Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More
Profile for K. J. Noyes > Reviews

Content by K. J. Noyes
Top Reviewer Ranking: 115

K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (West Yorkshire, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
MYCARBON Sports Bum Bag Lightweight Running Belt Elastic Waist Packs Breathable Grid Design With Headphone Hole Waterproof for Dog Walking Cycling Hiking Traveling Fit Smartphone Below 6 inch, iphone6/6Plus/7/7Plus/Galaxy S7/Galaxy S8 for Men&Women
Offered by MYCARBON

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent waist bag for walking/running, keeping possessions safe and dry, 30 July 2017
With a small baby, I haven't jogged in a while, but am using this as a 'walking' bum bag (who knew that phrase would come back after the 1990s?!). We walk every day with a buggy, and I can't take a bag with me as well as everything else we take, so this means I can keep my keys, phone (iPhone), money and cards safe on my rather than in the changing bag, as I was doing previously.

Expandable, it can fit quite a lot in it, and its waterproof, so I don't need to worry when the rain starts and only my baby is covered. It's also adjustable on the waist and comfortable to wear hip or waist. Very strong buckle which would be secure when running. The inner side won't rub as it's a soft layer of material.

Several pockets to separate belongings, headphone hole (if you're not a Bluetooth fan like me). Less than £9 currently which is a fair price for this high quality waist bag.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's like a rainbow!", 30 July 2017
That's what my son said when he saw it and tried it out. We've got a few already, of course, and each one is surprisingly different.

For this model, we liked the fact that it comes in its own carry bag, and has a mini screwdriver which can be used to tighten the screws inside the centre part. Shouldn't be needed, ideally, but I've seen my son take his apart several times so it's bound to be called on at some point!

For £8, this material is a good price. And the colours really do make this, and make it a rather lovely thing to watch in action. It does look like a spinning rainbow.

A good quiet 'buzz' as it spins, and it goes for a good long time with a sure hand.

Very nice design, love the fact it comes in a bag as my son is always misplacing his others as they are so small and hard to spot in the chaos of a bedroom!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Yoffee Antibacterial Wash For Body & Foot - Tea Tree Oil & Eucalyptus Oil Antifungal Wash Helps Relieve Eczema, Ringworm, Athletes Foot, Jock itch, Body Itch, Toenail Fungus, Foot Fungus, Body Odor & Acne 300 ml.
Offered by Beauty Solutions Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars First thoughts - will update in a few weeks, 30 July 2017
I have incredibly dry and cracked heels and recurring athlete's foot that always takes a week to treat and remove. It's been an issue for a few years. I've tried various creams and not a lot seems to work for my heels besides Vaseline!

Thus, I tried this feeling pretty dubious. I am still undecided and will update this review in a few weeks to give it time to prove itself, it's not something that is going to help overnight.

Good sized bottle, quite large, the wonderful smell hits you as you open it. Tea tree oil but not overwhelming, it smells fresh and clean. I have found it doesn't seem to absorb into the skin, it seems to just wash off and I've had to use handfuls to try and cover my feet (and started today using it on my underarm area as well, to see what it does there).

After washing, I can't say my feet feel any different. Though I haven't had athlete's foot come back since using this, I have found my feet are more cracked that they were, and I'm needing good old faithful Vaseline to prevent deep, painful fissures. I don't believe there is a connection - we are in the middle of summer and my skin is always dry at this time of year.

Therefore, I'll update this after a few more weeks of using the wash to say how my feet are reacting to it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

My Cousin Rachel: Film Tie In (Virago Modern Classics)
My Cousin Rachel: Film Tie In (Virago Modern Classics)
by Daphne Du Maurier

5.0 out of 5 stars Psychologically dark 'love' story, from the author of Rebecca, 25 July 2017
I loved Rebecca, the film and book, from first reading/viewing. For some reason, I've never felt an urge to read any more of du Maurier's work. With the film of this due out soon, I felt the impetus to try the source material before seeing it, as I'm sure I will.

While nothing can ever compare to Rebecca in my mind (or that of Mrs Danvers!), this is a slow-paced but tense thriller of a relationship story. An orphan who has been raised by his older cousin, Philip Ashley, is disturbed when his benefactor marries overseas, then dies in mysterious circumstances less than two years later. Preparing for the widow's arrival back in England, Philip is prepared for almost anything but the woman he meets.

His feelings for Rachel will lead him and his estate in directions he can barely control, though his cousin's warnings and letters about his wife leave Philip conflicted. Just what does Rachel want? And what has she done?

It's the sort of book where you never quite know what to believe, who is telling the truth, who is the good guy. It will translate well to the screen, and I'll be watching it.

I really enjoyed Philip as narrator, his changing emotions as he finds himself attracted to his cousin's widow. Rachel herself remains enigmatic, just as Rebecca does in the author's other work. Rachel can be whatever you (and Philip) choose to make of her.

The setting is well constructed, Cornwall and the south, with a great brooding atmosphere and tension in the air throughout.

In 27 Days (Blink)
In 27 Days (Blink)

4.0 out of 5 stars Plot holes and questions throughout, but an intriguing idea and a nicely developed relationship, 25 July 2017
Not quite the average high school story, a girl is approached by 'Death' just after hearing about a fellow student's suicide and given the chance to go back in time to try and stop him from taking his own life. Accepting, Hadley finds herself back 27 days in the past, and must befriend Archer before the date of his suicide. A tattoo on her arm counts down the days... can she change his mind in time and show him there may be something worth living for?

One aspect of this is obvious - you KNOW the pair will start as strangers, become friends, and quite possibly fall for each other, that's pretty standard. And while the story does follow this, I really liked both characters' personalities and was happy to get swept up in their romance.

The supernatural/time travel element of the book felt a little less well thought through. Why does Hadley never seem to relive her 27 days and be in the same situation as she's experienced before - she has arguments with her never-present wealthy parents but never mentions that this has happened before, she never uses her knowledge of the past to help her.

And why exactly did Archer commit suicide? This was a big plot hole for me, I just couldn't see any reason for him to do it - much poorer financially than Hadley, his family is rolling in love and support, there doesn't seem to be any 'trigger' that sets him off, the threat never seems to climax and offer a sense of danger and impending decision for him.

Yet I enjoyed the book - the idea of Death (and other supernatural characters, a great addition to add an element of danger that felt missing) so unusual in this genre that it carried the story. Loved Hadley's burgeoning romance, Archer's eccentric family.

Lovely to see writings from WattPad getting attention, publication and their author's public recognition. Definitely one to recommend to teenage audiences, maybe for those who've enjoyed such books as 'Thirteen Reasons Why' or 'Demon Road'.

With thanks to Netgalley for the advance reading copy.

Goblins
Goblins
Offered by Audible Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Goblin-world of adventure, lost my interest but target market will enjoy, 22 July 2017
This review is from: Goblins (Audio Download)
I listened to the audiobook, and had to concentrate hard to keep abreast of plot developments, as I found this rather lacking in humour and didn't find it stood out against other similar fantasy books I've read recently.

I have read Reeve before and enjoyed him, this has never been my favourite genre, and as a thirty-something woman, I'm really not the reader he envisaged, so please don't let me put you off!

There are goblins and humans, funny words and a plot of adventure. It felt like a less-funny Muddle Earth, with a human and goblin joining forces. Skarper, the downtrodden goblin, manages to overcome his lowly status and learn to read, something goblins don't do.

This will be one to recommend to male readers particularly, as part of a series, and with lots of fantasy staples, this could be a comfortable read that feels familiar but offers a decent level of challenge.

The audiobook is clearly read, I just might have done better with the paper copy. In a few years, I might see if my sons enjoy this.

Goblins by Reeve, Philip 1st (first) Edition (2012)
Goblins by Reeve, Philip 1st (first) Edition (2012)

LCD Writing Tablet Digital Ewriter - NEWYES NYWT850- 8.5 Inch Graphics Tablet Portable White Board Rugged Drawing Tablet Suitable for Home School Office Memo Notebook, 1 Year Warranty (Green)
Offered by NEWYES-UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of uses around the house, great for kids, 20 July 2017
4.5 stars

This is so thin, I almost thought Amazon had forgotten to put this in the box! Pretty simple to work out - there's a battery in this, a stylus to write with, and a delete button.

You draw on the screen, and like an Etch-a-Sketch your image appears. It seems quite faint though, I can't make it as clear as in these pictures, but I might be trying to be too gentle to avoid scratching the screen.

When you're done, you delete and it disappears. There is no on/off button, but the battery is said to last for 50,000 deletes... so quite a while then.

Works well, the stylus is quite thin but attaches and detaches easily and your images come straight up on the screen. Delete clears the screen completely.

We have already started using this for spelling practice, handwriting (my son is 6), sending notes to each other at our different breakfast-times, and for homework tasks and just silly drawings. I can't see it being something my husband and I use rather than our phones (for shopping lists, etc) but I did think that it would always be something for our children to use, making certain tasks/chores a little more entertaining.

The magnet does not attach to our microwave/fridge at all, and the battery is a little tricky to access (hard to open the compartment as well as remove the battery) hence the 4-star review, but otherwise we just love this writing tablet.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Baby Toothbrush Removable Safety Slider Design With Cover And Bag 3 PCS Set Soft Bristle Training Toothbrush (1)
Offered by Hot Sone

5.0 out of 5 stars Set of first toothbrushes - great for teething as well as brushing, 20 July 2017
Pink, yellow and blue - a set of three 'gift bagged' toothbrushes for very young babies. My little one is 4 months old, no sign of a tooth yet, but lots of dribbling and he's keen to mouth everything.

These are proving popular, which means he's ready to have a toothbrush in his mouth when the time comes. Silicone-covered handles, with a 'safety' ring to stop babies taking too much into their mouths, they are soft and safe, easy to clean and great so far for chewing and gumming.

The brush itself is also silicone, there's a handle that's easy to grip and looks a little like a mouse with its face.

Nice that it's easy to clean (and also sterilise should you want to.

Great 'training' brush for babies, nice to have three as well as backup/spares.

Only comment I would make as an improvement would be to include some sort of cover for the brush part to keep it clean and ready to use.

The Memory Book
The Memory Book

5.0 out of 5 stars A YA 'Flowers for Algernon' - very affecting weepie, 19 July 2017
This review is from: The Memory Book (Kindle Edition)
'The Fault in Our Stars' made us cry for teens with cancer,'Ways to Live Forever' looked at a child's degeneration with leukemia. Now 'The Memory Book' is taking its place as its heroine, Samantha, breaks hearts as she copes with a degenerative memory condition.

Imagine the tragedy - class valedictorian, national finalist in the school debating team, about to take up a place at a prestigious university - and now Samantha McCoy is having to tell her teachers and friends that she has a degenerative disease that will take her memory. Heart-breaking.

She's just so lovely. The way she opens the book, telling her teacher of her condition with bravery btu determination not to let it stand in her way - I wasn't going anywhere until I saw Samantha's story through. A budding writer, Samantha's old crush returns home from New York, a former student who's making waves in the literary world - and they connect... how will her new life affect her new relationship?

Avery gives us the family's perspective on Samantha's condition, and how her lapses in memory affect them all. The writing made me think of the science fiction classic 'Flowers for Algernon', as changes in the protagonist's mental capacity are clearly indicated by his ability to diarise his thoughts, just as Samantha's do. Degeneration is marked, and in this case, her confused state is moving to see.

While a few turns in the plot are clearly coming, the writing is rather moving and I knew what I wanted to happen for Samantha.

It's an ending that comes with a big jolt of emotion, a tug of sadness, and a little beauty.

A very worthy YA read, perfect as a diary format, lovely romance story as part of the heartbreaking plot.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30