Profile for Louise Stephens > Reviews

Content by Louise Stephens

Louise Stephens "persephone102" (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Jazooli Portable Lightweight Universal Foldable Desk Stand For iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3 Notebook's, Laptop's, Netbook's & Tablet PC's - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Not too good to be true, 26 Mar. 2012
I bought this item after reading about a similar and much more expensive stand which was about three times the price. I was a bit skeptical that a cheap version would be as good but this one arrived quickly and is of very good quality. There are rubber bits to prevent your iPad being scratched and the stand holds the tablet well in either orientation. As other reviews have noted, it's not really lightweight, but in my opinion this makes it more attractive as the last thing you want is your iPad sitting on something that feels flimsy. A pretty unbeatable price for what so far has proved to be a useful and well-made piece of kit.

Dance the Devil
Dance the Devil
Offered by skyvo-direct

3.0 out of 5 stars ...and from the other side of the table..., 24 July 2006
This review is from: Dance the Devil (Audio CD)
The Frames have this weird thing for me, and indeed a lot of people who know them. They tend to be one of those bands you either really, really love (to an obsessive degree) or that leave you going... what's all the fuss about? And I'm going to go right ahead and contradict myself by saying I have a totally mixed opinion of them. After moving to Ireland and seeing the fervour with which they were adored and despised, my boyfriend and I decided to go and see them live and see if we could make head or tail of what they were about. Before this, we listened to all their albums.

Without a doubt, I think "For the Birds" is their best album. All of the rest are pretty wishy-washy in my opinion. I certainly don't want to be down on reviewers that felt their albums were "emotionally draining" or like rollercoasters - that's their own experience. But I do think The Frames have gained a huge following in Ireland largely without being outstanding musical artists. I didn't find anything hugely original in any of their music - which is not to say some of it isn't likeable. But beware of the folk who say their albums will change your life, make your world a different place... "For The Birds" and this album make a welcome addition to my CD collection, but they haven't rocked my world. The god-like worship they received when playing live also left me a bit cold.

THAT SAID! Yes, more contridiction. This album has some cracking tunes on it. "Rent Day Blues" is one of my favourite songs ever (possibly because it contains a sample of "Celebrate" by Kool and the Gang). The rest of the album is solid and accomplished and so I'd say definitely give it a bash - and give it several listens before you make up your mind (I've had it 2 years now and I spin it every so often still). But don't come to it with huge and high expectations because you may just end up disappointed.

Creative Zen Sleek Photo 20GB MP3 Player
Creative Zen Sleek Photo 20GB MP3 Player

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for a music lover, 23 Jan. 2006
WOW!

I have been dithering over which MP3 player to buy for a while now and after literally months of thinking about it, decided to go for this one. Researched all different ones: the new sony was constantly reviewed as having poor software, the i-pod you have to keep all your tunes ON the computer, the rest weren't big enough and so on. I have a large music collection so wanted one which would fit most songs on- so far so good with this! You only get 18GB effective when you start out and so far I have over 450 songs and 17GB left. It's a sexy little thing and the colour screen is really cool (although I haven't actually bothered putting any pics on it yet).

GOOD POINTS
The software is really easy to use as far as i have experienced, especially if you are just downloading to ur MP3 player. The menus on the player are quite intuitive and it doesn't take long to work out how to work it. The slidey-touch thing works fine for me. It's small and sleek. It's great that you're able to record from radio (saving you a few quid). The colour screen is neat too.

BAD POINTS
There don't seem many bad points so far and my sister's had the Zen Sleek for 6 months with no noticable problems. It took me a wee while trying to figure out how to save a playlist and set it to play everything on it randomly, but I worked it out after a while without needing the manual. One really irritating thing is that all your albums are at different volumes but that happens with all MP3 players (they need to get onto that).

If you want an easy-to-use and nice looking player and you want quite a lot of room so you can steal lots of your friends' albums and upload them all, I would definitely recommend this player.

UPDATE: I've now had this MP3 player for over a year and am still delighted with it. I've about 4GB left and almost 4000 tracks on it and so far, couldn't be happier with it.