Profile for K. J. Noyes > Reviews

Content by K. J. Noyes
Top Reviewer Ranking: 75

K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Electric Callus Remover - More Powerful than AA Battery-Operated Foot File - #1 Best Seller in U.S.A. - Effectively Shaves Hard, Coarse & Tough Skin on Callused Feet - 1 Bonus Roller Included - Amazing Pedicure Spa Like Results Guaranteed - Great Gift to Dads| Fathers
Offered by Care me

5.0 out of 5 stars Husband no longer getting scratched in bed!, 4 July 2015
I couldn't really believe how the thick and scratchy skin I've had on my heels for years was rendered smooth in just a few minutes. I was dubious - I thought I'd probably be too ticklish for this to work, it would take ages to make any difference.

But this really is great. A quick read through the instructions and it really is simple - it comes partially charged so I used it from the box. I used it over the bath, as I knew there would be dead skin cells flying around. I was very pleased to find it didn't tickle, though I wasn't keen on the rather hot sensation it generated in my feet.

I used this for around 5 minutes in total, and plan on doing so again soon, as I didn't fully achieve what I wanted to. But still, I smoothed both my rough heels, enough for my husband to notice without prompt that they were no longer scratching him.

The advice is to use on any one patch of skin for only 3 seconds, and that makes sense as it does heat up as it removes dead skin, though you can go back over it. The device stops working if you press down too hard, so you can't damage yourself. It's not excessively noisy, is easy to hold and manoeuvre, and comes with a second head, cleaning brush and charging plug.

It's very impressive how fast it can affect such a long-standing buildup of rough skin. And can be used wet or dry, though I think sitting over the bath works well for me.

Safe to use, easy to use and though not a pleasure, it's certainly not unpleasant to use either. And it's not battery-operated... A major selling point for me.

Very happy to have taken the plunge with one of these, as it's made a difference already, I feel less embarrassed about my less-than-attractive heels, and they are definitely becoming smoother and will be easier to take care of.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Jimmy Design New Season Compression Womens Printed Sports Bra Running Fitness Top Rainbow 36B
Offered by Jimmy Design

3.0 out of 5 stars Very attractive sports bra, excellent support but too tight to wear (next size up needed), 4 July 2015
I have contacted the manufacturer about this item after receiving and trying it. It's small for me, and though I could get it on, I found it very constricting while jogging, having trouble taking anything but shallow breaths. And then I had a lot of bother getting the bra back off later. Hopefully they will be sending a larger size - for which I am grateful.

Apart from the sizing issue (which may mean you need to order a slightly larger size than you would expect), this is a really lovely bra - I chose the rainbow colour. It's very smooth and nice to wear with comfortable padding, and definitely does the job of keeping you stable when exercising.

More to come if a replacement size is forthcoming.

With thanks to the manufacturer for the sample product, sent for review purposes.

Lychee Portable Face Mist Steamer Replenish Moisture Anti-Aging Pores Cleanser - UK Plug

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, effective and built to last, 4 July 2015
I'm not a fan of anything that says 'anti-aging', and I don't believe this claim about anything. I wanted this product for a regular cleanse and 'pore opener', as well as a useful tool when my sinuses are blocked (summer hyafever / winter colds), as I know this has helped me in the past.

This comes with very easy-to-follow instructions, clear English. You put water in a pull-out section (screw it in/out), then simply plug in and a few seconds later, very hot steam begins poring out. I used tap water as I couldn't find pure/distilled easily, and it seems to work fine with it.

I have so far only used it once, so cannot comment on long-term benefits (though I will add to this review after I have used it again). I had it on for 10 minutes, and had water left in it (it will cut out when it runs out of water). I felt refreshed and had a softer face after that time.

I did think the design isn't quite right - you need to keep your face a distance (around 20cm / 8 inches) from the steam coming out, and it points directly upwards. I don't have a dressing table, and you need to be close enough to a power source to plug this in, so I found it awkward to find somewhere flat for the steamer to sit while I also sat comfortably. Could this not have been designed to exhale steam more horizontally, or with an adjustable piece so you can select an approriprate height for your own circumstances?

This is a good solid device, well made and attractive. I plan to use it regularly as it is very easy to use and easy to carry around.

Comment Comment | Permalink

Blusmart® Waterproof Wireless Doorbell Easy Operation, Needn't Matching, with 52 Chimes & 4 Volume Levels, No Batteries Required For Receiver
Offered by Electronic Manufacturer

5.0 out of 5 stars Efffectively loud doorbell, easy to install, not sure about 'waterproof' capabilities yet, 4 July 2015
Needed new batteries immediately, the ones that came with it ran out as we were trying out the various sounds (of which there were loads!). But once the new ones wwere in, it was so simple to set up. We've plugged ours into the kitchen, and can hear the ring all the way round our three-storey house.

We have chosen not to screw this outside the house, but have used the sticky pads, so will comment again if these are not long-lasting. So far, it is sticking well.

A concern we have is in regards to the 'waterproof' claim. While the switch mechanism is waterproof, I can't be sure about the casing. Again, I will change my rating and comment again if we notice over time that there are issues with this.

So far though an excellent and well-priced doorbell - easy to get ready for use, lots of choice over tones, and works well, though we will see if rainy weather has any effect on it.

Lottery Boy
Lottery Boy
by Michael Byrne

4.0 out of 5 stars A killer of a plot idea, and an exciting story that brings issues of homelessness to the fore for a young audience, 1 July 2015
This review is from: Lottery Boy (Paperback)
Here's a new one - a homeless kid wins the lottery. Nice one - different, some different characters on the themes of greed and goodness.

Bully (real name Bradley) is only 12 and living on the streets (after his mum's death, he can't stand her boyfriend). Struggling but just about managing to feed himself and his dog Jack, out of the blue he finds a lottery ticket his mum hid. And it turns out... yep, it's a winning ticket from nearly 6 months ago.

Now, if this were a really short (and dull) story, Bully would call up Camelot and get them to meet him. But of course, other homesless acquaintances soon get wind of Bully's good fortune... including Janks, who isn't going to let him keep his luck to himself.

Thus follows a chase and escape story, that takes Bully all over the famous sights of London, little Jack loyally following.

I suspended disbelief ("Don't tell anyone Bully!") to enjoy the story. It's quite exciting, with a likeable hero and his dog to root for, as time ticks down through the story until the ticket validity runs out. There's danger and injury (though not too graphic - he is only 12, it's suitable for the age range), there are issues relating to homelessness and abuse of dogs. There are weapons and violence.

The ending I felt suited, I expected one strand of it to conclude in the way it does, and the other I really wasn't sure how it would end.

This should capture the attention of able but reluctant readers of around 10-12, Bully's own age, and because of the content I would say 9-12 is the best market for it. There are issues to discuss in school from it.

A Song for Issy Bradley
A Song for Issy Bradley
by Carys Bray

4.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable yet fascinating portrait of a Mormon family coping with grief, 1 July 2015
4.5 stars

A marvellous insight into Mormon families, told by a former Mormon.

So so sad though. Pulled at my heartstrings, especially in the first act when the family, in preparing for one child's party, fails to notice the increasingly serious illness affecting another child. Issy falls ill the day of her older brother's birthday party. Her father, a devoutly raised Mormon is away from home, ministering to his flock, her mother busy with party preparations by herself. By the time the family realise, Issy is beyond help.

The four-year-old's death is the impetus that the rest of the story follows from. Her few scenes are incredibly moving and I was weeping copiously at one point, such beautiful writing of a child's innocent thoughts, and her death.

The rest of the book watches as the Bradleys cope with her loss, using their religion as comfort and to try and reason it away. There are three older siblings who all cope in different ways, but for me it was the parents' reactions that stood out - Ian the Mormon-raisied father, so certain in his beliefs. Claire the woman who fell for him and voluntarily has entered the Mormon faith and now finds it isn't the answer to her grief.

This was an interesting read for me, as I know little about the Mormon beliefs. Some shocking facts come to light, and I couldn't help but feel anger at times as Issy's father tries to stop her siblings from feeling sorrow and talking about their loss.

With an ending that some will really not wish for, this is a powerful and emotive read into grief in a particular culture. Then audio version I listened to is clear and well-read, as well as easy to follow.

An excellent choice for reading groups with several major themes ripe for discussions.

The Imagination Box (Imagination Box 1)
The Imagination Box (Imagination Box 1)
by Martyn Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea for a plot, deserves to be a popular choice in primary schools, 1 July 2015
4.5 stars

Total wish-fulfilment plot: a device that you can connect your brain to, and whatever you think of comes into existence. Great idea for a children's book.

Tim is a future artist, he is always drawing. Adopted by the very busy owners of a hotel, he is often left to his own devices and knows his way around the building. A new guest intrigues him and it isn't long before his inquisitiveness lands him in the middle of a plot with a box at its heart - a box that can create anything you could dream of. Finger monkeys for example... or burnt sausages. Don't ask.

The plot of intrigue woven around Tim and Professor Eisenstone is a little silly, but just right for this sort of book. The best parts for me were the moments where objects are created - Phil the finger monkey is a great little character, with his perfect English and never-ending hunger he's a good sidekick.

I wanted more to come of Tim's drawing abilities, I thought that would be more central to the plot but nothing came of it. The plot turns as evil forces come to steal the Imagination Box and Eisenstone goes missing. It's then a case of Tim working out WHO and WHY would want it, and then using his resources and friends to help effect a rescue.

A nice ending, with loose endings tied up and a little moral thrown in. Sets up part two well for the next instalment...

This is a fun read for 8-12 year olds, and would make a great group read in KS2 classes, with lots of lesson opportunities possible.

Fajiabao Birthday Gifts Present Plastic 12-piece Bowling Ball Game Toys Set with 10 Pins and 2 Bowling Ball Outdoor/Indoor Sports for kids
Offered by Fun Mall

3.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, quality is fine but the item is HEAVILY overpriced, 1 July 2015
My four-year-okd was really excited to see this arrive. We've played indoors and outdoors with them and he amazes me by finding new ways to play with the bowling set all the time.

This is a 10-pin and 2-ball bowling set for children. Light enough so the balls won't hurt if you accidentally get one on the toe (or in the face), but heavy enough to stand upright by themselves on carpet/concrete/grass.

The pins come in a variety of colours - red, blue, yellow and white,, with two coloured balls as well (with little finger grooves like really bowling balls), best sized for children but adults can roll them too.

3.5 stars, see below for reasons.

They aren't top quality but aren't the cheapest plastic either (my son quickly noticed he could make 'bubbles' (indentations) in the skittles by squeezing them.

They stand upright well and are knocked down easily enough to make it a rewarding game for children.

I definitely have an issue with the price, currently £14.99 which is at least double what I would expect (and be willing) to pay in the shops. Not a realistic price and certainly not a quality deserving of that price range.

This is a good toy that will last a few summers but not marketed at the correct price, in my opinion.

WIth thanks to the manufacturer for the sample product, sent for review purposes.

Kenley Paper Punch Binder Binding Machine with Starter Combs Set - 21 Hole / 450 Sheets
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

4.0 out of 5 stars This does the job, but you may have to work out for yourself just how!, 30 Jun. 2015
I wanted this for work, where my book group have just written a picture book and I thought it would be a nice idea to give them all a bound copy to keep.

This came very well-packaged, with just the lever to screw on (easy enough but I put it on at the wrong angle, meaning I was levering the paper from too low a start-point and hitting the table). With screwed on correctly, you can then punch holes in A4 (or A5) paper, 21 in total. And then bind.

Punching holes - I had an issue here, as there was something inside leaking a yellowy liquid onto my paper (luckily I was using scrap first). This faded with a few practice goes. The holes came out well with practice as well, and in line on every piece. I was putting just a couple of pieces under at a time, though you may be able to do slightly more.

Following the instructions is useless - they are pigeon English and hard to understand (with too-small diagrams), so I used YouTube for some example videos which were much clearer. Binding was simple enough though I found that 15 pieces of paper didn't QUITE make it through to the bound state - I needed to help some through at the bottom, but it did work.

The binder comes with a sample pack of 8 combs, small ones, but enough to get started with and try it out.

Fairly happy with this - once teething troubles were sorted out, it worked for me.

I will be buying more combs and also some clear cover sheets for my binding. The instructions need editing I think, clearer English please with larger diagrams for those of us who have never used this kind of device before.

It would also have been nice if this would pack flat - the lever will come off, but it would be good to 'fold down' the comb holders or take it apart to store - my library doesn't have a lot of space!

Overall, I like this device. It feels well-made, and I will be using it at home and work in the future.

Milk Frother BATTERIES INCLUDED, MONEY BACK GUARANTEE !! The Best Automatic Electric Handheld frother in Black with a Soft touch handle, Stainless steel whisk, Perfect for making Coffee, Hot Drinks, Shakes, Egg Beater/Mixer, Cappuccino, Vinaigrette, Latte, Hot chocolate
Offered by jb online

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes a perfect latte but the button is a bit tricky, 30 Jun. 2015
If you like a latte or cappuccino the this little gadget is perfect for you.

Makes milk (hot or cold) light and frothy in seconds.

Simply make your espresso as normal and warm your milk in a separate cup. Stick your milk frother in the milk and press the button. Lift the frother to the top of the milk (don't get too close to the top or it'll go everywhere) to get a good aeration. Simply pour your milk into your espresso to make a perfect latte.

The only issue I had was that the button sticks a little and you have to try a few angles to get it working. Once it does - all is well.

The frother comes with 2 AA batteries in the unit. You'll need to remove the shrink wrap before it'll work though.
The device it ergonomically styled to give a good grip and has a rubberised plastic feel to help with this.
The plastic top of the device isn't water proof so keep it out of your milk and sink. Simply run the whisk part under the tap to clean it.
The only gripe I have is with the switch that activates it. It seems you have to press the button in just the right place for it to work no matter how hard you press. The switch is also built into the battery compartment cover so when trying to get that button pressed in just the right way I found that the cover sometimes has a tendency to slide off. This unfortunately means this product has to drop a star which is really disappointing because when it does work, it works beautifully.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20