Profile for sanddrifting > Reviews

Content by sanddrifting

sanddrifting (Somerset UK)

Dynamite Steps
Dynamite Steps

5.0 out of 5 stars 'forgot you were broken........my mistake' Incredible lyrics and vocals from Mr Dulli, 7 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Dynamite Steps (Audio CD)
So it has taken me a while to review this album.......... because I don't think that I can express just how good it is................
The Afghan Whigs drew my attention in the 90's with Greg Dulli's incredible emotion both lyrically and vocally, highlighted by what has continued to remain my favourite album of all time , 'Gentlemen'.
As the Whigs slid away into history and the Twilight Singers emerged I believed I would always feel deep down that the 'Singers would never fulfil me in the way that the Whigs did.
So Annie Mae was a great song , Blackberry Belle is a good album , She Loves you was a good idea , Powder Burns contains some superb tracks.......... and they are almost as great live........... Yes , that is the Twilight Singers............ but now....... here is Dynamite Steps.
Dynamite Steps does so much , it makes me feel the same as when I listen to Gentlemen. The reason being that all that Greg Dulli emotion in both the lyrics , and most importantly his vocals is back in force.
From the first track Last Night in Town, hauntingly , gently building up, ...'Whenever you're here you're alive...... it builds and builds , it lifts off , until it sinks you into the pain of ......'I promise to be with you till the end , or somewhere near there......' The paces slips back for Be Invited and slowly eases into Wave which then crushes you hard ........'muddy water ,broken glass' slightly distorted vocals ,full tempo, right through ,drums , guitar, alive!!!
Then it all eases back again , Get Lucky, piano, violin before presenting us with On The Corner.
The tempo slips away for Gunshots and She Was Stolen then into Blackbird And The Fox. It's the emotion , that emotion, the lyrics , the vocals....
The Twilight Singers , like the Whigs before them , don't allow your interest in an album diminish by top loading it , and sure enough , next up are two of my favourite tracks , firstly Never Seen No Devil , as Dulli whispers ....'ain't no ordinary man gonna save me from that shotgun in your hand......then , just when it surely can get no better, The Beginning Of The End........'I do what I want to , I calculate'.....slipping towards that same nervous tingle felt from some of the tracks on Gentlemen (and baby you be sweet, be sweet ..................be sweet )
So the album closes with the title track which allows the saga to drift off in a similar vein to Gentlemen. ( oh , and I must emphasize that these 2 albums are not in the least bit similar!!) though it lifts towards the end as Dulli sings ....you'll never gonna feel like you felt last night.
Then , we start the album again , and again...

As Promised
As Promised

4.0 out of 5 stars then there where none, 16 Mar. 2008
This review is from: As Promised (Audio CD)
Early 80's californian band Red Scare played shows with the UK Subs and the ( uk ) Subhumans , fronted by the unmistakeable Bobbi Brat ,they cut a refreshing sound that produced one album , 'Then there were none ' . Shortly after this release they split , but reformed again and started to record some new material before coming to an abrupt end with the sad untimely death of Bobbi , to cancer . This C.D consists of that album , along with various other demos ( including brilliant re-recordings of 'Don't look in the basement ' and 'Red rum ', that featured on the Meathouse comp along with the likes of the Minutemen and Crucif**ks , and are worth the price of the cd alone , and a live recording from Los Angeles in 1984. Certainly one of the most notable bands from the early 80's L.A scene, with a very different sound, and this C.D , dedicated to the memory of Bobbi Brat , consists of all their recorded material. I hope you check it out and enjoy it.

Perpetuum Mobile
Perpetuum Mobile

5.0 out of 5 stars I dreamt last night!!, 17 July 2004
This review is from: Perpetuum Mobile (Audio CD)
The first time I ever heard this album I thought Bad Brains. All these years later and I still do not know why. The only connection is that it stands in my top 3 debut albums along with the Bad Brains rock for light and MDC's millions of dead cops.
This is an album that is apreciated as an album , every song is superb and each runs into the next as a pefectly honed machine.Yvonne Duckworth's (hopefully no relation to Vera and Jack )voice bounces along from song to song , sends tingles down your spine and makes you believe that she is the greatest female rock vocalist that ever lived , and , of course , she is!!!
I want to pick out my favorite tracks , but it is hard , I'll go for the last 2 , What you see and Thirteen. What you see runs smoothly and quickly to build you up to a nice chilled Thirteen that is going to leave you disappointed at hearing the last song.
After this album things kinda went more along the metal lines , but if you like your punk with rock and some ass kicking female vocals this is the album for you , German band , American singer formally of Combat not Conform . Give it a go , it's great !!

First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers
First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers
by Loung Ung

5.0 out of 5 stars reduced to tears, 1 July 2004
If you have a heart or you don't have a heart , this book will reduce you to tears . Never in my life has any piece of work or any story reached so deep in to my soul . I only have to think of this book , this story , and I start to choke up , my eyes water . Think of the worst thing that has happened in your life , and I can assure you that after reading this book it will not seem so bad !
Loung Ung writes about what she experienced , what her family ,friends , companions , experienced during those dreadful years in Cambodian history in the mid 1970's .How she dealt with the pain and suffering , both physically and mentally , to herself and those around her is told in mind numbing truth , her expression of guilt at ignoring the terrible injuries of those around her at times was proberbly the thing that toached me the most . As a 5 or 6 year old child what else could you do but walk away from someone hideously injured . But in all honesty would you admit to that afterwards , I know I could not but this woman tells everything as it was .
I do not think that for the rest of my I will ever be able to admire someone as much as I admire Loung Ung . Being of a similar age to her I can think back to what I was doing during that time and it makes it all seem so much more real. I wish her well in all the good work she is doing now and say to anyone thinking about purchasing this book to do so . You will not regret it and it may just change your outlook on life

Statement (Ltd)
Statement (Ltd)

5.0 out of 5 stars a piece of my life, 3 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Statement (Ltd) (Audio CD)
I would figure that anyone looking to purchase this recording would already know the poison girls . To me they were a huge influence on my life , from listening to their recordings to seeing them live . To Vi's birthday celebrations at Glastonbury in 85 , then London in 95 . It seemed that whoever liked them was part of one big family .I would say buy this c.d simply because it contains everything , and on top of that it is beautifully presented .Long live the memory of the Poison Girls !!