Profile for brian > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Smart Weigh Digital Pocket Scale 100 x 0.01g - Black
Smart Weigh Digital Pocket Scale 100 x 0.01g - Black
Offered by Five Star

2.0 out of 5 stars Mine Is Accurate Only On the Left Side of the Decimal Point, 14 Aug. 2017
I bought this to double check that silver coins I've been buying are not fake. So being able to measure troy ounces (31.10) is important. It was presumably accurate to 2 decimal places. It gets the 31 on the left side of the decimal point every time. It often gets the first decimal right. But it's all over the place with the second decimal. If it was only on one or two coins I'd start worrying about the coins. But it's on all of them, purchased on different continents from reputable dealers. The problem has to be with the unit (though I'm open to suggestions). I can keep it and consider that if the coin hits 31 grams it's probably ok. But it's unfortunate that it isn't as accurate as I was lead to believe.

Vansky® Led Torch Pocket Torch 800 Lumen Cree XML2 T6 Adjustable Focus Tactical Flashlight Zoomable Led Light Water Resistant Camping Torch, 3 x AAA Batteries Included
Offered by Vansky Official

4.0 out of 5 stars Big In The Pocket But Amazing, 14 July 2017
Amazing flashlight. Great that it takes AAA batteries. The light is super bright and zooms, widens and narrows. 4* instead of 5 because it is big but doable for a pocket, maybe 60% bigger than my other similar pocket flashlight. The big glass part also seems more vulnerable to damage if you whack someone or something with it. But the power difference and versatility of the beam are really impressive. Great price, too. I'm happy to have it.

LED lantern, ThorFire Solar Camping Lantern Collapsible & Rainproof, Portable Lightweight LED Lantern Torch Mini Lantern Lamp with Hanging Handle, Great for Camping Hiking Emergency Cell Phone Charger, Recharges with Solar power or via USB

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok Light...Except for the Solar Part, 23 Oct. 2016
Decent design for portability. It took about 3 days for the original charge from the factory to run down. However, trying to charge it by sunlight for half a day and then a full fall day yielded the same disappointing results. The light started fading within half an hour and was all but gone within an hour.

This is the second version of this type of solar light I've tried. Both were quite disappointing. I think both work well when fully charged from a computer or power bank. But I will have to wait longer or maybe try garden solar lights to achieve many hours of night time lighting powered only by the sun.

By the way, for comparison, these lights are much better than sitting in the dark or using a candle for reading. At their strongest you could use them to read. But my normal tensor style desk lamp lights up most of my bedroom. These are much weaker, like nicely illuminated objects.

Because I bought it for the solar lighting function which works badly, I'd give it one and a half stars if I could.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2016 11:05 AM BST

iGadgitz Xtra Lumin Solar Glow 100lm USB Rechargeable Battery & Solar Powered LED Lantern Waterproof Storage Bottle Light with 2 year warranty - White
Offered by iGadgitz

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept, Disappointing Execution, 2 Oct. 2016
Great concept. But beware. I discovered that the 4 I bought were fully charged out of the box. So to test the efficacy of solar re-charging, I let them all completely run down. Then I gave them all about 6 hours plus time aimed at the sun on a sunny day. The bad news: that evening I got about an hour and 15 minutes worth of light. Rather disappointing. So in an emergency I'm going to need all 4 just to get most of the way through the night in one room. One other design detail they could improve: when you want to reduce them down to the minimal size they are a bit awkwardly amorphous. I think some other designs squeeze into a better, tighter shape. Not a big thing compared to the main problem. I'll be trying to find some other version.

Faroe Islands (Bradt Travel Guides)
Faroe Islands (Bradt Travel Guides)
by James Proctor

3.0 out of 5 stars USEFUL BUT ONE EXPENSIVE FLAW, 13 Sept. 2016
Useful; glad I got it. However, it recommends getting an expensive Travel Card which entitles you to either 4 or 7 days unlimited use of buses and ferries. Sounded like a great idea so immediately upon landing I bought one for myself and one for my girlfriend, the 4 day version at a cost of 1000 Danish crowns or $US150. I was not staying in the capital or Klaksvik where maybe this would have been an acceptable deal. Once I got to my accommodation the owner pointed out that the bus service is quite infrequent and not necessarily at optimal times. So on top of these Travel Cards, which we were able to use one time, we had to pay for car rentals. The good news is that if you rent from the locals you can sometimes get much better deals than through the car rental companies. The worst deal is to rent from the big guys (Hertz, etc.) or at the airport. Ask the owner or manager of your accommodation if they know someone.

By the way, the Faroes are one of the most spectacular places I've ever been to. It's rainy and often cold but still absolutely stunning. Photographs can't capture the often 270 - 360 degree natural magnificence in which you're often engulfed. We really want to go back. But it's expensive.

Coleman Tatra 3 Backpacking Tent - 3 Person, Green
Coleman Tatra 3 Backpacking Tent - 3 Person, Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Small But Mostly Well-Built, 11 July 2016
The interior is small. Nice for one human. Could add a second smallish adult and be a little snug. A third would need to be a thin child under rhe age of 10. 3 average or large sized adults? Hahaha. No ventillation at back of tent so probably want to sleep with head by door. And diagonally. Otherwise looks like a well constructed tent. Im hoping it's a 3 1/2 season tent; so even winter in light snow. Heard one collapsed under 10cm snow. But doesn't snow too heavily where l am and if risk of heavier snow will add a tarp shelter over tent. Bought this locally though l'm a big Amazon enthusiast. Best tent l could find for the price. Seriously considered Marmot Limelight 3. But more money and structure-while tops for interior space- looked unlikely to survive weight of snow.

Spring And Port Wine [DVD]
Spring And Port Wine [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Mason

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated & Boring; Here Are Other Suggestions for Mason Fans, 18 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Spring And Port Wine [DVD] (DVD)
Dated and boring. Had me literally falling asleep within 15 minutes. At least it was expensive; that's money which I wish I had back. To be precise, I'd give it 1 1/2 stars. The acting is passable, some of the lines lightly amusing. Besides the wildly misleading customer reviews-normally Amazonians are much more reliable-I bought this because I'm a big James Mason fan. If that's your motivation, try The Verdict (1982), The Shooting Party (1985), The Deadly Affair (1966), Five Fingers (1952), The Upturned Glass (1947),The Seventh Veil (1945) or The Man in Grey (1943). Mason made more really good ones but maybe there will be something in this bunch you'll enjoy. Brian Tlougan, author, A-list: The Best in Cinema and TV, The Second Edition (2014).

Blood On The Fields:Marsalis [Wynton Marsalis,Susan Shaw ] [ARTHAUS : 109214 DVD]
Dvd ~ Reese Witherspoon
Offered by Art Cub

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE! NO ENGLISH!, 21 Sept. 2015
Beware! This edition of Freeway, an American film, is in German with no English language or subtitles. This language info needs to be displayed more prominently.

Gaolbreak/Danger By My Side [DVD]
Gaolbreak/Danger By My Side [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Reynolds

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good!, 17 Aug. 2015
Gaolbreak, aka Jailbreak in the US, received an astonishingly low rating on IMDb. I'm glad I relied on my fellow Amazon customers' high praise to take a chance on it. I found the film tight, compelling, adequately believable. Definitely worth discovering. Its companion, Danger By My Side, lived up to it's similarly low rating. It was so badly acted I didn't make it through the first five minutes. Get this combo to see Gaolbreak. By the way, you can find my book, A-list: The Best in Cinema & TV, The Second Edition, on Amazon. Sales have been concentrated in the US so if you want to read some reviews go to Amazon.com. I bring this up because I have lists of A-rated viewing recommendations if you enjoy this genre.

The Great Debaters [DVD]
The Great Debaters [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly, An Excellent Film, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Great Debaters [DVD] (DVD)
Denzel Washington is my favorite actor. This is one of the last of his films I hadn't yet seen. I'd been putting off getting it because it certainly wasn't going to be an action film and seemed highly likely to be smarmy, saccharine, politically correct children's fare. Happily, my impression was absolutely wrong. It's excellent. Denzel's perfect, as usual. Compelling cinema. Brian Tlougan, author, A-list: The Best in Cinema & TV, 2nd ed (2014)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7