of Warp music I was looking forward to this sophomore from The Hundred In The Hands a lot. After about four hearings I still don't think it exceeded the band's first creation. It fell a bit short of my expectations.

Well, it is still a New York-based electro-pop-rock with trip-hop nuances, all dark, moody and down-to-earth. But whereas the eponymously titled debut had almost every track brilliant, now my feeling is - despite multiple patient listenings - that a lot of songs drown in mediocrity and lack debut's invention. It is somewhat too straight-forward musically and lyrics are a bit uneventful, being nearly about the same throughout the album, all they're about is personal struggles, sinister visions, red-and-black dreams and no way out. "Recognise" with its great guitar motif is perhaps the only song that lives up to what I thought they would reach on this album.

On the other hand, I must say that compared to most of media-friendly music this is still wonderful effort. And definitely very well listenable. And if you happen to be into all above mentioned styles you are likely to appreciate this.

Maybe it gets harder for me to find any truly brilliant brand-new album by any artist, maybe I am too demanding. Let's see what they will come up with next.

Sennheiser HD 598 Around-Ear Open Back Headphones - Cream/Brown
Sennheiser HD 598 Around-Ear Open Back Headphones - Cream/Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it the bloody hell need any reviews?, 28 Aug. 2012
Well, what to add here?
These HD598s are superb no matter where I plugged them. It is true that plugging just headphones to laptop or MP3 player doesn't bring appropriate volume unless it suffices you to have a low-key reception of music. So an amplifier can suit you sometimes.
Otherwise, the sound I get from them leaves me awed each time I listen. The proportion between bass and sound clarity is more than accurate, I can confirm that you may hear sounds which you might never have heard before and the design makes them truly outstanding phones on the market. If you are heavily into music or don't regret the money then purchase them. Purchase it not with the intention of showing off but only for sheer pleasure of music! I did and I'm happy. And I don't work for Sennheiser.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Sakura
Sakura

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise music, great for outdoor summer evenings, 28 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Sakura (Audio CD)
In a few words - absolutely stunning. Absolutely must-have for any ambient music fan. I've heard a lot of other records from Susumu Yokota, from his techno beginnings through pure ambient to his lately experimental efforts (my 2nd favourite being A Boy And A Tree, which is record highlighting ethnic Asian percussions in all sorts of way), but Sakura exceeds everything. This is real other-worldly music. Like from a paradise. Go and buy it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't trust the unfavourable reviews you see here, 17 Feb. 2012
These Denons are really great earphones. Been using them in combination with Sansa MP3 player (or my phone) and Fiio E5 headphone amplifier and the sound I get from them is more than marvellous. Initially I feared realising the bass reception is feeble, but if you try their different position and rotate them in your ears as if a bit forward, the bass will become much deeper. Their fit is very snug as many reviewers say and it's true. I'm fully content with these. They are, at least as far as endurance is concerned, way better than e.g. Sennheiser earphones which I tried twice and they ceased to function after a couple of weeks (I guess because of meagre cables), completely losing my confidence. Buy these instead.

Page: 1 | 2