Profile for Polo121 > Reviews

Holocaust Landscapes
Holocaust Landscapes
by Tim Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Perspective to the Holocaust, 30 Dec. 2016
This review is from: Holocaust Landscapes (Hardcover)
It is only over the past couple of years I have taken an interest in the subject of the Holocaust which was fuelled by a visit to Auschwitz in November last year. Having read around this fascinating subject every book I have read has given me a deeper and wider perspective of the dreadful events that uncovered during the war years whereby Tim Cole's book Holocaust Landscapes without doubt, contributed to this.
I think this book gave me a view that the Holocaust was not simply centred upon the notorious sites of Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, Ravensbruck etc, but this warped ideology was played out over a much wider landscape within Central Europe. Holocaust Landscapes is well researched and material is derived from a wide range of personal narratives which make this a very "real" treatise on the subject.
I like Tim's writing style, as this is a very easy and enjoyable read which I would recommend to anyone interested in this element of European History.This book will stand proudly on my bookshelves with a range of other Holocaust titles I have acquired over the past 12 months.
This book as also got me interested in other work Tim Cole has written and furthermore the work he is involved with.
Well done Tim, good book and most enjoyable.

Age of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth and Faith in the New China
Age of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth and Faith in the New China

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 7 Aug. 2015
Very well balanced piece of writing, the author takes a 360 perspective when presenting his work. I have read quite a bit about on this subject but Osnos has given me probably the most authentic insight I have yet to come across. I would recommend this book and furthermore would love to read more of his work.

Well done Evan, more of the same please.

The King's Speech [DVD]
The King's Speech [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The King's Speech [DVD] (DVD)
Really good film I enjoyed this.

The Chimp Paradox: The Acclaimed Mind Management Programme to Help You Achieve Success, Confidence and Happiness

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this and has added to my wisdom in terms ..., 17 Oct. 2014
Enjoyed this and has added to my wisdom in terms of how I recognise situations in others and how I can manage myself better. I would say that it did ramble at times but the message is powerful which I have distilled what I can immediately use. A good book and I can see where its popularity lays.

Japan - Hell on Earth: 2011
Japan - Hell on Earth: 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Very thought provoking whilst gave me a better understanding of what really went on, 17 Oct. 2014
Very thought provoking whilst gave me a better understanding of what really went on. A nice little treatise on the issue.

The Siege of Leningrad: History in an Hour
The Siege of Leningrad: History in an Hour

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to learn so much more., 17 Oct. 2014
Found this a superb read indeed. It whetted my appetite for more and I immediately ordered Leningrad: Tragedy of a City under Siege. A great book and it certainly connected me with a fascinating and moving theme in history.

Leningrad: Tragedy of a City under Siege, 1941-44
Leningrad: Tragedy of a City under Siege, 1941-44

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book and provided me a really understanding of how ..., 17 Oct. 2014
Wonderful book and provided me a really understanding of how life was so tough in never to be forgotten circumstances.

Blood Over Water
Blood Over Water
by David Livingston

5.0 out of 5 stars It made me connect, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Blood Over Water (Paperback)
I find this a fascinating sport and I connect with the Leadership element of it. It took me to the heart of the battle on the water and this book sits alongside Topolski's famous book. I love this stuff. Well done David.

THE TALE OF TWO HORSES.
THE TALE OF TWO HORSES.
by A F. Tschiffely

5.0 out of 5 stars Patagonia is on my list of places to visit., 17 Oct. 2014
So nice to let yourself drift off into a South American world and imagine the journey. It was a really nice book and enjoyed the escapism. This book is part of the inspiration I have to visit the Argentinian pampas. I read this after reading Tschiffely's classic book of his journey from Argentina to New York so it was a nice follow on. I am a polo enthusiast and anything that takes me into the world of the Criollo ponies will always be special, very special. Thanks Tschiffely your books sit proudly on my bookshelves and will do forever.

Who Moved My Cheese: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
by Dr Spencer Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct. 2014
Good book which I use with my business students. Will remain as a classic

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4