Profile for J Chutney > Reviews

Content by J Chutney

J Chutney "Sweet Pickle" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Tojiro Paulownia Cutting Board Large Size (F-347)
Tojiro Paulownia Cutting Board Large Size (F-347)
Offered by Globalkitchen.japan

3.0 out of 5 stars ... has been returned and I am hoping for a perfect replacement., 1 May 2015
It arrived with a split in it so it has been returned and I am hoping for a perfect replacement.

Franco Manca: Artisan Pizza to Make Perfectly at Home
Franco Manca: Artisan Pizza to Make Perfectly at Home
by Giuseppe Mascoli

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 May 2015
Fun and informative and nicely set out.

Magimix 3100 Double Blade Knife
Magimix 3100 Double Blade Knife
Offered by WowDiscounts

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 May 2015
This review is from: Magimix 3100 Double Blade Knife
Just as one would expect and delivered promptly.

Scanpan CTX 28 cm Frying Pan
Scanpan CTX 28 cm Frying Pan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pan - beautifully even cooking, 11 April 2015
Great pan - beautifully even cooking. The outside arrives a beautiful shiny stainless steel but once heated, it discolours and stays that way. It doesn't bother me as its the performance that matters but it may bother the house proud cook.

The Vegetarian Option
The Vegetarian Option
by Simon Hopkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Simon Hopkinson and have many of his publications and ..., 11 April 2015
This review is from: The Vegetarian Option (Paperback)
I love Simon Hopkinson and have many of his publications and this book does not disappoint - some classic and some more adventurous options for vegetables. I should give it to all veggie friends - his enthusiasm and down to earth comments are always helpful.

Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Inox Stainless Steel Frying Pan, 2.5 Litre / 24 cm
Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Inox Stainless Steel Frying Pan, 2.5 Litre / 24 cm

3.0 out of 5 stars I love the weight of this pressure cooker and the stainless ..., 11 April 2015
I love the weight of this pressure cooker and the stainless steel base but I have had a few problems with it - sometimes it hasn't reached pressure and so there is a bit of fiddling around to make sure the valve isn't blocked or the rubber seal is in the right place. The worst aspect is the design for a gas hob - all my gas rings are large so the flame required to reach pressure licks round the edge of the pan and can start burning the handles - on a taller pan this would not happen as the flame would be sufficiently away from the handles. It's a shame but I may have to give it to someone with an electric hob because when it does work, there are great results.

Oxo 1060637 Salad Spinner 26 cm Diameter Transparent
Oxo 1060637 Salad Spinner 26 cm Diameter Transparent

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Spinner Around, 14 Oct. 2013
My second - someone left the first near the gas flame and I can't live without it for leaves and herbs alike!

Seasonal Baking: Celebrating the baking year with classic cakes, cupcakes, biscuits and delicious treats

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thoughtful Seasonal Approach, 14 Oct. 2013
I loved her first and it is dog eared and splattered with cocoa powder but this latest book is beautifully photographed and put together with another set of imaginative and delicious recipes and is fast becoming another favourite. Seasonal recipes I have used so far are the Mini Spiced Butternut Squash Cakes - even more moist as one big cake, White Chocolate and Nectarine Tart and the Fig, Blackcurrant and Fennel Tarts - delicious combinations and accurate recipes which is so important in these recessional days when you want to be sure that you are not wasting good ingredients. I am even looking forward to winter and to making the Clementine and Star Anise sponge, the Chocolate Cardamom Tart, not to mention the Crumbly Mince Pies! And roll on the Alphonso season so I can tackle the scented pavlova ..........

The Birthday Cake Book
The Birthday Cake Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Confident choice, 27 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Birthday Cake Book (Hardcover)
Fiona's first book, Bake and Decorate, has been used a thousand times in my kitchen and in those of my friends to whom I still give copies as presents. I have been looking forward to the second, even though I am not really a decorator of cakes. I do love to see the very clever and original ideas for decoration but essentially, I am after the inspirational cake recipes that I know have been tested and work everytime! My cakes are the talk of the neighbourhood - I just keep quiet that it is the Royal cakemaker and her recipes who is the real toast of the town! Many, many beautiful and amusing ideas (loved the play on fairy cakes and cup cakes) and detailed styling. The seaside bucket, the crocodile handbag, the football boots and the Troika dolls are some of the wonderful ideas backed up with simple elegance, such as the rhubarb crumble and the very lemony meringue.

Bake & Decorate
Bake & Decorate

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book to trust!, 31 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Bake & Decorate (Hardcover)
Be warned - Fiona Cairns is, by her own admission in the introduction, a bit of a bossy boots! But if you do as she says, you will have the wonderful results of this beautifully written and photographed book. Fiona generously shares her years of experience as a renowned decorated cake supplier and guides you through each cake and biscuit - some old favourites (her famous dark fruit cake and shortbread biscuits) and others, with a modern twist (sticky toffee cupcakes with salted caramel buttercream). She urges you to take care, to watch for this or that, to be gentle here or firm there. Her wisdom is sandwiched between recipes and simple decorating ideas that work for all levels of expertise. I love to give culinary gifts and this is perfect. I shall give copies of this book in the months to come - perhaps with a cake in hand to prove how well it works - maybe the white chocolate, cardamom and rosewater or the simple yet sublime flourless chocolate and hazelnut....I may even decorate them - now that I know how to!

Page: 1 | 2